United States
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 54m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:15am. Double checked the gear bag one last time. Kissed the wife goodbye and headed to the event site. Excited to attack my first 1/2 Ironman.
Event warmup:

Set up gear in transition and put on the wet suit. The water was a balmy 75F which meant wet suit legal. Had a good 15-20 min relaxed swim prior to the start of the pro waves.
Swim
  • 42m
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

take 10-15 sec at the 3 turn to identify the buoys instead of following the crowd (who also couldn't see squat).
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

T1 went off without a hitch. Wetsuit/swim cap/goggles off. Helmet on head, sunglasses on. Shoes on. Quick swig of water and it was out to the bike leg.

Not a thing.
Bike
  • 3h 06m
  • 56 miles
  • 18.06 mile/hr
Comments:

By mile 53 my legs were screaming. Keep in mind that I'm a big boy riding a clearance road bike I picked up on the cheap at my LBS. All I was thinking the last 3 miles was, "get me off this %$@^ bike".

I would have gone a little easier on the bike leg.
Transition 2
  • 05m
Comments:

T2 was nothing to write home about. My legs were so shot from the ride that just making it to my rack took a massive effort. I took an extra 2-3min just sitting on the ground drinking gatorade and it felt so right. With socks/shoes, glasses, hat, and race belt on it was onto the run leg.
Run
  • 2h 58m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

My tired legs were not up for a run that day. Having transitioned into triathlon from marathon running, I was expecting to dominate the 1/2 course. With my tired legs, heat, and about 2.5 miles into the run - the return of a nagging patella; there was a lot of run/walking strategy on display. Emphasis on the "walking".

Lengthen the distance of my ride/run during brick workouts. A 56/13.1 session feels a lot different than 30/6.
Post race
Warm down:

Once I crossed the finish line all i could stand to do was keep from collapsing. I had the onset of an intense headache followed by a dizziness I had never experienced. I found a spot to sit down and drank a bottle of water. My wife acted as a back rest. Once I got my bearings straight it was off to the athletes tent for some well-earned calories. Chocolate ice cream never tasted so good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience.

Event comments:

A fantastic race for anyone interested in distance racing. There is a reason the Ironman brand is the gold-standard for Tri events. They simply know how to put on a race. If your thinking about racing Muncie, do it. The course will challenge you, but the staff/volunteers are there to support you every step of the way.

Last updated: 2013-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:00 | 2112 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Sleevless
Course: Muncie offers an in-water start. Once the gun went off it was a feeding frenzy for the inside position. Once out it open water the pack began to spread out. The first 900 meters was well marked with yellow buoys. The next 300 at the turn was well marked as well. Coming back to shore was total sun blindness! The fact the buoys were orange didn't help matters either. After introducing the back of my elbow to the jaw of some overzealous age grouper and few corrections back on course It was off to the races for T1.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:06:00 | 56 miles | 18.06 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Relativity flat with slight rolling hills. Some stretches of road were a bit rough and more than one rider was seen on the side of the road dealing with a flat. The volunteers were AMAZING and very prompt to get you just what you needed as you called out for nutrition, water, etc. It was nice to see the locals sitting at the edge of their driveways supporting the athletes.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:58:00 | 13.1 miles | 13m 35s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Rolling hills. The race director described it as "challenging" in the pre-race meeting. Again - a HUGE shout out to the volunteers. They are one of the main reasons the day was such a success.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-14 7:41 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman Muncie 70.3

Edited by MUohio 2013-07-14 7:44 PM

2013-07-15 5:57 PM
in reply to: #4803836

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
Subject: RE: Ironman Muncie 70.3
Great work and SUPER FAST transitions! Great report!
2013-07-16 4:32 AM
in reply to: Fatboy32

User image

Pro
Congrats and good race report.
2013-07-17 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
Montana
I never felt inclined to do a half-iron before, but you've done it, I'm inspired!
2013-07-18 1:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice job on your first half IM! It's tough to have a good run when your legs are smoked but sounds like you pulled it off! If you didn't do it this time, try to get in a decent amount of 50+ mile rides before your next HIM and you should feel better starting the run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Muncie 70.3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Muncie

Started by andyrph
Views: 680 Posts: 1

2013-06-09 11:39 PM andyrph

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by beadams
Views: 2124 Posts: 3

2011-07-10 7:41 PM Oldteen

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by marathongirl11
Views: 2439 Posts: 7

2011-07-12 4:41 PM jillian_o

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by
Views: 1052 Posts: 1

2011-07-10 8:18 AM

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by brendon_moody
Views: 2874 Posts: 7

2013-01-05 7:24 PM MFConlon
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.