World Triathlon Corporation
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 37m 48s
Overall Rank = 1833/2062
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 233/238
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4am and started walking to transition about a mile away at 4:30am. Bagel with peanut butter for breakfast. It was raining so kinda got cold waiting for start. Probably should've made a makeshift raincoat.
Event warmup:

None but it was almost a mile walk from the hotel to T1/Swim Start.
Swim
  • 51m 1s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started near the back as I knew I was way out of my league in this race. I'm normally right below the median for the swim in a typical HIM but in this race, I was definitely BOP. No real issues swimming alone as I gave some room on the inside. Biggest issue was getting kicked in the groin as I was approaching the first turn buoy. Almost DNF'd right there but the pain subsided and I was able to continue, albeit slowly. Everyone seems to think the course was about 150m long but still a slow swim for me as I couldn't find anyone to draft for longer than a few strokes as they were much faster.
What would you do differently?:

Avoid getting hit? Besides more regular swim training, the only other thing I can think of is to use a swim skin as my tri top has 2 pockets on the side.
Transition 1
  • 07m 28s
Comments:

Took my time with T1. Long run from swim exit with slippery sections and I just walked most of it. Put on my shoes at the bike as I didn't want to risk fiddling with shoes on wet roads and no real good place to get them on near the start. I was definitely one of the last ones out of the water as there were few bikes left when I got to my rack.

Perhaps hurry it up just a little bit. something around 6 minutes would have still been a relaxed T1
Bike
  • 3h 16m 47s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.07 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a tough bike course with a lot of hills. Glad I borrowed an 11-28 cassette for the back as I was on the 39/28 on a lot of uphills and even that was too much wattage if I tried to keep cadence over 85 in some sections. Wet roads made it scary the first few miles, but the clearer roads were much better after we got out of Lake Las Vegas development. Sun came out around the 40 mile mark and it started to warm up quick. Also, I now know what BOP feels like - not much traffic and didn't pass hundreds of people like I normally do at a 70.3. Still passed a few people here and there but not a whole lot. I also had to stop twice - once for water (didn't want to risk a hand-up), and then near the end when my quads just cramped on the last uphill.

Train better. First race where I cramped even though my NP was right on target (about 5W less than my race last month). Average Power was even lower at 155W so I think the effort was fine. Cadence average was low though so maybe I did need an easier gear (compact crank?).
Transition 2
  • 07m 55s
Comments:

I had just cramped up so I just took the time to recover. First time with a bike catcher so that was nice that I didn't have to rack. I did not get my feet out of my shoes on the bike as I typically do as I was just wanting to get off the bike and not cramp. Rested a bit in the changing tent. Put on some Vaseline to prevent chafing and let the volunteer put a generous amount of sunscreen on shoulders/neck so I did not get sunburned.

Hurry it up a bit - something under 5 minutes was definitely still a relaxed T2
Run
  • 2h 14m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

When I cramped on the last half mile of the bike, I knew that the run was going to be survival mode. I ran a decent first mile pacing right around 8:45/mile but could feel cramps starting. Started managing the run by heart rate and would start walking when I was around 150bpm repeating to myself that I need to finish. Ran as much as I could before either HR was too high or started cramping up. I knew I had good enough nutrition but just not enough training. I walked most of the uphills and tried to run most of the downhills until my quads cramped.

Train more consistently and incorporate some hill training to get used to the pounding on the quads and the different strain on the muscles. This was my slowest half-marathon ever. I thought right around 2 hrs would be a conservative target but couldn't even finish at 10:00/mile average.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much - just had water and got pictures. Just glad to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training was about 4.5 hrs/week average in the 4 weeks leading up to the race, with about 2 weeks of almost no cycling and running. Also got sick the weekend before the race (coughing) so that didn't help.

Event comments:

It's the World Championship and I was just glad to be part of it. Within 10 miles of the bike leg, I knew I wasn't racing anymore as I am normally a top 15-20% cyclist but couldn't make any gains there in this race. My run is usually pretty good also, but couldn't even run it as i was already cramping before the bike even ended. Earned that finisher medal and glad to say that I qualified for and finished a World Championship! I rated this race a "4" while I normally would rate it a "5" because my new standard was the Cebu Ironman Philippines 70.3 in terms of race production!

Last updated: 2013-08-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:51:01 | 2112 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 234/238
Overall: 1924/2062
Performance: Below average
Suit: TTT Kit
Course: 1 rectangular loop clockwise
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 07:28
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:16:47 | 56 miles | 17.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 232/238
Overall: 1845/2062
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/373418473
Wind: Little
Course: Pretty much a point-to-point course with a loop in the middle
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 76
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:55
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
02:14:37 | 13.1 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 233/238
Overall: 1833/2062
Performance: Bad
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/373418485
Course: 3 loops on a very hilly course - no flats - just up and down and the sun was out in full force as I started running close to noon
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-10 12:11 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
Subject: Ironman 70.3 World Championship

2013-09-10 5:50 PM
in reply to: #4851488

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 World Championship
So anyone else from BT do this race? I was wondering how everyone else felt about it. As I have done 4 previous HIM and finished somewhere between 5:20 and 5:45, I did not expect to finish this one over 6:30 and in the bottom 2% of my AG!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 World Championship Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman World Championships 70.3 Pages: 1 2

Started by amiine
Views: 5262 Posts: 33

2007-11-15 2:30 PM wyecrab

Ironman World Championships 70.3

Started by rbalazs
Views: 2062 Posts: 4

2007-11-12 7:38 PM Jackemy

Started by jazz82482
Views: 3104 Posts: 25

2007-11-15 9:08 AM gadzinm

Started by billcarb
Views: 3153 Posts: 9

2007-11-12 7:46 PM Jackemy

Started by TriBodyboarder
Views: 3410 Posts: 15

2006-11-17 7:14 AM Mesteren
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.