General Discussion Race Reports! » Siesta Beach II Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Siesta Beach II Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sarasota, Florida
United States
MultiRace
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 5s
Overall Rank = 112/212
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/21
Pre-race routine:

I did actually go to bed 'earlier' than usual, around 11pm. It was a fitful night as I have been sleeping on an inflatable mattress for the last month and getting up too early the days before.

We ended up getting up at 3:30 to drive to Sarasota. I did have a good carbo-load Friday when we took the kids to a lunch and a play ay a dinner theatre. Plus plenty of pizza that night.
Event warmup:

No warmup.
Swim
  • 10m 24s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

It ended up being a good swim for me. I held my place and did freestyle the entire time. The later waves didn't catch up to me per usual. I haven't had much swim practice since the kids have been out of school
Transition 1
  • 05m 20s
Comments:

This course featured a pretty decent run to transition. It's a very wide beach and then you have to go through more 'back beach' area. It's not horrible, just different.

My standard slow transition. This was an unplanned race so I had no racebelt, pinning my number on took a few minutes as I swam in my Tritop.
Bike
  • 44m 40s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 16.63 mile/hr
Comments:

I got passed by everyone. Looking at my training logs it is apparent why. My legs were strong throughout. I kept it 'slightly strong' so I could save them for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
What would you do differently?:

I probably could be faster, but I want to make sure I don't forget anything - not that there is anything to forget...T2 always seems 'too easy'.
Run
  • 27m 50s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

This is my strong suit as I consistently passed people on this...people that passed me on the bike. But it was tough. First mile was a little rough getting used to the sand. Second mile was strong. After the turnaround I started slowing down. The sun was getting up in the sky and it was incredibly hot. The trishirt couldn't wick enough sweat off of me to cool me. I think I slowed down the last mile, the heat was getting to me even though I have been training in this for awhile.

Running on sand, even packed sand just takes more out of you and I have only been training up to the 5k distance anyways.
What would you do differently?:

Ditch the shirt for some natural cooling.
Post race
Warm down:

I had to keep walking and pouring cold water over my head...the finish was a little too far from the beach to cool down quick.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. I train for fitness and to mentally 'check out' for awhile. I don't train for speed and that is why I consistently place where I do.

Event comments:

The race started later due to them not being able to setup on the beach due to sea turtles. It was about 30 minutes late. No big deal though. My only other minor gripe was that upon standing in line waiting to get my packet, I was told I needed to step over here to fill out a 1 day USAT sheet and get back in line. A sign indicating this would have been nice as checkout/registration a few days before I thought I payed for it already since I had to 'check' it.

I was also a little dismayed of the post race food. There was a lot of it, many assortments of fruit, bagels and croissant sandwiches...but I do love a good grilled hamburg or hot dog after a race - even if still late morning. Maybe that is just me.

I gave it a '5' though as the venue was superb and the race was well-run with plenty of volunteers and police at all intersections. You couldn't get lost and it was safe.

I love the ocean, I love the beach and it had the most gigantic, white sandy beach for the kids to play/swim the entire time. Plus it was a flat course. Plus running along the beach, as hard as it is, listening to the waves is very soothing.

I would recommend this to anyone as a must-do race if you love the ocean.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:24 | 440 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/21
Overall: 115/212
Performance: Good
Suit: BT Top and Bottom
Course: Just a U course, parallel to the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:20
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:44:40 | 12.4 miles | 16.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/21
Overall: 159/212
Wind: Little
Course: Up and down Siesta key. Perfectly flat, I stayed in 1 gear the whole time.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:50 | 03.1 miles | 08m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/21
Overall: 52/212
Course: This was a beach run down and back. I asked a girl that has done this before and she recommended doing it with shoes. I took her advice and I was glad I did. There was a big strip that got packed the night before.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-04 12:46 PM

User image

Champion
Subject: Siesta Beach II Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Siesta Beach II Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Siesta Beach I Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by marmick1775
Views: 1157 Posts: 1

2013-07-02 2:18 PM marmick1775

Siesta Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by kargs5krun
Views: 1387 Posts: 1

2012-08-05 9:20 AM kargs5krun

Started by jimmy raybon
Views: 1088 Posts: 1

2012-08-04 1:32 PM jimmy raybon

Started by TrkHilo2k
Views: 1361 Posts: 1

2011-10-03 5:26 PM TrkHilo2k

Started by jkehret26
Views: 1052 Posts: 1

2011-07-23 2:14 PM jkehret26
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
comments : 0
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.

date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 19, 2007
author : mpk
I went down to the beach the day before to scout out the course, and it was glorious...the sun was out, the sea was as smooth as glass, and only a hint of a breeze was blowing. “Perfect,” I thought.

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!