United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 25s
Overall Rank = 31/189
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/23
Pre-race routine:

got up at 5 for a 9am start (olympic started at 7). Ate english muffin with pb&j and grapes and a bottle of perform. Left at 5:35 and got there about 6
Event warmup:

set up my transition area which was very uneventful since there were not many in the sprint race there yet. While there, drank a bottle of water and basically waited around....lots of waiting...lots of time to think through whether or not to wear my wetsuit since it was barely wetsuit legal
Swim
  • 15m 17s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

started far left at the start and found myself near the front of my age group early on...went well after that. The water felt warmer than the temp indicated...dirty as always in this swim, but that's just part of the deal here I guess. I was very glad I chose to use my wetsuit. Shoulder was bothersome for a bit until my muscles loosened up a bit (it was worse when they let us get in the water before the sprint race to warm up)
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

was fourth in AG in t1 time...felt like it might have been slow with the wetsuit, but apparently was not too bad based on that ranking especially considering many were not wearing a wetsuit. Overall good...ran well in cleats and mounted the bike pretty cleanly

practice getting wetsuit off
Bike
  • 32m 26s
  • 11 miles
  • 20.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Decent hill starts almost immediately out of t1, but was able to do a good job of getting heart rate down by maybe 5 minutes in. Passed well and took turns well, but with caution. drank 1/2 to 3/4 of my bottle, but didn't feel that I was sweating a ton either because of the nice weather.

nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

was 9th in AG in t2

I'm not sure....I should surely be able to rank higher than I did, but it felt pretty fast. Part of what I think might've been an issue is that it's a relatively long run before crossing the mat, so faster runners have an advantage in this transition, but that should only be a couple seconds. Regardless, this is an area that seems to have cost me a bit, but based on the results 10-15 seconds wouldn't have made any difference in placing overall or in AG.
Run
  • 26m 30s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

took a while to get my heart rate in check, but eventually settled down and all the while was able to run a decent pace, but hard (for me). Ran the first mile in just under 9 minuntes. Ended up walking for a moment in both water stops, but this worked out ok for me to again help me control my heart rate and I felt much stronger after walking a little bit. I was able to start pushing my pace with probably 1/3 of a mile to go (maybe more) and felt strong...probably could've pushed earlier. Overall good run for me, though given how hard I pushed on the swim and bike and the fact that I was not well trained in either of those areas!

I could have pressed a little harder earlier, but overall managed it well for my ability. Just need to do more speedwork to see what improvements I can make in this area.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around and got a massage...ate some pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

consisten training!! :-)

Event comments:

post-race could be a little better, but overall RD and volunteers were helpful and plentiful...fun race as always at Stonebridge!

Last updated: 2013-09-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:17 | 750 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/23
Overall: 35/189
Performance: Good
Suit: yes
Course: single loop clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:18
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:32:26 | 11 miles | 20.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/23
Overall: 17/189
2 loops and moderately hilly
Wind: Some
Course: 2 clock-wise loops and moderately hilly.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:52
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:30 | 03.1 miles | 08m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/23
Overall: 54/189
Course: out and back relatively hilly run
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-30 7:59 AM

Plano, TX
Subject: Playtri Stonebridge Ranch Sprint
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Playtri Stonebridge Ranch Sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Started by harrisonford
Views: 1240 Posts: 1

2007-10-03 12:02 PM harrisonford

Started by drkelly
Views: 1356 Posts: 2

2007-10-01 2:10 PM kriscrn

Started by hosayif
Views: 1384 Posts: 2

2007-10-01 8:34 AM kriscrn

Started by kriscrn
Views: 1683 Posts: 8

2007-10-01 8:31 PM Ten9T6

Started by ckralich
Views: 1100 Posts: 1

2007-04-23 2:53 PM ckralich
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.