General Discussion Race Reports! » Got Energy Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Got Energy Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
West Salem, Wisconsin
United States
La Crosse Area YMCA
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 43m 33s
Overall Rank = 67/149
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/10
Pre-race routine:

Nothing special...egg white and toast breakfast.
Event warmup:

I just got in the water for a swim warm up.
Swim
  • 14m 7s
  • 450 yards
  • 03m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was only my second open water swim. My first was the day before the race. Fortunately there were pretty big waves on my practice swim which made me better prepared for the bigger waves on race day. I did have a short bout of OWS panic on Saturday, but by the time we left I knew I would be okay. I owe all the credit to my racing partner...although he probably won't want any association with a 14 minute swim!

One of the hardest parts of the swim was the first 100 yards...not because of my panic, but the panic of those around me. They were cluttering up the swim course making it difficult to navigate. After I got through that things were better. The waves were pretty big, but I never panicked and I finished the last 100 yards pretty strong.

I think it was my wife who was happiest to see me emerge from the lake!
What would you do differently?:

More swim training....maybe some lessons...but mostly more OWS practice and practice in the wetsuit. It is probably the swim that prevents most from participating in triathlon. That was the case for me too. So getting this done...and actually passing people on the swim was a HUGE accomplishment.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

Third fastest in my age group! I didn't feel like it was that great, but better than most I guess.

Not much...it went fine.
Bike
  • 56m 29s
  • 17 miles
  • 17.92 mile/hr
Comments:

A very good ride for me. I just got clip in shoes installed about a week ago and they seemed to make a big difference. There was a lot of wind, but the road seemed pretty protected. I stayed in my drops for much of the ride and just stayed in the moment. I was shooting for just under an hour on the bike so I am ecstatic with the 56 minute finish.

I just got the bike a couple of months ago so more experience would have helped. But other than that I am very proud of my bike time. I am excited to see what I can do with more practice.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Middle of the pack on this one. I hurried, but didn't kill myself either. I got YANKS for my shoes to help speed things along.

Just move a little faster.
Run
  • 29m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Most of my experience is as a runner. I am not a fast runner, but I've done plenty of running. I had some lower back pain during the run, but I worked through it. The first mile was tougher and slower than I would have liked, but the second half of the fun went a lot better. I enjoyed encouraging the other runner along the route. As I neared the end I got a little emotional because I knew I had done it...and done it pretty damn well!

I would probably take more advantage of the downhill portion of the course. I ran faster on the uphill.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugs and hand shakes for friends and family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It would help if I were 20 pounds lighter an shad trained a little more, but I am not going to be too critical here.

Event comments:

This a great race and it welcomes first timers. There were lots of volunteers and things ran pretty smoothly.

Last updated: 2013-01-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:07 | 450 yards | 03m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 0/149
Performance: Below average
Suit: Blu Seventy Full Wetsuit
Course: Out about 100 yards and turn right at a buoy. Another 200 yards or so across the lake. Another right turn for the final 150 yards yards or so. There was a lengthy uphill run out of the water to the timing mat at the transition entry point.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:56:29 | 17 miles | 17.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/10
Wind: Some
Course: Out through some neighborhoods to a loop on country roads. There are rolling hills with one pretty big climb. The course finishes through the same neighborhoods we went out on.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:29:29 | 03.11 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/10
Course: Winds through some local neighborhoods and is mostly an out and back. Downhill out and uphill back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-09 3:30 PM

User image

Subject: Got Energy Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Got Energy Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Got Energy Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by trei
Views: 1016 Posts: 4

2012-06-12 10:10 PM ransick

Elite Energy Huskinsson Long Course

Started by neilcarter
Views: 793 Posts: 1

2012-02-20 7:56 PM neilcarter

Elite Energy Sprint Triathlon

Started by churrell
Views: 626 Posts: 1

2011-10-18 7:51 AM churrell

Dextro Energy Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Started by johnston007
Views: 615 Posts: 1

2011-09-19 6:49 AM johnston007

Dextro Energy Triathlon - Sprint

Started by vApoLY04
Views: 1264 Posts: 7

2009-06-27 8:10 PM Z
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
comments : 0
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
You can spend a small fortune on these pre-wrapped bundles of energy, thinking they offer magic ingredients-not true. “Energy” simply means “provides calories” and not “will make you feel energetic."

date : January 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Energy bars and fluid replacement drinks have their place – and will surely be the subject of future reviews – but there is nothing quite like the immediate lift an energy gel can provide.