General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stress Fracture Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-13 11:10 AM

Regular
, Ohio
Subject: Stress Fracture
Just wondering if any of you have dealt with this issue. I won't know if it's a stress fracture until the MRI, but the sports doc seems to think that's what it is based on the heel pain. We thought it was Plantar Fac or Plantar Ten, but leaning this way now. The pain is centralized in the front of the heel , not sure if that means anything or not.

2013-06-13 12:19 PM
in reply to: jletterhos

User image

Subject: RE: Stress Fracture
could be a heel spur associated with PF. Warming up your calves and plantar muscles of your foot prior to getting out of bed would be a good idea if you have either of those.
2013-06-16 6:09 PM

Have not had one in the heel area, but have had one in the second metatarsal and it hurt like heck. Could not put any pressure on it without come pretty severe pain - had to walk on the side of my foot. I've had PF in the same foot and while that hurts when it gets inflamed (esp. upon waking until the foot stretches), it's nothing compared to the pain I had from the stress fracture. They really feel like what they are - PF feels like a strained tendon and a stress fracture feels like a broken bone - that's the best way I can explain it.
2013-06-17 9:42 AM
in reply to: fitnesskelly

Regular
, Ohio
MRI is this wednesday so we will see. I can put pressure on it, heck I rode 90 miles on Saturday and never had an issue. I have been rowing instead of running with no issues at all. I am currently wearing a boot, when I take it off and walk or stretch it's fine...sore but doable. I am so hoping its a bruised heal/bone spur, I only have 12 weeks til Iron Distance and really need to hit the running and bricks.
2013-06-17 11:28 AM

I was not able to ride, so maybe that's a positive sign. Hoping for the best for you!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stress Fracture Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Suggestions for other activities to do while recovering from a stress fracture.

date : February 22, 2012
How long does it take to heal a stress fracture? How should my training look when trying to get back into it?
date : May 9, 2011
Stress fractures are one of the most feared injuries in the realm of endurance sports and they are also one of the most common sidelining injuries that such athletes face.

date : July 9, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Amenorrhea can cause loss of calcium from the bones, almost a three times higher incidence of stress fractures, and long-term problems with early osteoporosis.
date : July 30, 2006
comments : 1
Besides the obvious rest and strengthening/PT around the ankles, what can I do to further find the root cause and correct it? Also, what are doctors’ stances on active release?

date : July 3, 2006
Is there anything that I can do to lessen the chances of stress fractures. I have had no luck with the doctors I have seen. Some have advised orthotics, some say there is nothing that can be done.
date : January 1, 2006
Early diagnosis and proper care from a sports medicine trained physician are essential for good management of a stress fracture. This will help avoid complications in the future.

date : July 5, 2005
I started tri training last July. Right now I am recovering from a stress fracture in my hip and I can't run. Any advice regarding keeping motivated?