United States
Firstwave Events
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 29m 49s
Overall Rank = 119/523
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 21/59
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at hotel almost next door to transition, so was up early, got a good spot in transition, then back to the room for breakfast, coffee, and take care of business. Short walk down to the beach for the start.
Event warmup:

Got into wetsuit, did some dynamic stretching, then into the water for a couple of minutes. That was really to test to make sure goggles were on right and good to go. Didn't work, then ended up leaking anyway.
Swim
  • 34m 54s
  • 2112 meters
  • 01m 39s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a great swim for me, but I have to believe the course was short. I've done this race before and seems like there was longer between the outer buoys before the turn to home. But, I swam well, navigated well, and kept composure for the day to come.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. There is nothing about this day that I would do differently.
Transition 1
  • 05m 41s
Comments:

Decent T1 for me. Its a long run from beach to the transition area. Gave me some time to collect myself.

Not get nearly run off the road twice by the guy trying to get into his shoes. First he couldn't get up to speed and veered into me, then trying to get his shoes on he veered again and nearly took me out. Note: be good at it if you are going to start with your shoes clipped in.
Bike
  • 2h 48m 12s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.98 mile/hr
Comments:

Solid bike for me. Really tried to ride conservatively and keep legs for the run. Was pretty successful at spinning up the rollers and staying on the gas on the backside. I felt good the whole ride, ate and drank well, and had a good ride. It was slower than my previous bike splits at this race, but seeing as I ran 11 minutes better than last time, I'd say it was the right pace.

Not hit my lap button putting me "into T2" about 6 miles into the ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Good T2. Knew I was on a good day so just tried to gather myself for a solid run.

Know where run out is. Took off to where it was last time I did this race. They moved it. Only cost me 5 seconds though.
Run
  • 1h 59m 47s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Great run for me. I had a plan for how I thought I could do 2:00 and hit it on the nose. Even better if you go by my Garmin split. Wanted to go out conservatively for three miles and let HR settle after the bike. Then focused running to the turnaround where I rewarded myself with some shot blocks. Focused on pace through mile 10 and then left it all out there. I had nothing left at the end, timed it just right.

Maybe not start pushing until I reached the actual mile marker 10, not 10 on on my watch.
Post race
Warm down:

Water water water. Was really happy with my performance. Got a little bit of food, but never can eat much after Walked around some, enjoyed seeing my family. Had to hurry home so my wife could get to rehearsal. Ahh, the life!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. I had a plan to get to 5:30, which has long been my goal, and a plan for each segment. Nailed it. I can't execute any better than that. Very happy with my performance. I don't like to say never, but its unlikely that I'll ever qualify for Kona or the 70.3 championships, but I can strive to maximize what I can do. Today was the result of some solid hard work, and executing my plan. A great cap to a very good season.

Event comments:

I really like this race. Its a gorgeous course, its my favorite swim, its a course to be fast on too. Very fun.

Last updated: 2013-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:54 | 2112 meters | 01m 39s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/59
Overall: 0/523
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Out around the pier to the come back on other side. I love this swim. Salt water and a wetsuit makes me believe I'm almost a swimmer.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:41
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:48:12 | 56 miles | 19.98 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: Out and back up Hwy 1. Lots of constant rollers. No climbs to speak of, but very constantly rolling.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:59:47 | 13.1 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
For addition lap data, I'd add that my Garmin had the run at 13.5 miles.
Course: Great run course. Out along the coast for 3 miles, then through some neighborhoods for a little stretch then to Natural Bridges/Wilder Ranch for a couple of miles of trails. No real climbs to speak of, but one sustained uphill of about 1/3 of a mile at Mile 8. Last 1/4 mile is on sand, which is brutally hard.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-08 9:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: Big Kahuna Triathlon

2013-09-09 1:05 AM
in reply to: #4850371

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
Subject: RE: Big Kahuna Triathlon
Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.  Congratulations, kmac! Nice to see you hit the mark on all counts. Very inspiring. All that hard work definitely paid off. Enjoy your off-season and come back strong again next year!
2013-09-09 11:39 AM
in reply to: sdswriter

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Thank you! Now its your turn at Pacific Grove this weekend!
2013-09-13 12:27 PM
in reply to: #4850371

nicely done. You cut a large chunk of time from previous races. Its funny the little things you do in the heat of the moment like the lap button. I cant tell you how many times Ive stopped my watch in transition instead of hitting the lap button. Ive got Big Kahuna on my list for 2014
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Kahuna Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Big Kahuna Triathlon

Started by puellasolis
Views: 1689 Posts: 6

2007-09-11 4:24 PM guncollector

Big Kahuna Triathlon

Started by runner76
Views: 1567 Posts: 6

2007-09-12 10:45 AM runner76

Big Kahuna Triathlon

Started by jesswah
Views: 1820 Posts: 8

2007-09-12 11:51 PM wieczynski

Big Kahuna Triathlon

Started by guncollector
Views: 3660 Posts: 9

2007-09-14 12:35 AM runner76

Big Kahuna Triathlon

Started by punkroq975
Views: 1812 Posts: 1

2006-04-05 7:48 PM punkroq975
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Although a computrainer can be a great asset to any athlete, it’s not the only way to improve your pedal stroke. I’ll list a number of pedaling drills below and how you can incorporate them.

date : January 25, 2013
author : mikericci
Is there any point in time of a training plan where a "big week" would be most optimal? This article discusses sports rotation and other high volume week options to improve.
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : March 4, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 20
Many people have been asking my opinion of this popular show, so I feel obliged to scream out: It's terrible! It’s horrible! It's abusive! I also feel like throwing my shoe at the TV.
date : January 3, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
All-around body strengthening and conditioning, in short, will make the athlete stronger from head to toe to push bigger gears and to apply more power in your swim stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on muscular endurance training, transitioning between distances, big hill training and bricks.
date : January 1, 2006
author : browncd
comments : 1
Trials on getting a bike that fits while also being reliable

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?