Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I need a laptop - recommendations? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-19 2:44 PM

User image

Veteran
san francisco, ca
Subject: I need a laptop - recommendations?

Hi Tech Savvy BTers...

I'm starting back at school FULL TIME this fall (MBA in Sustainable Management - www.presidiomba.org/) after working for 5.5 years.  Woo-hoo! 

I need a laptop.  It should be:

• portable - fairly light weight, don't need the huge wide screen for DVDs
  • pretty fast - I'm going to have this one for a while
  • good network (WLAN) connectivity
  • adequate USB ports, etc for connecting to external monitor, printer, USB drive
  • decent amount of disk space, but I'm not a gamer
  • have DVD/CD R/W capabilities
  • Windows (never had a Mac, don't really feel like learning new UI)
  • Not sure about the need to go to Windows Vista...?
  • Prefer to spend under $2000 total (including sw)

Any recommendations?  Brands, series within a brand? 

Must-have components?  Processor type, speed?  AMD vs Intel chips? 

Hugs and thank you!

Kelly

2006-07-19 2:52 PM
in reply to: #487368

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-07-19 2:59 PM

Giver
Subject: RE: I need a laptop - recommendations?
kirby - 2006-07-19 3:44 PM

Get a Mac. Ths OS is super easy and you'll actually be able to own it for more than a year without it going completely to shite. 

2006-07-19 3:06 PM
in reply to: #487378

Extreme Veteran
Sturtevant, WI
run4yrlif - 2006-07-19 2:59 PM

kirby - 2006-07-19 3:44 PM

Get a Mac. Ths OS is super easy and you'll actually be able to own it for more than a year without it going completely to shite. 

YES! GET A MAC! I have an iBook, and I love it. The OS is SO easy to learn (not to mention that it's immune to viruses.) My dad was a PC guy his whole life, and after his 5th computer died, he finally got a Mac. He loves it so much he wants another one.

If you're really hooked on Windows, go for the new MacBook. (It's the new laptop if you go to apple.com). It runs Windows and Mac OS, and it's a bazillion times faster than any PC you'll ever buy...

If you're looking to save money and you're willing to switch to Mac OS, click on the big red "SALE" tag on their website. That's where all the refurbished Macs are. (They're computers that someone bought and sent back because they realized they wanted a "bigger one".) I have a refurbished iBook G4, and it's WONDERFUL!!!

I could go on and on about how great Macs are for DAYS, but the others on this site might get annoyed...
2006-07-19 5:55 PM

Veteran
Aurora, CO
Get a MacBook!

I got mine about a month ago, and can't say enough wonderful things about it. It's lightweight, runs like a dream, and contrary to popular belief, will run any software you want it to. The MacBook is especially good because it has a dual processor, so you can run Windows on it if you want to (but who in their right mind would want to?).

And talk about user-friendly. WOW.

Okay, I'm done gushing about my MacBook.
2006-07-19 7:05 PM

Master
portland, or
One more "get a mac" recommendation.

You should be eligible for the student discounts from apple. 20% off list, plus they're running some additional specials right now.

I just ordered a Powerbook 2.0ghz dual intel processor with 1gb RAM and 80gb HD for my stepdaughter. Included with it is a 2gb Nano and a HP all-in-one printer. ~$1,750 and I get $270 of that back in rebates. Net $1,480.

You can run windows with Mac's bootcamp (free), or parallel ($80). I recommend parallel. You can run both OS's simultaneously. With a second monitor you can literally have windows on one monitor and OSX on your laptop.

I've owned mac's for 20 years so I'm a bit biased. Currently using a MacBook Pro 2.0ghz dual intel and love it. It replaced my first edition G4 Titanium which was (is) still functional with only RAM and OS upgrades after 5 years of heavy use.

scott

2006-07-19 7:16 PM

Mesa
Hi Kelly,

Check out the Dell Latitude D620. I just got one a few weeks ago. It has everything you listed and is upgradeable to Windows Vista when that comes out. I'd go with the Intel Core Duo 2GHz processor, Windows XP SP2, 1GB RAM, 80GB hard drive, DVD burner, extra battery, and Bluetooth. If you need to get on the internet when you're on the go, and don't want to deal with finding a wi-fi hotspot everytime you need to get online, you can get a built-in Verizon or Cingular broadband access card. Verizon's service is an extra $60/mo. So far I've been very happy with mine. If you have questions, shoot me a PM.

Mark
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I need a laptop - recommendations? Rss Feed