Bridgeman104 Duathlon
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 12s
Overall Rank = 156/325
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/19
Pre-race routine:

I was lucky enough to be staying at a friends house in the city so instead of having to get on the road at 3am and drive in for the race I was able to sleep in. Woke up at 430a and it was storming pretty bad. Sipped on some Gatorade and ate a bowl of oatmeal and half a banana before heading to the race site.
Event warmup:

No real warm up, figure I need all my energy for the race. By the time I got to the race site the rain had stopped and the sky was clear. Walked a few yards from the parking garage with my gear to transition, then stretched a bit. Talked to a friend who was doing his first multi sport event. Found the portojohn, sipped on some more Gatorade then stood around a bit for my wave to start.
Run
  • 18m 30s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

I went pretty conservative out the gate because I didn't want to totally bonk on the bike leg which I knew was going to take a lot of effort. I could have gone faster looking in hind sight.
What would you do differently?:

Not worry so much about holding back for the bike and just trust my training and run faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

I fumbled around in T1 for some reason, just wasn't too focused and my time reflects it.

Focus! Stay in the mental racing zone.
Bike
  • 35m 47s
  • 10.08 miles
  • 17.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I went in a bit intimidated by the bike leg having to climb the MS river bridge. My area is flat and I'd only done a few "hilly" rides in training. Before I even got to the climbing portion of the course I had a water bottle fly out my rear hydration system, but lucky for me it was the bottle with only water and not the bottle with Gatorade in it. I did much better than I anticipated. I saw a few folks take nasty spills as the roads weren't completely dry and the RD covered some of the grates on the bridge with plywood so it was stable but unstable while riding over those few sections.

Get more hill training in. Not my fastest bike split but I'm happy considering the course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Again, I was a tad bit unfocused cause I was thinking about getting back on that levee with the ups/down and then my last duo bad run was in my head! I wasted time with my sunglasses of all things. Not sure why I decided to wear them considering I don't usually on the 2nd run, just rock the visor and go.

Just get my shoes and visor on and get the hell outta T2!
Run
  • 20m 47s
  • 2 miles
  • 10m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Wheels kinda came off on this run yet again. The sun was beating on me but I didn't "feel" bad but I was willing myself to get in gear and it wasn't happening. All of my bricks in training have been fine and much faster, but for some reason it didn't carry over. I stopped to walk at least 3 times and 2 of those times was to dump water on me. I'm not pleased with this run because I know I can do/be better. Good thing is I didn't cramp at all on this run, first time I can say that this year! Combo of better fitness and better electrolyte intake.

Stronger mental fortitude to HTFU and just keep pushing myself.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited around for my friend to finish. He unfortunately had gotten a flat on the bridge. A monsoon passed through so I stood underneath a tent with a beer and some jambalaya waiting for the storm to pass. I stayed thru the awards because they were giving a road bike away and I could use a roadie! Too bad I didn't win it haha

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Was off my mental game big time!

Event comments:

This was a great race as its not every day I get to bike over the MS river. Course was very scenic and lots of volunteers out there.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-06-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:30 | 02 miles | 09m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/19
Overall: 0/325
Performance: Average
Course: Both runs were on the MS levee, was up and down for the most part.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:15
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:35:47 | 10.08 miles | 17.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/19
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Bike course was thru downtown Gretna and along the MS river then up and over the Crescent City connection bridge where we climbed to a great view of the city of New Oreleans, made a U-turn then headed back to transition.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:47 | 02 miles | 10m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/19
Performance: Below average
Course: Back on top of the levee, out and back
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-12 9:51 AM

User image

Baton Rouge
Subject: Bridgeman104 Duathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bridgeman104 Duathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bridgeman104 Duathlon

Started by sand101
Views: 859 Posts: 1

2012-06-14 10:26 PM sand101

1st Muncie Sprint Duathlon and Double Duathlon

Started by ghopper18
Views: 1129 Posts: 1

2010-05-17 6:59 PM ghopper18

PB&J Duathlon (Law Day Duathlon)

Started by nccgrap
Views: 1723 Posts: 1

2008-05-03 8:01 PM nccgrap

National Capital Duathlon - International Duathlon

Started by 42at44
Views: 923 Posts: 1

2007-08-04 9:39 PM 42at44

Bridge City Duathlon (Duathlon - Sprint)

Started by stbrrn
Views: 1080 Posts: 5

2007-05-01 7:27 PM Artemis
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
My first duathlon was a success. I had so many fears before the race but none of those fears happened. And when it was all over, I felt I had accomplished something big.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is new to duathlon and their goal is to complete a sprint duathlon without difficulty. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who is an experienced duathlete and their goal is to complete a medium distance duathlon without difficulty.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was wondering if this is a sensible approach? Should I get "better" on short distance and then move to something longer or do what I want if I feel I can do it whatever the time?"

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.