General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key Biscayne, Florida
United States
MultiRace
Total Time = 57m 30s
Overall Rank = 16/327
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

Same as usual. I woke up at 4.30 am and had breakfast (100 gr cereal with Nesquik and fat free milk). Pack the car and eat a toast before leaving for the race around 5 - 5.15 am.
Event warmup:

Swim 100 - 200 yards to get use to the weather.
Swim
  • 07m 20s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

They changed the direction of the swim due to strong current and waves and I believe the distance was shorter than 0.25 miles based on my time and the time for the rest of the participants (I messed up and didn't turn my Garmin on when we started swimming). However, regardless of the distance, I never came so up front out of the water both for my Age Group and Overall, so I guess training is working well.

I am very happy with my result, swimming was a real struggle for me when I started with triathlons and I put a lot of time on the pool and the ocean. It feels awesome to see that it is paying off!!

Strategy: For the first time I positioned myself towards the front (I was in second row) rather than towards the middle-back of the pack. I felt that after a few triathlons under my belt I should be able to handle a wave start. My strategy was to sprint until the first buoy and hold a good pace after the turn.

Execution: I think I executed it perfectly. I got to the buoy with the leading pack and the turn was a lot less crowded than usual, the rest of the swim was easier than usual too due to having to deal with less swimmers. I was also able to hold a fast pace for the rest of the swim. My only issue was with a guy that I was passing, he hit me right on my head/side face and almost knock my goggles out. It didn't bother me much, so I just kept focused on swimming.
What would you do differently?:

I think this was my best swim ever, so I don't have much where to pick. However, I believe I still don't take advantage of drafting. I don't know how to draft and I definitively need to learn as it will become more important for longer races.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Overall Place: 41/327
Category Place: 2/11

Since they change the swim course, the run from the swim finish to transition was longer than what we expected. However, instead of being a disadvantage, I took advantage of the longer distance to pass 5 guys that were slightly ahead of my on the swim.

Everything went pretty well, except for putting my bike gloves on. Even though I left my gloves fully open and ready, I struggle to get my right glove in. I guess my hand was still pretty wet.

I always have issues with my gloves. My bike gloves are about 8 years old and are specific for mountain biking. I may look to see if there are some gloves out there that are easier to put on.
Bike
  • 26m 23s
  • 10 miles
  • 22.70 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was pretty crowded during the second lap and near the turns. People didn't know how to turn very well and they slowed down a lot, which forced me to slow down to due to the lack of space to pass getting close to the turns.

Strategy: Go hard. The bike is my strongest leg, but I always hold back to be able to have a run split. However, I have been training my run heavily and I thought that for once I could try to go hard on the bike and hope that I can still have a good run.

Execution:
a. I had some trouble getting started. I did a fly mount and I didn't practiced at all since my last race (over a month ago). I really had some issues trying to get my feet in the shoes. It cost me some time, I even think I would have been faster not to fly mount.
b. Other than that, I felt pretty good during the bike leg. Although the course was pretty crowded due to having to do 2 laps, I managed to go at the pace I wanted almost all the time. I went hard all the time, except for the last mile when I took some time to give a break to my legs and drink a little bit before starting the run.

Overall, I am very happy with my bike split. I barely trained on the bike due to focusing heavily on improving my swim and run. I trusted my bike background and it didn't let me down. I know that I can be a lot faster though, I will definitively start getting on the bike more regularly.

Practice my fly mount more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

Overall Place: 33/327
Category Place: 4/11

Everything went pretty smooth, even though I didn't practiced transitions since my last race.

Not much. I got my transition routine well planned out and I think I execute it decently. I am sure that if I practice it more, I will be a little bit faster though.
Run
  • 21m 59s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Running course wasn't very fast, since we had to go through trails and beach, still I was able to get a PR for a 5k! Never broke 22 min on a 5k (run only or tri run) and that was my goal for this race, so pretty happy with my time

Strategy: Go hard from the beginning and hopefully be able to hold a fast pace towards the end.

Execution: I started fast, very fast for my usual running pace (in the low 6 min/mile). I was able to run under 7 min/mile for the first 2 - 2.25 miles. After that I hit the beach and it was hard to run fast on sand. Luckily one guy passed me at this point and I stayed with him until the last .2 miles when I passed him after increasing my pace again to finish strong.

There were only two aid stations and I neglected the first one, When I reached the second aid station I was very hot. I should have poured some water over my head at the first aid station as I did when I reached the second.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing special. I went back to the end of the run to meet my wife and friends to wait and cheer for our other 3 friends who were also competing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Some transition hiccups (bike gloves and shoes) plus being a little bit hot on the run.

Event comments:

On the negative side, it was good to change the swim direction due to strong current, but I didn't like how the swim was cut short (a lot shorter than what it should've been). The bike course was crowded, especially the second lap. Finally, the race started 5 minutes late and the awards ceremony 15 minutes late (not a big deal anyways).

Overall, it is a well organized race. Lots of local people, fun events, and fast course. Plus it is 10 minutes away from my house, which is a big plus. I will keep doing it at least once a year.

Last updated: 2013-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:20 | 440 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 24/327
Performance: Good
Suit: Louis Garneau Pro Trisuit
Course: Swim from shore, turn left at the buoy, and turn left again at the first buoy to swim back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:26:23 | 10 miles | 22.70 mile/hr
Overall: 25/327
Wind: Some
Course: Two 5 mile laps with three u-turns, another sharp turn, and speed bumps. Not ideal, but it was flat and fast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:59 | 03.1 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Overall: 16/327
Course: Trail run with about 0.25 mile beach run
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-06-09 7:25 PM

User image

Miami
Subject: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1

Started by velorider62
Views: 1962 Posts: 5

2008-06-25 12:05 PM velorider62

Started by feliperubio
Views: 1681 Posts: 4

2008-06-24 11:59 AM feliperubio

Started by carisima
Views: 2646 Posts: 7

2008-06-24 7:48 PM Mimir98

Started by Big Sexy
Views: 1871 Posts: 4

2008-06-25 10:11 AM feliperubio

Started by feliperubio
Views: 1132 Posts: 1

2007-06-24 7:33 PM feliperubio
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : May 18, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 3
How to get faster and still keep your job and family
date : February 22, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
Is cycling the true cause of my overactive bladder problem? Is there some alternative to medication?

date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Cinci41
comments : 1
My thinking was that with three events, I could vary my training enough so it wouldn't grow stale prior to seeing positive results and finding the additional motivation I needed to continue training.

date : July 31, 2005
comments : 5
Your self-image serves as the operating instructions of your subconscious computer. If you don’t change the operating system, you will be doomed to repeat your past mistakes.
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
“Less is more,” is a common buzz phrase in endurance sports today. It refers to the trend of training less but focusing on intensity and quality rather than on quantity.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
You ride hard enough that you are working but not so hard that you can’t do the same thing the next day. 700 km or 400 miles a week.