Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Chaparral Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-09 11:01 AM

User image

Subject: Chaparral
Anyone else this weekend? (other than the one I know)

I am hoping for my sake they say no wetsuits so I don't have to decide for myself. After several successful OWS with my wetsuit I hated wearing it in Okotoks last month. Looks like the weather will be good...........hope I didn't just jinx it.

Good luck everyone
Karen

2013-08-09 1:30 PM
in reply to: purestone

New user

Subject: RE: Chaparral
I am in, but unlike you, I signed up for this race to get another wetsuit OWS done. I have always had trouble with OWS, and this race is more to figure out what I can do to improve it. I have a bunch of strategies, but all that goes out the window if they disallow wetsuits.

Does anyone know if there are any options if they do disallow them? I heard that last year, wetsuits were disallowed, but you could change your distance at the last minute to sprint, where wetsuits were allowed. I have also heard at other races that after wetsuits are disallowed, you could still wear one, but that would exempt you from any prizes/podium positions.

Thanks
Gord.
2013-08-09 2:19 PM
in reply to: glaqua

User image

I think I just have a love/hate thing with the suit at this point. I don't know if it was because the lake was quite warm in Okotoks or I just didn't get it adjusted right before starting. I watched the race last year and yes they called it none wetsuit just before and gave people the option to do the sprint. I know what you mean about "you can wear the suit but won't qualify" but I don't recall hearing that as an option last year. I will be about dead last anyway so that doesn't concern me. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

This is my first Olympic so my strategy is to finish without passing out or throwing up.........hey gotta have goals

2013-08-09 2:31 PM

New user

Originally posted by purestone
This is my first Olympic so my strategy is to finish without passing out or throwing up.........hey gotta have goals

This is an excellent goal, upright and smiling at the finish is always my first race goal.

I love swimming in the wetsuit, cause I sink like a rock without it, and have to work much harder. Wetsuit should make it easier, but it hasn't worked out that way so far. Heres hoping...
2013-08-11 3:49 PM

New user

Had to add this post. The swim was great! the lake was great! the people were great!

This is a fun race.
2013-08-13 3:35 PM

User image

Silver member
I was there. Such a beautiful day. Had a great swim.. Last year was my first with the wetsuit and I have grown to love it. I was coming off a cold and totally bonked on the run, but finished.

Still a fun race to do. Looking forward to Strathmore this weekend.

2013-08-13 10:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
The wetsuit optional thing is American. They let the spint wave use them last year on the officials discretion since the chances of overheqting in the sprint were lower. The wetsuit is for warmth. Never think of it any other way.
2013-08-25 1:38 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Well I made it through the Chapparral Oly alive and well then promptly went on vacation for 2 weeks the next morning. But it was a good race, fun(ish) and I was exhausted at the end. None of the "normal" post sprint tri happiness and energy I just wanted to get home, maybe throw up and sit in front of the tv.

As you all know wetsuits were allowed this year but I opted (along with a friend doing the same race) to not wear it and I was really happy with that decision.

What do you mean by the wetsuit option being an "American" thing? Also I had this thought afterwards, what if you wanted to take your wetsuit off mid-swim? do you think you could? Disregarding the physical act of it but would it be a "legal" thing to do? assuming you say got in a boat or left it with one of the course boats? just wondering.
2013-08-26 9:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Ok... many US races allow wetsuits when it is ABOVE the cutoff but you cant win awards. Below the cutoff and above 14 C wetsuits are technically optional. Hope you had a great holiday. Ironman hurts...
2014-07-15 7:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
2014 bump.

Will be away racing Master Swimming Worlds...

Bet the lake is warm.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Chaparral Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Last-minute advice for Chaparral newbie? Pages: 1 2

Started by strummagirl
Views: 3868 Posts: 30

2008-08-22 4:37 PM BigDH