Winham-Hunter, New York
United States
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 53m 50s
Overall Rank = 98/224
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had a light breakfast and drove up. A bus takes you to the start from the finish. What a fantastic, different crowd. These mountain goats are a different cult from triathletes, but there's some crossover. chatted with a guy I met at a sprint tri and he gave me some great info on the course.
Event warmup:

None. Huddled under a tree as the skies really opened up during registration/pre race.
Run
  • 4h 53m 50s
  • 18.6 miles
  • 15m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

trail starts out with 3.5 miles of straight up Windom High Peak, but its not too technical. it'svery bunched up for a while since its a single track path and folks are pretty fresh. I tried to keep it easy knowing the second peak was going to be harder. someone stirred up a bees nest here but I was lucky not to be one of the stung ones. lots of folks before and after me got some sting though.

I was warned about Black Head, but it really sunk in climbing hand over hand up this thing on the wet rocks. I was concerned for the guy in front of me as he seemed like he would topple over at any minute, but he made it to the top just fine. and I had no juice to pass him even if I didnt want to keep an eye on him.

I lost faith a little right before Dutchess Notch, before the climb to Stoppel Pt. I twisted my ankle and was just feeling sorry for myself at this point and that had to hurt my time some. the race had really thinned out at this point.

The last climb was slow but fine. Luckily I was warned that the 3rd peak has a false summitand just when you think you made it, it starts climbing again. I heard some people say that its a fast 3 miles to the finish. Ha! not for me. as soon as I would pick up the pace, the decent would get technical again. I let a lot of people pass on by as I picked my way down the Mt.
What would you do differently?:

Of course train more for a course like this. A lot of folks passed me, especially in the last 4 miles that had less in the tank but way better trail skills.

I wished I would have stayed longer after the race to enjoy the camaraderie. I had a 3+hr drive to LP that I should not have committed to. When it comes to racing, I need to focus on the one at hand.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a bagle and took a dip in north lake to wash off the mud.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training and rain. The pre race rain made every rock wet and since the sun never came out, they never dried. I was very cautious, but second guessing that is silly. If I had been less cautious I may not have finished at all. Also, I like trail running, so I should probably do more of it.

Event comments:

This race is fantastic. I almost didn't post this here because I selfishly don't want to drive up demand. this guy sells out his race every year but still hardly charges anything to do it. and a huge shout out to the volunteers who hiked in the supplies for aid stations. i cant wait to come back in 2015!

Last updated: 2013-07-30 12:00 AM
Running
04:53:50 | 18.6 miles | 15m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/224
Performance: Average
German had 17.88 (16:25/mile) Miles but trail races are never perfect neither is garmin with all the twist/turns and climbs. Avg HR was 157 bpm
Course: Wow, what a course! From Windham to North Lake at Hunter, not crossing a road once. 3 summits to climb (winham high peak, black head, and stoppel pt) and some very technical descents.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-26 4:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: Escarpment Trail Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escarpment Trail Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Xterra Marathon of Trail races Trail Run

Started by lonoscurse
Views: 1070 Posts: 1

2011-10-10 2:09 PM lonoscurse

Muddy Trails 10k trail run

Started by antlimon166
Views: 1527 Posts: 2

2010-04-05 5:42 PM BigDH

The HUFF 50K Trail Run (Fun Run)

Started by jefjejon70
Views: 1713 Posts: 5

2008-12-30 8:03 PM Afletcher

Trail Twister 60km Endurance Trail Run

Started by runnrboy
Views: 1347 Posts: 1

2008-10-07 8:53 AM runnrboy

Run Like a Girl 8K Trail Run

Started by NightOwl
Views: 1150 Posts: 1

2007-07-15 11:06 PM NightOwl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix
date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.

date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.