North Creek, New York
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 48s
Overall Rank = 47/279
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

You get on the train in North Creek and ride it to Riparius then race the train back to North Creek.

If you beat the train you get a medal with a gold ribbon if the train beats you then the medal has a purple ribbon.

We ran this in honor of Ells Jenkins, a family friend that passed away 2 weeks ago from a brain tumor. This was his favorite race of them all. So we made up special bibs and each of us wore tshirts of his from this race in previous years.
Run
  • 1h 00m 48s
  • 8.4 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Loved this run. Wasn't sure how my legs would respond only 6 days removed from Ironman Lake Placid but I thought they held up quite nicely.

I took it easy on the first 1.5 miles knowing it was uphill most of the way. Once that ended I picked up the pace significantly to see what I had. I wanted to keep Brian in sight for as long as possible. He's a much better runner than I am but I wanted him to be my rabbit.

Around mile 4.5 I caught up to him as he seemed to be fading a bit. He hung with me for another mile or so and then started to really fade. I slowed down a bit and waited for him at a water station but he was really struggling. At that point I decided to keep going with my pace.

After the race I did a fun run with Kelly and her boys so they could get some bling.
What would you do differently?:

Go a little harder in the beginning but I really had no idea how my legs were going to respond.
Post race
Event comments:

I thought it was a good race. Will do it again.

It's hard to say this but they had so many raffle items to give away it took forever to go through them....but you didn't want to leave in case you won something! So am I REALLY complaining about free raffle items? lol

I liked how low key it was...no frills but was a great deal of fun.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-08-05 12:00 AM
Running
01:00:48 | 08.4 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 11/279
Performance: Good
Course: 1.5 mile hill to start the race and then small rollers to the finish. Most of the course is on compact dirt. Beautiful run, mostly shaded and along the river.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-08-05 9:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Subject: Race The Train

2013-08-05 2:15 PM
in reply to: #4821245

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Race The Train
Nice pace - especially so close to your Ironman! What a fun idea for a race.

So sorry to hear about your friend.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Race The Train Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

500 Festival 10k Training Race

Started by japatter
Views: 824 Posts: 1

2009-05-16 7:02 AM japatter

500 Festival 5k Training Race

Started by japatter
Views: 645 Posts: 1

2009-05-16 6:58 AM japatter

Puffing Billy's Great Train Race

Started by bondgirl
Views: 1094 Posts: 1

2008-11-22 12:00 AM bondgirl

No Frills Splash and Dash Training Race

Started by ksb
Views: 861 Posts: 1

2007-06-20 9:44 PM ksb

Vulcan Tri Club Training Race

Started by KSMITH
Views: 1097 Posts: 6

2005-05-08 12:17 PM Motivated
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : January 20, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
Should I buy organic or standard foods? Fresh or frozen vegetables? Low-fat or fat-free milk? Get tips inside.
date : July 8, 2008
author : sportfactory
Training and racing with your body type mostly means a more analytical approach to both. Here are a few ways you can tip the genetic scale.

date : September 17, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 4
When it was over I felt a little sad. I had trained for twelve months and the race was over in 72 minutes. My goal was to not come in last which I wasn't. I was content with my accomplishment!
date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : April 24, 2005
author : mikericci
If you feel your base work is adequate, then here are five areas I would recommend you can work on before your first race.

date : March 20, 2005
author : mikericci
Now is your chance! If you want to prove that you should be training at a faster pace you can prove it by racing faster.