Subaru Triathlon Series & Trisport Canada
24C / 75F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 29s
Overall Rank = 198/298
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 21/27
Pre-race routine:

Woke up very late. Slept in. I had no desire to race at the start of the day. Kept thinking about work. Forced myself to eat a banana, 1 smoothie, 1/2 bagel and some Gatorade. Got to the race site late and they were out of everything include race shirts and a good spot on the rack. The only spot left on the rack was swampish to say the least! I stood their with my feet up to ankles in muddy water thinking great 20 minutes to the horn, my bike tires need air, my odometer is broken, I forgot my HR monitor. What next?
Event warmup:

Had no time to warm up. Turned out to be a good thing, the water was freezing. But the lake was calm with some gentle rollers coming in.
Swim
  • 15m 13s
  • 700 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt terrible from the get go. Started out too fast and the water was murky so I had a hard time finding someone to draft off of. But I did eventually link up with someone going my speed and found my rythm once I got around the second bouy. Just felt a little forced today, not as relaxed. But I haven't swam as much lately so what do I expect. Rounding the third bouy I hit something, either someone or the line holding the bouy in place. It hit my arm hard and it startled me. I was glad to get out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Didn't swim at all the week before and I think that left me feeling flat in the water. I felt better doing 1500m in my first race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Took my time and chatted it up in T1. Was very glad to be out the water. I'm not sure why this year, but I like to take my time and enjoy the sites. Probably not a good idea if I'm trying to go for time. I was thinking that maybe my HR would come down a little before the bike.

Not doddle and chat about the swim conditions.
Bike
  • 49m 17s
  • 25 kms
  • 30.44 km/hr
Comments:

Pushed hard on the bike. I was riding the Fuji and had to prove to myself that I could make the dam think hit an average speed of 30kph. Absolutely loved the tough climb up the escarpment. Better yet, the decent was scary as anything. I let the brake go completely on the last sharp decent and just flew down the hill. It was scary cause the bike started to track right and there was nothing I could do about it to bring it back on track. At that speed I was afraid to try and turn and lose control.

Nothing. For this short course it was a good effort. More hill work in training would be good. I was out of the saddle all the way up the escarpment.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

If my first transition was slow this was a vacation. I stood there with my water bottle trying to drink some to make up for the fact I hadn't taken a drink the whole bike course. Again, made chit chat with my fellow competitors, which took them back I think. They were clearly in pain and struggling.

Ah....hurry up!
Run
  • 39m 33s
  • 7 kms
  • 05m 39s  min/km
Comments:

Again, Slow as a snail on the run. I ran slowly at first until the 3.5K mark and then I turned it up. Felt good after the first 3.5k. Keep cool by dousing my head with water at every watering hole. I was pleased with the run even though I was slow. I was 3 minutes slower than last year but still happy with my run. I enjoyed the run and chated with a few first timers that were struggling. I think I cheered them up.

drink a little more, talk a little less.
Post race
Warm down:

Lay on ground and drink lots of water. Lifted head slightly to watch the sights. All in all very enjoyable.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. This was a max effort. I hadn't been training for short and fast. I've been training for long and easy.

Event comments:

Good day. But any PB day is a good day. Last year it took me 1:58.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:13 | 700 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/27
Overall: 70/298
Performance: Below average
Suit: Ironman LJ sprint
Course: Box course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:48
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:49:17 | 25 kms | 30.44 km/hr
Age Group: 21/27
Overall: 182/298
Performance: Good
HR high! no need for HR to tell me that!
Wind: None
Course: Very flat with good roads. Except the BEAST OF THE EAST. The gradients are rediculous. Felt like climbing Alp Duez. But man it was fun. Alot of people walked up the hill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:39:33 | 07 kms | 05m 39s  min/km
Age Group: 26/27
Overall: 254/298
Performance: Good
Again, no need my chest pains told me I was nearing my MAX heart rate.
Course: Very nice and scenic. Great support from the locals that ran the water stations.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-23 6:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph
Subject: Niagara Triathlon

2006-07-24 11:52 AM
in reply to: #490523

Master
Subject: RE: Niagara Triathlon

If you still had fun it obviously wasn't that bad.

See you in two weeks!

2006-07-24 11:52 AM
in reply to: #490523

Master
Subject: RE: Niagara Triathlon

If you still had fun it obviously wasn't that bad.

See you in two weeks!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Niagara Triathlon Rss Feed