Ironhead Race Productions
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 23s
Overall Rank = 204/356
Age Group = F 55-59
Age Group Rank = 2/10
Pre-race routine:

Got up early to have my oatmeal and coffee and plenty of time to rack the bike on the car and drive the 40 minutes or so to the race. Got my transition set up quickly and ended up with a great rack spot, very close to the bike in/bike out. Walked down to the water and on the way I had to walk down a snaking ramp and saw what I thought was a cat, but as I turned the corner it was a possum, standing on the handrail! Too funny!
Event warmup:

None, I could have gotten wet, but there just didn't seem to be enough time before the pre-race meeting. I did get my swim cap on and my goggles ready, and had my Gu with some warm water out of the water fountain.
Swim
  • 08m 32s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was lucky enough to be in the first wave which was men and women 55 and up. Most of the athletes were hanging back by the shore, I moved up to the buoy for the start and this time started on the outside rather than the inside. Gun went off, got up to speed pretty well, felt good. Rounded the first buoy and suddenly people were really dropping off, and I ended up with 2 guys, I was 3rd out of the water for our wave, first female. I think this was measured a bit long, felt like my time was at least 10 seconds per 100 off from what I usually do for an OWS. Water was WARM!
What would you do differently?:

Not much, felt like I gave this a good effort, had good sighting and pretty much a good swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

This transition includes a LONG uphill run up this snaking ramp from the river (where I saw the possum earlier). The 3 of us that came out of the water about the same time were neck and neck running up the ramp. Ran all the way to my bike, got switched out and got out of there...

Not sure how I could have made this faster, felt like I did it as fast as I could.
2nd AG
Bike
  • 39m 23s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 18.92 mile/hr
Comments:

I was a bit disappointed in my speed, I've averaged over 20 on this route, but that was before they chip sealed it, not sure if that made a difference. Also, because I was very early out of the water, I didn't have a lot of folks to chase down. Eventually the swim wave behind me (20-29) started passing me, and when I crossed the dismount line they told me I was the 3rd woman in, even though I had only seen one pass me. I knew I was still in the lead for my AG.

Maybe ride with the Garmin? I could have ridden a little harder, and without it I really didn't know how fast I was going.
Transition 2
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

I was 3rd AG for this transition, and I thought I was faster! Racked the bike, got the bike shoes off and running shoes on, grabbed the rest and ran out. I did have a longer run to get out of transition since I was closer to the bike in/out, but not sure why this was kind of slow.

Do it faster! Practice getting my shoes on and off while standing up!
Run
  • 42m 30s
  • 3.45 miles
  • 12m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where things fell apart. Started off pretty well, but I was breathing hard, probably more noticeable since I'm used to running with an iPod. Had to walk twice in the first mile, and the 1st AG lady passed me here, and FAST, no WAY I was ever gonna keep up with her. But I didn't give up and kept chugging along, walking as I needed to, but by about mile 2.5 I was really struggling to keep going. At the 2 mile water stop I poured some ice down my bra, and that helped for a bit. Tons of people were passing me, lots of 20 year olds. Then a 60 year old lady passed and she was going a nice slow steady pace and I tried to pace off her and still had to walk. Then a 67 year old woman passed me looking really strong, that was a bit humiliating! Walked the final ramp up to the pedestrian bridge and then ran it as hard as I could (which was still pathetically slow). I felt like I left it all on the course in spite of the run sucking so bad, got my finisher's medal and an ice cold bottle of water and walked to a shady grassy area and just laid on my back for awhile.

At this point I don't even know what to do to make this better? I've done the bike both holding back and riding hard and honestly the run is the same. This is the one portion of my tri that has not fully come back since the melanoma, even though it is improving. I guess just keep training, and I think I need to add in some strength training and some speedwork.
Post race
Warm down:

Laid on the grass and tried not to pass out. Drank my water, went and checked results and cooled down before heading to the food tent which I hit twice... 1st time Oreos and a banana, second time more water and a piece of cheese pizza. Met some tri friends while waiting for the awards...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The *F*in' run!!

Event comments:

This is my favorite race of the season, and my 5th time doing it. I thought I really did well on the swim and the bike, I am more determined to whoop that run into shape, I will be unstoppable! And even though I placed, I am disappointed that this was my slowest time doing this race...

Last updated: 2013-05-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:32 | 400 meters | 02m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 37/356
Performance: Good
Pace = 1:57 / 100 yards
Suit: One Piece 2XU
Course: A rectangle, almost straight out from the start, across the river, making left turns till the finish.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:58
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:23 | 12.5 miles | 18.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 119/356
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on smooth roads. Very flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:30 | 03.45 miles | 12m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 291/356
Performance: Bad
Course: Basically a flat loop along the river. One hill to get up to the bridge to cross to the other side and another to get up to the historic pedestrain suspension bridge that crosses to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-28 2:07 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: TriWaco Sprint Triathlon

2013-07-28 5:53 PM
in reply to: #4815078

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
Subject: RE: TriWaco Sprint Triathlon
Nice race Hilde! Way to kick major butt on the swim. I don't know how you could bike without some kind of speed indicator. And the run, all I can say is I feel you on that one.... I think speed work is the way to go. Overall, it looks like you had a great race - bling is never a bad thing!
2013-07-28 8:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

What a great race!! You did awesome!

I don't know what to say about the run- I felt exactly the same way on mine . But all in all-you did it and podiumed!!!  

And the 67 YO woman who passed strong? Well, gives us something to look forward to.

Edited by Evergreen 2013-07-28 8:36 PM
2013-07-28 9:13 PM
in reply to: Evergreen

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
Great race. Sometimes that run literally kicks you in the butt. Running and more running will get that pace up. I wish we could have had a couple of degrees of your weather up here today. I couldn't believe how cold it was .
2013-07-29 7:21 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Great race report Hilde.

Sometimes the run just sucks...no matter how hard you train.  Sounds like your endurance is not quite 100% yet.  But it will come back!

It is pretty demoralizing to have much older runners pass...makes me probably go even slower once this happens.  So mentally...the ladies passing had more impact that might think.

Congrats on AG podium though!  Now we need some pics.

2013-07-30 11:08 AM

User image

New user
KY
Congratulations! Must be such an awesome feeling to be the first woman out of the water. You had a great bike, too, especially after that long incline. And don't feel too bad about the run. It was a little longer than most spring triathlons and you're fitness is still coming back. If you haven't been doing much speedwork, well; that is the key to improving the run fast! And don't worry about those fast 67 year olds- we have a 71 year old woman in my running club who still runs close to a 25 minute 5K!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriWaco Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TriWaco Sprint Triathlon

Started by CRBURT
Views: 983 Posts: 1

2012-07-22 8:08 PM CRBURT

TriWaco Sprint Triathlon

Started by grayson.meek
Views: 1002 Posts: 1

2011-07-27 12:11 PM grayson.meek

TriWaco Sprint Triathlon

Started by tnguyen1
Views: 1518 Posts: 2

2011-07-26 8:31 AM hildekq

TriWaco Sprint Triathlon

Started by brettboy05
Views: 1031 Posts: 1

2011-07-25 7:49 AM brettboy05

TriWaco Sprint Triathlon

Started by hildekq
Views: 1780 Posts: 4

2011-07-27 12:14 PM Sulcus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.