General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Triathlon Series - Denver Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Danskin Women's Triathlon Series - Denver - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Denver, Colorado
United States
Danskin Women's Triathlon Series
98F / 37C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 33s
Overall Rank = 103/2304
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 15/324
Pre-race routine:

had to wake up at 3 frickin' 30 AM to get there on time, geez! got a flat tire last night and so i had to drive 85 miles to the race on a doughnut spare on which i couldn't go faster than 50pmh..... HOLY COW.... anyway, woke up and packed some breakfast to eat on the way at exactly 3 hours before "go" time. banana, PB bagel, oatmeal, 32 oz of gatorade and some coffee. i was set!
Event warmup:

my main concern was to get used to the water temp and to be sure to warm up. probably did 200 meters - felt AWESOME.
Swim
  • 18m 44s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

well - i've been in the pool 4 TIMES A WEEK for the last month trying to prepare for this and it wasn't worth a squat. NOTHING can prepare you for a mass wave start and getting trampled. i started off good but was constantly run over by people who could only swim in zig-zags. it SUCKED. i even had to tread water a couple of times to let people get passed which really messed up my breathing and any kind of pattern i was trying to get in to. it was tough although despite all that, i must say it was kind of nice....! last night i worked on visualizing having a smooth, great swim and i believe that really helped me as i aimed for that the entire time.
What would you do differently?:

i really have no idea. get 100 people together to jump in the OW at the same time and then go balls out bashing into everyone in my way?!?!?
Transition 1
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

this transition area was HUUUUUGE and so it took a while to run barefoot to my setup. i struggled a little getting my gloves on, which was retarded. then we had to walk our bikes forEVER to the bike start - seemed like wasted time to me.

dunno. not wear gloves? or perhaps DRY my hands off before i try putting them on??? tee hee
Bike
  • 36m 26s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.76 mile/hr
Comments:

i had an AWESOME ride - it was SO much fun! i was haulin' on the way out as i maintained 26-27mph for most of the flats and topped out at 36 on the downhill. it was fast, energetic and i just kept passing people! WOO-HOO!!but once i hit the turnaround i quickly discovered why i was cruising along at such speeds - oh yes, the wind. the headwind was tough, especially for the climbs. i tried to stay aero as much as i could even though i don't have aero bars (just balance my forearms on handle bars, eek!) but i'd say i did pretty well at my average mph since the highest (including elite) was 24mph. i LOVED this part of the race!

absolutely NOTHIN! well, maybe drink a little more, but it always takes away from my momentum. need to work on that
Transition 2
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

this went smoothly - legs felt great right off the bike
Run
  • 26m 26s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

oh MAN, it was SO HOT by this time. the forecast was for 102 degrees today and my run was at like 9am. so it was the high end of the 90's and there were NOT enough aid stations. they really should have had one set up at every mile. my pace on any given day was slow - but relative to everyone else dealing with the heat, it was rather competitive. even the elite's didn't run faster than a 7:20 mile - some were even at an 8, which says a lot. that's definitely on the slower side. i honestly thought i was a lot faster than that but it just goes to show how much heat can zap you. but my energy level was ROCKIN as my negative split worked beautifully. the first 1.5 was smooth as i gained control over my body and once i hit the turn around i stepped it up. i only got passed by 3 chicks who i tried keeping up with but since they didn't stop to drink, i lost them. during the last 1/4 mile is when i started picking up my pace a lot - then started to sprint and then noticed a chick was "one-uping" me and i know what THAT means, so ofcourse i couldn't just LET her, so the race was ON!!!!! we BOOKED it to the finish line - it was a good 60 yard dash and i will never know who beat who because we were so close. it was AWESOME!! and WHERE that burst of energy came from, i have no idea, but it was exhilerating!!

start to pick up my pace earlier - i was surprised how much energy i had left in me once i challenged myself.
Post race
Warm down:

drank a ton and walked around with my mom and puppy dog with a wet towel over my shoulders

What limited your ability to perform faster:

well..... i am a little frustrated. i guess it just takes practise swimming with the masses because had my swim time been better (and it would've been a lot better had i not been run over a million times) i MAYBE could've been in the top 5?? 15 out of 342 is AWESOME for me!! but i can't help but think that i would've taken 5th if i shaved a few minutes off the swim. i have the bike and run speeds to be really competitive... it's like, i can TASTE top 5, though it's just outside of my reach. but hey - i'm new to this and there's a little time left before the season is over. i will NOT complain though, finishing in the top 4% is something i'll remember FOREVER =)

oh ya, and the HEAT was the MOST limiting factor.... OMG

Event comments:

really disappointed over the lack of drink stations. they should've known it would be BLISTERING hot like it was.

Last updated: 2006-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:44 | 880 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/324
Overall: 914/2304
Performance: Below average
Suit: none
Course: triangle, with the start line RIGHT NEXT to finish line. too close for comfort
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:26 | 12 miles | 19.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/324
Overall: 38/2304
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: out and back with some fun rollers.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:26 | 03.1 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/324
Overall: 93/2304
Performance: Good
Course: out and back
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-16 9:48 PM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)
Subject: Danskin Women's Triathlon Series - Denver

2006-07-17 4:18 PM
in reply to: #484223

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Danskin Women's Triathlon Series - Denver
WOW. 15! An excellent performance!! Congrats!

Okay, you are clearly experienced, while I am a lowly n00b. But here was my swim strategy anyway:

I am a super confident swimmer. It's my best sport (which you can tell by comparing it to my run performance :P ). So, since I figured I was going to blow the pants off of most of these girls in the swim, I made sure I was at the front of my wave at the wade-start. I was in the "second" row of people, but with a good eye to a hole that i could slither through. I took off very fast, not doing too much sighting on the principle that the farther you are away from your endpoint, the less energy it takes to correct an error in course. I was able to shoot out in front this way. I ran into a little trouble when I caught up to the wave in front of us right before the first buoy, because I couldn't make the turn very tightly. Once I got on that final straightaway, I took an inside path (tempting fate a little on the "the start line and finish line are right next to each other!" issue), which kept me from too many entanglements.

So I guess, only having one data point to prove that this works, coming out in the front of the pack and having a superfast first 200 is my strategy. Mostly that has to do with ego, which translates into a lack of fear. Whatever works, I suppose.

Again though, congrats on an excellent performance. I aspire to your running greatness.
2006-07-17 4:28 PM
in reply to: #484223

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: Danskin Women's Triathlon Series - Denver
you know you're a triathlete when after every race you look back at where you could have shaved off a few minutes! i think you did a fantastic job. these races are big and crowded which will effect your overall speed too. and - use a wetsuit. i just got one (well, last fall, on super clearance at rei). i had two sprints back to back - minneman july 1st and danskin july 9th. the minneman swim was shorter and the water was 78 degrees, so i didn't use my suit. my 100yard pace was 2:02. at danskin, the swim was longer and the water was 70...AND i really wanted to try it out one more time before my HIM. my 100 yard pace was 1:35. course might have been measured long at minneman (so others told me), but even that wouldn't have made such a huge difference. it was the wetsuit. anyway, you had a fantastic race.

note to self: work on negative splits!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Triathlon Series - Denver Rss Feed