NYC Sports Commission
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 37m 46s
Overall Rank = 626/2291
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 121/349
Pre-race routine:

Since I was in the midst of a pretty bad cold I debated quite a bit about whether I should actually do the race. Plus due to being incredibly busy the last several weeks my training has been almost non existent--not that a little deconditioning would keep me from racing.

Obviously, I decided to go for it. So I dragged my congested head, sore throat, cough and baseline fatigued body to the race early enough to set up the transition area before it closed at 5:45 am. I had another two hours to burn before my wave. Walked around with Joe and Josh and watched the early waves go.
Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 22m 48s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim performance depended heavily on location within the swim lane. The further outside toward the middle of the river, the stronger the current. Guess where I ended up? I was pretty much sitting all the way on the inside of the lane, to the point where I had to deviate out twice to miss hitting an inside buoy. So I had much less of a current to carry me to the end. My actually swimming, which seems secondary to lane position in this race, was probably ok. I was pretty tired from the start, but held decent form.

What would you do differently?:

Swim toward the outside. Look at the overall results for this race and you'll see the swim times are absurd. Several finished under 12 minutes, which is crazy.

Done right, this swim would be a blast.
Transition 1
  • 05m 56s
Comments:

There was a long run from the swim exit to the transition area. My overall time wasn't that bad. I got out of the wetsuit more easily than normal. I was much more tired than usual when I got out of the water, likely effects of the cold. That slowed my speed getting to the transition area.

Not much. Racing healthy would help.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 12s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.37 mile/hr
Comments:

This is usually my strongest leg, and this race was no exception. I had a relatively subpar performance, which I attribute to my cold. But given the scenerio I pretty happy with how I did.

The course was very crowded with bikes. Most people were respectable and obeyed the rules. I didn't see any flagrant drafting.

I did have some fun near the end of the race. Two other bikers and I kept passing each other, pushing the pace. Near the last turn around I responded to getting passed yet again by putting on the after-burners. I succeeded in dropping my two competitors, and was feeling pretty good about myself. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that there was quite a ways to go after the last turnaround, which was also up hill. My legs were absolutely on fire after pulling away from the other two riders, but I couldn't suffer the humiliation of letting them catch me at the last minute. I kept pushing until the dismount and managed to keep them at bay.

I did well considering my cold.

I didn't drink enough, which is becoming a chronic issue during races. I only managed to get down 1 bottle of Gatorade. My goal was 2 bottles. I need to drink more.
Transition 2
  • 04m 9s
Comments:

The T2 time very high, reflecting the fact that after a pretty quick T2, I started the run without my race belt and had to turn back to get it about 1 minute into the run. Oops.

Well, this one is obvious.
Run
  • 51m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I had nothing left in the tank for the run. I was dragging big time. I seriously almost started walking during the first couple of miles. It was really hot and the sun was a killer. Dehydrated, undertrained and sick doesn't translate into a great run split. I persevered and gradually got my running legs and felt a second wind. By the end I was holding a decent pace, but too late to make up for lost time.

Drink more on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and took in fluids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training the last few weeks may have slowed me down somewhat, but running the race with a pretty bad cold really took its toll. This was the second race I've run with a cold, and this cold was much worse. Overall, I'm happy with the results.

Event comments:

This is an extremely organized race. But like others have already posted in race reports, between registering at a hotel far from the transition area, having to really stretch out the waves, the general grossness of the Hudson river, and finishing the race over 1 mile from the transition area, there are several logistic problems.

It is very cool to race in Manhattan--and having the whole course closed to cars is a great bonus.

It will be on my race schedule again next year.

Last updated: 2006-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:48 | 1640 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 256/349
Overall: 1598/2291
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full
Course: Straight downstream 1500 meter swim.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:12 | 24.85 miles | 20.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 68/349
Overall: 234/2291
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling course on closed road. A few challenging hills, but nothing too extreme.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:09
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:51:43 | 06.21 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 123/349
Overall: 870/2291
Performance: Bad
Course: Rolling course from transition area through Central Park. Nice run. Very steep--and unexpected--hill right out of the transition area to get to street level. That one hurt.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes