Charlottesville Multisports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 13s
Overall Rank = 44/185
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 4/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early. Coffee and cereal. Thinking maybe I should only have 1 cup on race day. Drove to town. Arrived at race site at 7:10. Nice to have a race in C'ville. Easy drive.
Event warmup:

Got a good parking place at the church (definitely where to park). Then the trouble started. Pumped up my rear tire and started pumping my front when it went flat. Had to quickly change it. Done... still plenty of time. But by the time I got to the transition area. It went flat as well. Now, I had no spare. In 6 years of doing tris, I always wondered if the bike support folks were there for everyone or just a particular team. Time to find out. Shawn from Blue Ridge Cyclery fixed me up in no time flat (so to speak). Thank you thank you thank you. With that repaired. Finished the set-up, got marked, got chip and got down to the pool at the end of the pre-race meeting. Not the best way to start the day, but Shawn got himself a fan!
Swim
  • 06m 51s
  • 350 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

Caught up to the first person after 100m. Caught two more on the last lap. That means someone's estimate was off by 45 seconds vs. mine. Oh well. Other than that... nice to swim in a 50m pool. Seemed quicker than most pool swims. Definitely felt in good swim shape.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Fine. Probably could have gone a bit faster actually.
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

Still slow in this transition vs. competition. Got a bit hung up putting on the shirt.

Maybe need to go back to shirtless.
Bike
  • 44m 46s
  • 12.75 miles
  • 17.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Needed to do a better job at keeping momentum going from the downhill sections. Was really glad I had been doing the Skyline Drive training. Passed lots of bikers in the 1st half of the course and then more or less held my own. Tough to find time to drink and it cost you when you did. First time I ever actually wished I had a water bottle up front.

Better job on the momentum. Overall though, a pretty good ride on a challenging course. Definitely wasn't a course for beginners.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Fine. Hesitated about taking 10 seconds to get more drink. Decided against it.
Run
  • 26m 53s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Walked through the aid stations b/c was feeling dehydrated, otherwise just kept plodding along through the first two miles, but really have been feeling stronger on the runs this year. Did a good job shortening the stride length and picking up the turnover on the uphills.

Not much. Was passed by a bunch of young folks. Probably had 6 pass me and I passed 2. Not too bad.
Post race
Warm down:

Thanked Shawn again. Drank a bunch. Was a bit buzzy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Didn't get to do my pre-race routine, but I don't think it mattered too much. By the time I started, stress level had subsided.

Event comments:

Nice race. Challenging course for a pool sprint. Thanks to all the volunteers and a special thanks to Shawn at Blue Ridge Cyclery who saved my day! They were also great to donate a bike to the cause - even Karen bought some raffle tickets.

Last updated: 2013-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:51 | 350 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 41/185
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:46 | 12.75 miles | 17.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/15
Overall: 42/185
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Wow... for a sprint, that was a challenging bike course. Lots of turns in the 1st and last mile b/c of detour (won't be as bad once Old Lynchburg Road construction is finished). But couldn't push it there... really had to pay attention to signs and arrows in road. They could have used a few more volunteers, but no wrong turns, so I guess it was okay. Had to pay attention to traffic. Once on the main route, lots of up and down. Looking at the elevation map, you'd never have realized it. Never able to get in a grove. Never had to use the top gear, but felt like you spent the whole time going up and down the derailleur.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:53 | 03.1 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/15
Overall: 44/185
Performance: Good
Course: Really liked the run course. Challenging from about .5 mi to 2.0 mile. Some gravel. Last .75 mile or so you could really cruise into the finish.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-29 2:33 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: Jefferson Sprint Triathlon

2013-07-01 7:38 PM
in reply to: #4791451

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Jefferson Sprint Triathlon
Great job overcoming the flats! Sounds like a challenging bike course. Just missed the podium in 4th...nicely done. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jefferson Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jefferson Sprint Triathlon

Started by kidtri33
Views: 920 Posts: 3

2012-07-11 12:26 PM kidtri33

Jefferson City Sprint Triathlon

Started by Leegoocrap
Views: 1565 Posts: 1

2009-10-13 8:50 AM Leegoocrap

Jefferson Heritage Triathlon 2006

Started by Sharona1973
Views: 1681 Posts: 9

2006-07-19 7:27 AM sappho96

Jefferson Heritage Triathlon

Started by kpar
Views: 929 Posts: 2

2005-07-19 8:27 PM Manatee Express

Jefferson Sprint Triathlon

Started by grvfrog
Views: 1276 Posts: 7

2005-07-20 2:42 PM Alpine87
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.