2013-09-11 4:10 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Yay, a gun thread
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by jeffnboise

CO voters recall 2 State Senators (both "D") who supported statewide universal background checks.  I'm too lazy and not savy enough to post a link; but it appears that the ousted Senators raised MORE money than their opposition and the the NRA donated a 'mere' $500,000 (which is frankly, small change, in todays political landscape IMO).

The Democratic process worked as designed and the voting public's voices were heard.   Interesting......

I saw that this morning as well.  Purely from a political standpoint, it's one of those issues that crosses political boundaries for support.  There are a lot of pro gun Democrats as well as Republicans.

I suspect we won't see too many big pushes for additional gun control in the foreseeable future.

You think so? I disagree. The next big push for additional gun control will happen the next time there's some big gun-related tragedy, a la Sandy Hook or Columbine. And it will go like this:
Tragedy occurs.
Anti gun people will blame guns
Pro gun people will blame the criminal justice system, the mental heath industry, etc.
Anti gun legislation will be proposed (e.g. banning guns) which will be ultimately wrong-headed and which would be unlikely to have much impact, even if enacted.
Pro-gun legislation will be proposed (e.g. arming teachers), whch will mostly be in response to the anti-gun legislation, and therefore also with little likelihood of adoption.
The NRA will tell everyone that the government is coming for your guns
NRA membership will skyrocket
Gun shops and sporting goods stores' shelves will be stripped bare of guns and ammo for months
Gun and ammo manufacturers will see record profits.
Every talk show will be about nothing but guns for weeks.
There will be seven hundred gun threads on BT
The legislation will be defeated.
Nothing will change
Some other important news story will push the tragedy to the back pages.
Everyone will change their facebook photo back to something other than a pro-gun or anti-gun meme.
Life will go on more or less as before.

Sandy Hook was almost a year ago now, and I honestly can't think of a single thing that resulted from all the talk on both sides that did anything whatsoever to ensure that something like that couldn't happen again tomorrow. The only positive thing that comes to mind is that people finally decided that the Westboro Baptist Church had gone too far and stopped paying attention.

2013-09-11 4:19 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

CO voters recall 2 State Senators (both "D") who supported statewide universal background checks.  I'm too lazy and not savy enough to post a link; but it appears that the ousted Senators raised MORE money than their opposition and the the NRA donated a 'mere' $500,000 (which is frankly, small change, in todays political landscape IMO).

The Democratic process worked as designed and the voting public's voices were heard.   Interesting......

I saw that this morning as well.  Purely from a political standpoint, it's one of those issues that crosses political boundaries for support.  There are a lot of pro gun Democrats as well as Republicans.

I suspect we won't see too many big pushes for additional gun control in the foreseeable future.

You think so? I disagree. The next big push for additional gun control will happen the next time there's some big gun-related tragedy, a la Sandy Hook or Columbine. And it will go like this: Tragedy occurs. Anti gun people will blame guns Pro gun people will blame the criminal justice system, the mental heath industry, etc. Anti gun legislation will be proposed (e.g. banning guns) which will be ultimately wrong-headed and which would be unlikely to have much impact, even if enacted. Pro-gun legislation will be proposed (e.g. arming teachers), whch will mostly be in response to the anti-gun legislation, and therefore also with little likelihood of adoption. The NRA will tell everyone that the government is coming for your guns NRA membership will skyrocket Gun shops and sporting goods stores' shelves will be stripped bare of guns and ammo for months Gun and ammo manufacturers will see record profits. Every talk show will be about nothing but guns for weeks. There will be seven hundred gun threads on BT The legislation will be defeated. Nothing will change Some other important news story will push the tragedy to the back pages. Everyone will change their facebook photo back to something other than a pro-gun or anti-gun meme. Life will go on more or less as before. Sandy Hook was almost a year ago now, and I honestly can't think of a single thing that resulted from all the talk on both sides that did anything whatsoever to ensure that something like that couldn't happen again tomorrow. The only positive thing that comes to mind is that people finally decided that the Westboro Baptist Church had gone too far and stopped paying attention.

Nah.....at least in my part of the world there is ALOT more security in our schools.....and teachers train with the police so that we're all on the same page if/when it happens again.  Even the training for teachers is MUCH different that it was prior to Sandyhook.  They used to be trained to "lock down"......a lot of the training now revolves around getting the hell out, even as an attack is ongoing, and/or fighting back.

Prior to Sandyhook only the area high school had a police officer.....now every school in the district does.  I have no idea if that's enough to stop a determined killer.....but it's definitely a change from where we were.

2013-09-11 5:09 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Elite
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

You think so? 

Yes, it did.

The main jist of the argument was that Colorado representatives didn't listen to Coloradoans. John Morse was the Senate President, and he changed the rules for hearing testimony. He declared you had to be a "expert" to address the Senate. He considered some guy from Arizona who's wife was a crime victim an "expert" on the issue... while he denied time to Colorado crime victims that were against gun control. Giron's district was against the gun control.. Pueblo is actually a union town from steel and has had a Democrat streak for a long time... but they are also "small town" and were against gun control... but she did not care what they thought.

So they were removed. When your representatives no longer represent you, they need to be removed.

As far as gun control... well it isn't settle now, nor will ever be. But that is why the recall took place.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Yay, a gun thread Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

STUDY: Using Guns for Defense Leads to Fewer Injuries

Started by DanielG
Views: 2242 Posts: 20

2013-06-28 7:22 PM DanielG

Medical Groups Oppose Gun-Law Change To Share Mental Health Records

Started by DanielG
Views: 1891 Posts: 11

2013-06-19 2:04 PM powerman