General Discussion Triathlon Talk » suncoast trail: parking security and fees, closings? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-06 7:21 AM

Subject: suncoast trail: parking security and fees, closings?
Hi,

I'm thinking of making a trip down to do the Suncoast trail this weekend. I haven't done it for a few years. I remember a few years back there were some problems with car breakin's and such.
Anyway, i'm looking at staging out of the park at SR50 trailhead. parking, waterbottle exchange and bathrooms.
Should I be prepared for security any issues?
(note: I will have nothing of value left in my car but I don't want some one to break in to learn that!)
Is there a park fee to get in?
Any construction or closings on the trail?
The RT 98 lot is closer but it has no bathrooms so it might be worth the drive to 50, any thoughts?

thanks all

2013-09-07 9:02 AM
in reply to: tritobikeswimrun

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL
Subject: RE: suncoast trail: parking security and fees, closings?
No closings that I know of, although I haven't been that far north in a while. The majority of the security concerns I have heard about were at the south end.
2013-09-07 5:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
I live in Spring Hill, bike that area often. Highway 50 entrance is great with restroom facilities and a water fountain. I can't imagine you'd have any safety issues parking any where along that route. 

Edited by KateTri1 2013-09-07 5:25 PM
2013-09-12 4:49 PM
in reply to: tritobikeswimrun

The trail is closed north of Centralia Rd. At least I believe that is the cutoff. Due to the repaving of the entrance to 589 the 98 entrance is all torn up. I drove by it today and I can't see how they are going to have it open by the date they originally said. So frustrating.
But, yes, SR 50 is open and though I've never parked there, it also seemed safe and populated when pedaling by. I don't know if there is a parking fee there either. The 98 entrance fee was $3 I think. It is also in the sticks and always felt a little dangerous to me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » suncoast trail: parking security and fees, closings? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Suncoast Trail - BEWARE!!!

Started by JohnnyDinx
Views: 1256 Posts: 5

2008-09-03 2:02 PM PhatNLazy

LLF Suncoast Ride Saturday

Started by flyinfree
Views: 954 Posts: 2

2008-07-11 12:17 PM flmonkey_gbp

Suncoast Triathlon V (2007), Ft. Desoto, St. Pete

Started by file014
Views: 1192 Posts: 5

2007-10-29 7:16 AM file014

2hr bike ride, Suncoast Trail, Sunday 8/9am-ish

Started by Renee
Views: 1124 Posts: 12

2006-03-17 3:52 PM Lucy

Suncoast Tri

Started by rbschlesinger
Views: 940 Posts: 10

2005-10-28 5:45 PM rbschlesinger
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.
date : March 17, 2008
author : Yosel20
comments : 1
At first I thought, "Oh boy, what a mistake!" Let’s face it, I could barely run half a mile, I had not swum in forever, and my biking skills were not great, to say the least.

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?
date : May 30, 2005
author : Ontherun
Taking care of your equipment is very important, especially on a limited budget. The following are a few reminders of how to get your equipment to last as long as possible.

date : October 17, 2004
author : jhealy422
My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.
date : September 19, 2004
author : malvey
The next time you see one of your kids or grandkids, look deep into their eyes and know that they would give anything to have you around for five, ten fifteen, or even twenty more years.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!