baltimorerunning.com
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 49m 47s
Overall Rank = 130/514
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/31
Pre-race routine:

Got up way too early, met Ian at the park & ride and then headed to Charlie's house to carpool to the race.
Event warmup:

Ummmm ....
Run
  • 49m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Fast first mile - 7:55 (guess I've finally trained myself out of those 10 minute first miles that I had all of 2005, it seemed) so I stopped to fix my right shoelace which was bugging me. Second mile even faster - 7:25 - amazing considering I'd lost 15 seconds or so on the damn shoe. Third mile was still good, but I didn't get a split. Somehow I missed the fourth mile marker but I knew I was about there when I hit the back water stop and rounded the turn. Amazingly, I'd just seen my buddy Ian who was (as usual) much faster than me and who lost me shortly after the start. When I realized I was at the turnaround I thought ... I might actually catch him! Amazingly, I did catch him walking up a hill just before mile 5. I ran past and it felt great - the first time I have *ever* passed that guy in a race. He's normally a good 30 seconds per mile faster than I am. I knew when I saw the 5 mile marker that I wasn't far enough ahead because he puts on a great sprint at the end, unfailingly. As ezpected, he did sprint past me at the end but only beat my time by a few seconds. He passed me just about the 6 mile mark. Overall, I am really pleased with the race. Can't wait for next year!
What would you do differently?:

Wow. This was really "the" race of my season. I have been training hard on the hills and it paid off. Maybe, start a little slower so that I could sprint more at the end - though I still did well overall so maybe not ...
Post race
Event comments:

Love this race. Great volunteers, terrific race shirt - one of the best in the area, plus since this race is legendary for its hills, it's a great shirt to wear to other races to psych out the competition, LOL ...

Last updated: 2006-07-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:47 | 06.21 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/31
Overall: 130/514
Performance: Good
Course: Tough ... very hilly. This race is a cult favorite and it was definitely much easier this year, my second time doing it.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes