General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Feel old but need some goals! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-08 10:51 AM

User image

Subject: Feel old but need some goals!
Hello everyone,

I've never been gifted in the fitness department but thought triathlon looked fun so I would give it a go.

I have always liked swimming and last week I swam 21 km in 6 hr 36 m for charity. Given this was in a pool but I did enjoy the physical and mental challange that it gave me. Since then I have been trying to decide what next to do and came across the ironman. I know a lot of newbies problem say that's what their goal is and I'm under no illusion that it will be a hard struggle but I have set my sights on completing one in 2015.

I've never biked before but have got an old race bike that was kindly bought for me by my wife and today I decided to dust it off and go on my first ever ride. It wasn't far only 18 km but I really enjoyed the 40 minutes I was out. She has decided that having never ran she also wants to complete a half marathon so I did a little run with her today as well and felt really good. We are aiming to complete the Berlin half in March next year and I will also be running the Hannover and Hamburg full in April as well.

I'm really looking forward to getting dug into these challengers and will no doubt be asking for some advice or /and motivation over the next couple of months.

Hope you won't all be bored by my stupid questions on training and will give me a break if I make a stupid comment.

Marcus

2013-09-09 4:10 PM
in reply to: Plaziescouse

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Feel old but need some goals!
Welcome Marcus,

21 km? (13 miles for those of us not on the metric system).

An Ironman isn't out of the question, but if you are just getting into cycling and running, be smart with your training and build volume (time and distance) s-l-o-w-l-y. Do a lot of reading, and ask questions. You will find most people here are helpful and friendly on this site and in this sport.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Feel old but need some goals! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

49 yr old newbie - need advice please

Started by Lauralu
Views: 1263 Posts: 6

2010-02-05 1:44 AM jacdzi

Old mom - new goals

Started by mother_of_four
Views: 837 Posts: 9

2006-02-07 8:23 AM Mike 45

I'm new and I needed a big goal

Started by amanda110
Views: 1084 Posts: 7

2005-04-20 5:34 PM Gavan Anderson

I Figured I needed a goal for myself so.... here goes!!

Started by waskelton
Views: 1067 Posts: 6

2005-01-26 12:36 PM the bear

Set a big goal...now I need big help

Started by Irongirl
Views: 1485 Posts: 11

2003-10-08 10:22 PM Irongirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : September 9, 2010
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
From simple time-trial testing or past performance, you can appropriately set your race goals for your upcoming races.
date : April 8, 2010
author : Team BT
Create goals to help you train and lose weight. Our logger will automatically update your goals.

date : January 9, 2010
author : FitWerx
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?
date : January 5, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
As a sports dietitian, I spend too many hours helping my clients find peace with their bodies. So what can you do if you are discontent with your body?

date : March 20, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Making goals achievable is an important part of reaching our end goal. Also, having a bar that is set high is important, so we are always striving for something better.
date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.