General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Tri Trinona - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Life Time Tri Trinona - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Winona, Minnesota
United States
Life Time Tri
58F / 14C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 15m 52s
Overall Rank = 105/406
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 21/52
Pre-race routine:

They say everyone has that race that they want to quit but keep going. That would be this for me.
Event warmup:

I wanted to get a good warmup in because the water was so cold. I went to the left side of the starting line and on my third step into the water stepped on a large piece of metal that split my toe open and also gave me a puncture wound. With about 10 minutes to start time I limped over to first aid where they weren't even set-up yet. I got some bandaids and tried to stop the bleeding but by this point my foot was covered in blood. I wrapped 3 bandaids on my toe and decided to try doing the race. I got back to the starting line with about 1 minute to spare, completely out of breath.
Swim
  • 09m 46s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt good for about the first minute, then all the bandaids fell off and I felt sharp pain. The second half of the swim I don't myself I would quit once I got back to shore.
What would you do differently?:

Not be injured
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

I decided to keep going. This was actually a good transition under the conditions. I had trouble clipping in do to the rain coming down and everything being very slick.

Clip in faster
Bike
  • 38m 34s
  • 11 miles
  • 17.08 mile/hr
Comments:

So disappointed with this bike leg. My foot only hurt when I would really pedal hard. There was a lot of sand on the road and with the rain it made it hard to go as fast down the bluffs. Last year I was going over 30 mph on the back end. Not this year.

Find a place to practice more hills, those are killer.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Normally I wear socks on the run but they were soaking wet and I knew I could not get them on with ll the blood on my foot. Got in and out quickly.
Run
  • 23m 47s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where it really hurt. I could see my shoe turning red and feel the squishing of blood at the bottom. I kept going and ran right to first aid through the finish line.
Post race
Warm down:

I got the wound cleared out. I had to get a tetanus shot later that day. They said the gash was too wide for stitches. Now I am out 2-3 weeks in the middle of my Ironman training to try to heal. Very disappointed they wouldn't try to clear out the start line of dangerous objects.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Slicing my foot open.

Event comments:

Normally love this race, but hard to rate too high this year with that injury. Also bummed that first aid wasn't ready to go minutes before the race to really help with my injury before hand.

Last updated: 2013-01-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:46 | 440 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/52
Overall: 168/406
Performance: Bad
Suit: Wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:38:34 | 11 miles | 17.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/52
Overall: 169/406
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:47 | 03.1 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/52
Overall: 89/406
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2013-06-19 11:31 AM

Olathe, Kansas
Subject: Life Time Tri Trinona - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Tri Trinona - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Life Time Tri Trinona - International Course

Started by bjones101071
Views: 859 Posts: 1

2013-06-12 8:37 AM bjones101071

Started by DTraitor
Views: 1405 Posts: 1

2013-06-09 9:32 PM DTraitor

Started by BloomingRunner
Views: 2012 Posts: 4

2013-06-10 10:12 PM PBrr

Started by tmvolk00
Views: 1062 Posts: 1

2013-06-09 7:22 PM tmvolk00

Started by tmvolk00
Views: 840 Posts: 1

2013-05-28 5:05 PM tmvolk00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.

date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.