General Discussion Race Reports! » Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Katy, Texas
United States
Houston Racing Triathlon Club
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 35s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 29/35
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night in Katy, with Lisa, so I wouldn't have to start the day at 3 am to make a 5:30 am transition set up. Worked out nicely. Work up early, finished getting things together, had some breakfast. We packed everyone into the SUV and left for the race.
Event warmup:

Hung out in the pool area to watch it play out. This was my firt pool race so I wanted to really see how it worked. Interesting. Jumped in for a quick swim with Lisa (lisaj1) and Bonnie(Mrs Fish) before I had to get in line to start the swim.
Swim
  • 08m 3s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was like a training swim except I kept running over the person in front of me. I passed once but then got behind her again. I had to stop twice but the refs finally held her up for me to pass again. Hard to keep a steady pace.
What would you do differently?:

Pass and keep going. I was hesitant to pass and then not have enough steam to stay ahead.
Transition 1
  • 04m 28s
Comments:

Too slow. I wear socks and I also try to rinse off before getting my helmet on. Have to train on this more.

Train, train, train. I don't practice transitions at all except for mental walk throughs and obviously this is not enough.
Bike
  • 45m 52s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall it was very enjoyable ride. I didn't set my computer up correctly so I was not completely certain about anything, time, speed, etc. I just tried to keep it the same throughout the ride. My feet fell asleep, first the right then portions of my left. Weird feeling so I tried to move them a bit and stretch them out.

Set up my computer prior to trying to do it in transition so I know what I am really doing. Ride more, ride more, ride more. Since I have been riding on my trainer, I have learned to change gears without problems or worries.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 time included in bike time. I tried to get out quickly, didn't really have any problems except that my feet were asleep. I wasn't certain I would be able to dismount and still remain standing. I managed it ok but it was a strange sensation. My left butt cheek also seemed to be affected. Thanks to Bill, he directed me into transition!

Figure out why my feet fell asleep.
Run
  • 37m 14s
  • 3 miles
  • 12m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot and I started completely out of breath from the bike. I trotted for a bit rather slowly to try to get the feeling back in my feet and butt. I walked for a little bit after turning the second corner but then found an easy pace to maintain and tried to keep it going. I ran through the water sprayer they had at mile 1 aid station and drank each time I went through a station. I walked through the stations. It was nice once you got to the lake because there was more shade but I still walked more than I really would have liked to. I was able to pull up some reserve after coming past the last aid station and ran pretty well to the end. It was great to have fellow BT folks at the end cheering wildly as you passed, it was a great push for the end. The ice towel at the end was the greatest thing ever. I walked about for a bit to cool down and headed for the food and drink hut.

Run more in the heat and eat more on the bike. I am not great for a good nutrition plan and feel like I need more energy to begin the run. I will also try to work on the bike to run transition as well. I need to slow down or find an easier gear about a mile out to feel more comfortable getting to the ground from my bike. Practice, practice, practice.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking, holding tightly to my ice towel. I stretched a bit but not enough then picked up a bagel and some gatorade. I thought about a beer was too hot and wanted to cool down first.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am pushing really hard on the bike and not leaving enough for the run.

Event comments:

It was really nice having folks you know around both racing and volunteering, it was a great time. Special thanks to Lisa and her family for their hospitality, it made the event a much nicer experience.

Last updated: 2006-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:03 | 328 yards | 02m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:28
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:52 | 12 miles | 15.70 mile/hr
T2 time included in this time
Wind: Some
Course: Mainly down a country road with some city riding. Not bad all together and there were plenty of people keeping us on course.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:37:14 | 03 miles | 12m 25s  min/mile
Course: Out of the park, down the street, up the sidewalk, across another street, turn around and come back into the park, then around the lake and back to the finish within the park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-17 1:14 PM

Master
Houston
Subject: Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon

2006-07-30 11:34 PM
in reply to: #484954

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Subject: RE: Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon

Hey gal...I'm just now catching up on reading RRs!  Nice report and GOOD job on the race!  It was nice having you here and going to the race together.  We'll be doing it again soon! 

The BTers at the finish line IS the best when you are trying to get your last bit of energy output!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon Rss Feed