United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 23m 9s
Overall Rank = 29/365
Age Group = 46-55
Age Group Rank = 2/18
Pre-race routine:

Bought two clif bars and one bottle of water. Ate one bar, drank the water about 45 minutes before race.
Event warmup:

Jogged off an on for the 15 minutes before the scheduled race time. Race started 15 minutes late.
Run
  • 23m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Went well. Since I didn't have any way to gauge my time, I was worried whether my pace was too fast or too slow.
What would you do differently?:

Go a little bit faster throughout. I had a bit left at the end. I ran a 7:28 pace. Could have hit 7:25, maybe even 7:20.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Didn't have my stuff set up, so I wasn't sure how fast I was going. Also, the course was marked in kilometers, not miles, and I'm not sure what my pace needs to be per kilometer.

Event comments:

Easily the worst organized race I've been around. There was no one to tell participants how to get their bib, etc.
I didn't get a bag of goodies and was told to pick one up later. But there wasn't one. Someone then said there were only ads in the bag anyway.
There was no place to post results, so the poor guy with the timing company wandered around trying to find one for a half hour.
There was supposed to be a costume contest before awards ceremony, but then they did the awards first. It took so long to get started that half the people didn't stick around to pick up their award. A shame too, since only first place finishers got an award, and it was a nice beer mug.

Last updated: 2013-09-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:09 | 03.11 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/18
Overall: 15/365
Performance: Good
No additional data - no splits on course and wasn't able to set up my timer, etc. before race started.
Course: Flat. First half mile went through historic district on brick street. Steep right turn took you up a hill for a half block. The next mile or mile and a half was a very slight downhill. Then you went up another tiny hill and ran the last mile on the Katy trail along the Missouri River.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2013-09-30 1:39 PM

Subject: St. Charles Oktoberfest 5k
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Charles Oktoberfest 5k Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

St. Charles Children's Home 5K

Started by jgerbodegrant
Views: 1283 Posts: 1

2011-09-05 2:21 PM jgerbodegrant

United Way of St. Charles 5K Bridge Run

Started by Tri-a-betic
Views: 447 Posts: 1

2007-04-15 12:40 AM Tri-a-betic

Breckenridge Oktoberfest 5k

Started by drewb8
Views: 1633 Posts: 2

2006-09-18 8:43 AM jmwebs

St. Charles Children's Home 5K Race

Started by TriMom217
Views: 1213 Posts: 4

2006-09-06 7:39 AM pjostack

St. Charles Flat Five

Started by Ktriathlete
Views: 683 Posts: 1

2006-08-06 10:07 PM Ktriathlete
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
author : SrhShepherd
comments : 9
How triathlon helped me become the person I wanted to be

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?
date : January 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussions on St. A's training, diet, strength training during the winter, tri/road bike training, swollen feet, swimming strategy and spinning for IM's.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.