United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 40s
Overall Rank = 213/500
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 21/32
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:45 and left home at 4:30, rode with Mike and Dickie, followed Bryan out to the race. Set up transition and headed to the start early this time
Event warmup:

Swam about 100 yards at the start area
Swim
  • 12m 43s
  • 550 meters
  • 02m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

Pretty good swim. I felt like I would have been ranked higher considering how good I felt. I started out strong, rounded the buoys really well, sighted very well, and actually drafted off off other swimmers pretty well. Not sure where I lost ground to the others.
What would you do differently?:

Longer, smoother swimming mid race. I think I might have been working too hard mid race and could have gone faster by swimming smoother.
Transition 1
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

Not a great T1 time, I had a little trouble getting into my shoes. I had forgotten to unlace them before the race, so I had to unstrap them and that probably cost me 10 seconds. Need to get on the bike and up to speed a little more quickly

Get my shoes unstrapped
Bike
  • 39m 24s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride. Passed quite a few people on climbs. Got totally Aero on the descents. Didn't pedal much on the descents and still managed to get up to 37 mph.

I should have gotten a little more speedon the downhills before going into the aero, 45 mph would have carried me a lot farther. I could have pedaled on the flats after the downhill a little more. Easy pedalling could have kept my speed up a lot longer. I did use the downhills to rest my legs a little and stretch for the run
I got my shoes off on the actual bike, but I did it too early. Next time I need to plan my shoe removal better.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

My fastest T2 yet. Racked the bike from the front handlebars which was much quicker.

Nothing
Run
  • 27m 23s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Good Run. I was expecting a minute slower. Saw that Bryan was not too far ahead of me and that helped me keep my pace up. Passed a few in my age group and worked on catching one last guy in my group. He was 100 yards up with about a half mile to go, closed within 20 feet and couldn't keep the pace, he pulled away and just before the finish I threw down a mad sprint and got him by a second

More heart rate training. Slowly but surely it is paying off even though my average HR was out of control today (185)
Post race
Warm down:

Beer, Glorious Beer! Some Pizza and then, More beer!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I did about as well as I could have done today. I think I could have hit the bike a little harder, but not too much without compromising my run.

Event comments:

Very good race, especially considering that this was the inaugural year.

Last updated: 2006-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:43 | 550 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 22/32
Overall: 0/500
Performance: Good
Suit: Bike shorts and Under armour shirt
Course: The swim was a pretty flat course. The water was so clear and the temp was pretty warm. very calm water, but there was a slight current going against us.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:39:24 | 13 miles | 19.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/32
Wind: Little
Course: Good course. Most was very smooth, but there were a few spots in Clearwater that were pretty rough. On the first bridge there were a few pothoes that could have collapsed a rim, so you had to keep alert. Good hill coming into Clearwater and then two great big bridges going back. The Memorial Causeway and the Sand Key Bridge were great. I haven't done any real hills before and I loved them.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:23 | 03.1 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/32
Avg HR - 185 Max HR - 192
Course: Flat out and back. one little out and back near the beach and one long out and back down gulf Blvd followed by a long lap around Sand Key park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes