General Discussion Race Reports! » Music City Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Music City Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Nashville, Tennessee
United States
Team Magic, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 24s
Overall Rank = 43/425
Age Group = 25-29 Male
Age Group Rank = 2/20
Pre-race routine:

Per the norm, I was running late the morning of the race. Got there 20 min before transition closed, picked up my packet, and set up my bike and transition area as quickly as possible.
Event warmup:

Just walked down to the swim start. Did a few stretches, but that was it.
Swim
  • 06m 20s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not my best swim. After the second turn I spotted the wrong buoy, so I went a bit further than I was supposed to before I realized that everyone else (except for one other guy) had already turned. Then going toward the exit we were sighting into the sun, so it was hard to see anything, which made aiming for the exit difficult until you got close to it.
What would you do differently?:

Pay attention when they tell where the course goes. Sight the correct buoy.
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

There was a several hundred yard run to get from the river to transition. That went well. When I got to my spot everything went well, although I feel like I was fumbling just a bit to get everything done quickly. At the mount line I got on my bike but couldn't get clipped in, which was a little embarrassing. But since that was past the timing mat, that added time to my bike leg. Had the fastest transition in my age group, and it looks like the fastest overall was only 1:43.

Practice the transition a little more. Clip in better.
Bike
  • 41m 20s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt great on the bike! Was only passed by 4 people (until the "incident"), and I passed 3! At the end there was a bit of not-so-well-marked course, where we exited Ellington Pkwy and headed back toward transition. The sign pointed straight ahead, but there were cones across the road. There was a course mile marker just past the cones, and there was a rider several hundred yards ahead of me on the road. However, there was also an exit from the Pkwy that was not blocked off, which would have been the obvious way to go if there wasn't a sign that said go straight and a course marker on the other side of the cones! I slowed to a complete stop at the junction and then was passed by a group of three people who yelled at me that this was where we were supposed to get off. As I started following them I saw the guy ahead on the road turning around to come back, so I figured they must be right. Anyway, caught back up to them and finished strong. Felt faster than my time reflects, but again I took a long time to get clipped in and I also stopped on the course.

Practice clipping in. And actually read the course layout, so I don't have to rely on unclear signage (my own fault, I know...).
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Everything went smoothly here.
Run
  • 21m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt great on the run. The entire thing was a mental exercise, since there was nobody else on the course! There was a guy who left transition before me that I couldn't catch, then there were two people who passed me, and those were the only people I saw on the entire run. Weird. I was only 3 seconds off my standalone 5K PR, which is awesome!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, ate some fruit, watched the finish line for about an hour.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was pretty dehydrated from drinking the day before. Also, I wasn't well prepared in terms of knowing the course.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-04-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:20 | 400 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/20
Overall: 29/425
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: Rectangle swim in the Cumberland
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:41:20 | 12.43 miles | 17.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/20
Overall: 0/425
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: About a mile to get to Ellington Pkwy, then straight out and back from there.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:27 | 03.11 miles | 06m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/20
Overall: 48/425
Performance: Good
Course: Started with an uphill to go across the Pedestrian bridge, then wound through downtown up 1st, down 2nd, then up 3rd until the courthouse, then back across the river and around the stadium to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-31 12:11 PM

User image

New user
Nashville, TN
Subject: Music City Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Music City Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Music City Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by JoelO
Views: 1193 Posts: 1

2013-07-30 10:51 AM JoelO

Music City Triathlon Short Course

Started by pfolker
Views: 977 Posts: 1

2009-09-08 7:04 PM pfolker

Started by dbrawders
Views: 1215 Posts: 1

2009-07-28 11:51 PM dbrawders

Started by roch1009
Views: 1954 Posts: 7

2009-08-02 3:39 PM tnbasschaser

Started by orange223
Views: 1474 Posts: 3

2009-07-29 9:03 AM Timmeh!
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.