General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Left big toe hurts on long rides Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-20 4:30 PM

User image

Subject: Left big toe hurts on long rides
I posted this in the injury section but got no relies. Way too late to do anything about this for my IM next week but whatever, I'll toss it out there. When I'm riding my bike for 3+ hours, my left big toe begins to really hurt. It's a pain in my toenail but I've felt a tendon or something spike up, painfully from my toe all the way to my ankle, randomly when it starts to hurt. It's gotten to the point where I've stopped, taken off my shoe, and massaged it while riding on the trail. It feels better for a bit but it's a hit or miss if it goes away.

After I'm done biking and put on the running shoes and go for a run after biking, my foot feels just fine. I want to say that this has just started happening in the past 2 months. Before that, I did get up to 4 hours of biking in for my long day and I don't remember any issues. I have the same shoes and the same bike. My right foot/toe feels just fine. Is it my shoes? Should I try to wrap my toe in medical tape during my IM to see if it's a rubbing issue? Sucky I didn't figure this out sooner but it is what it is.

Edited by Blastman 2013-07-20 4:50 PM

2013-07-20 6:34 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Subject: RE: Left big toe hurts on long rides
Which part of your toe? The front? By chance are your toenails too long?

Is it the bottom? Maybe the bone under you big toe is getting swollen?

I had problem with my right foot-on the bottom/side on the joints behind 4/5th toes. I used a metatarsal pad for my foot and it really helped.
2013-07-20 7:29 PM
in reply to: LPJmom

User image

The toenail part of the right side is where my pain is. I also noticed that the right side of the toe is a little numb (the outer most part of the side toe) which suggests it's rubbing but I don't feel it rubbing at all. I looked this up and people say it could be cause the shoe is too tight and I tried to keep it looser to see if that was it but nope. My toe nails are pretty much non-existent due to running. That's a separate issue and I just bought bigger running shoes since over the past 3 years, it appears my foot got a little longer. I just got these bike shoes ~8 months ago though and my feet don't swell nearly as much as they do when running.
2013-07-20 9:22 PM

User image

Possible ingrown toenail?

Did you check with your doctor about the foot pain?
2013-07-21 9:11 PM
in reply to: LPJmom

User image

No, toe nail looks fine. I don't think a doctor will tell me anything since it only happens when I ride. If it happened all the time, then I'd see one. I'm thinking it's shoes or my bike/cleats needing an adjustment but I don't know what. Hoping someone else has seen this issue before. Going to ask my LBS and see if they can recommend anything.
2013-07-21 10:13 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Sounds like your shoe doesn't fit your toe correctly.

Have you tried riding with your foot on top of your shoe to try to improve things? I've done that in an IM and find it more time effective than stopping. Then put my shoe back on.

In the end I ordered custom bike shoes to deal with my issue of foot pain when I rode for 3+ hours when it is hot out.

2013-07-21 10:28 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Regular
Alameda, CA
I've had that a fair bit on longer rides. I often feel like after awhile I tend to push down using my toes more than the front of my foot (right before the toes start), when I concentrate on it, I never get the sensation you are describing. But when I do not concentrate on it, I do tend to get it on the longer rides.

To be fair, my shoes are getting old and I think if I got new shoes or changed out the soles that might also fix the problem. But who knows. I'll get new soles someday and report back.
2013-07-22 8:38 AM
in reply to: jaegee

User image

Veteran
Denver area
The only time I've ever had a black toenail was from a century ride. My big toe on my left foot felt exactly as you described. I finally sucked it up and bought different cycling shoes - shape and size.
2015-07-21 6:42 AM
in reply to: #4809643

I had this exact thing happen to me Sunday, I hit 40 miles and suddenly I got this toe pain, I pushed through the last 25 miles with it in pain but I was hoping to find some solutions.

Maybe bigger shoes.
2015-07-21 7:10 AM

User image

Exton, PA
How do you ride? toe down? flat? heel down?

People tend to ride different, if this is happening only after hours in the saddle I would say to try and vary your foot position a little when riding. Like every 30 try to ride with you heel down for a couple minutes, this will help relieve pressure on your toes.
2015-07-21 8:03 AM

Master
Northern IL

Seeing how this was 2 years ago, maybe we'll hear from the OP to see what he's done since.

2015-07-21 8:13 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by brigby1

Seeing how this was 2 years ago, maybe we'll hear from the OP to see what he's done since.

Haha- love zombie threads :0) I should have checked the date.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Left big toe hurts on long rides Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Turf Toe (sprained big toe)....still feel it 2 weeks later

Started by MRDAVIDALEXANDER
Views: 1864 Posts: 3

2013-06-25 7:53 AM danimal123

Big toe hurts after race?

Started by MRDAVIDALEXANDER
Views: 662 Posts: 2

2012-06-04 8:33 PM ratherbeswimming

Inside of my big toe numb after long trainer rides

Started by TriAya
Views: 2359 Posts: 15

2012-02-17 11:06 AM raider75

Toes Hurt While Riding

Started by weissjaz
Views: 2383 Posts: 12

2009-09-15 6:45 PM nevergivin

Left elbow hurts when riding

Started by dwstrebel
Views: 664 Posts: 5

2009-07-03 4:07 PM dwstrebel
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 25, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
After I have been cycling for about an hour the three middle toes on my left foot go tingly and then hurt like the blazes. Any clue as to what may be going on?

date : May 18, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
I've just got back in the pool from a 2 week break and my triceps are killing me the whole time I am swimming. Wondering if someone has any ideas or tips to correct?
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : November 12, 2008
On the long bike rides of 80+ miles I get very strong pain in my toes. I slow down my pace and I might recover, but when I hit the next hill it is back. Could this be some kind of circulation issue?
date : October 15, 2008
At about the 1/2 mile mark my left soleus becomes extremely tight and painful. The pain then progresses into my left arch and then into my left knee.

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : May 30, 2005
author : tmwelshy
comments : 6
I’m only slightly thick in the head, but there is a gremlin-ish energy in the air as I prepare for my run. It occurs to me that this is not gonna be a comfortable 8 miles. This is gonna hurt.