Pikes Peak Marathon, Inc.
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 25m
Overall Rank = 563/800
Age Group = M30-35
Age Group Rank = 60/?
Pre-race routine:

Arrived two days before race, body still wasn't acclimated to the elevation. My breathing was noticably tougher. Up at 6am, showered, stretched, ate a pop tart and about 20oz of water.
Event warmup:

None
Run
  • 8h 25m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 19m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

4:57 ascent. 3:27 descent. The way up was tough due to the loss of oxygen... 50% oxygen content at the peak relative to sea level. Got a little dizzy, heart wanted to jump out of my chest. My hands got super swollen and my fingers all turned purple. I never stopped for a break. 45*F at the summit felt really nice.

Descent was tougher than I expected. Although the oxgen improvement really got the adrenaline going, I had no agility for the various rocks and roots. My quads were fried by mile 19 and jogged sparingly thereafter. I almost took a horrible face-plant at mile 22 with a succession of three trips, somehow I managed to stay upright. I'm very happy I escaped with all my teeth and no scratches! I saw many people vomiting and falling down on course. The last mile was off trail into Manitou Springs, paved with only 6% downgrade... I ran that sucker in 7 minutes :)
What would you do differently?:

I would do weighted squats in training to prepare for the descent. My quads were no match for that mountain.
Post race
Warm down:

None

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of oxygen. Steep of downgrade.

Event comments:

My goal was to survive and beat the cut-off (6:30 to the summit, 10:00 for the course) I beat it by 1:30. I did well on the ascent, I sucked a big one on the way down. Happy with my effort and results. My favorite running shoes are shot after this one. I've never even touched a mountain much less trained on one or at elevation. I will have to consider doing the double next year... ascent (half) on Saturday and full marathon on Sunday. Everyone I met, whether volunteers or runners, were amazing people... great camraderie out there. I would recommend this race to anyone with the testicular fortitude to give it a shot.

Last updated: 2013-08-20 12:00 AM
Running
08:25:00 | 26.2 miles | 19m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 60/?
Overall: 563/800
Performance: Good
Course: 13 miles up Pikes Peak, 13 miles back down. Total averages to 11% incline but there were several flat areas... I'd say the average incline was closer to 14% with max 17% towards the top.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-20 1:44 PM

User image

Canyon, Texas
Subject: Pikes Peak Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pikes Peak Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pikes Peak Marathon

Started by freckle face
Views: 2079 Posts: 17

2009-08-27 9:52 AM Matchman

Pikes Peak Marathon

Started by kilo_dave
Views: 1500 Posts: 13

2009-08-30 11:31 PM Triathlon Sean

Pikes Peak Marathon

Started by burkesj
Views: 1710 Posts: 2

2008-07-06 6:56 AM burkesj

Pikes Peak Marathon

Started by ccollins2
Views: 931 Posts: 2

2006-09-07 10:44 AM pseudoyams

Pikes Peak Assent

Started by sjhamblin
Views: 1199 Posts: 8

2005-01-30 10:01 AM captantony
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How do you train for an A-race that is six months away? How do you peak for multiple A-races?

date : September 30, 2011
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?
date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : March 19, 2007
author : Team BT
Stability Ball Pike-Up abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.
date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle