Bronx, New York
United States
60F / 16C
Total Time = 1h 19m 26s
Overall Rank = 1395/6555
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Background: I needed an event to keep me motivated once my triathlon season ended. To be honesst, I've never lked JUST running. Exercise ADD is largely why I stumbled into triathlon - let's go swimming, hey look a shiny bike, ooh now let's go for a run! Somewhere in my running-focused training, a funny thing started to happen...I liked it! I slowly increased my mileage in preparation for this race and was genuinely looking forward to it.
Event warmup:

Grabbed my bib number and did the customary 2 trips to the bathroom / nervous pacing. Walked race swag back to car and then jogged to meet a new friend who is training for a marathon and running in this race as a tune-up.
Run
  • 1h 19m 26s
  • 10 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

My first double digit run ever so I wasn't quite sure how to pace myself. I kept my HR at a comfortable pace and did the first 5 miles right aroundn an 8min / mile pace. Was amazed as the eventual winner passed going the other way when I was at mile 4! I decided to maintain pace until mile 7 and reassess at that point. Took a gu at mile 6. Felt strong at mile 7 so decided to increase the pace. HR hovered in low 180s. Realized I could go sub 8min miles and finished strong. Negative split baby!
What would you do differently?:

Happy with the race. Would have done more training mileage so my legs wouldn't hurt quite so bad afterwards.

Double PR: Distance and Time ;)

Post race
Warm down:

Stretch and nutrition. Walked back to the car and hopped in ice bath the instant I got home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training.

Event comments:

Great race and volunteers. Not as much fan support as I expected. Fun race put on by NY Road Runners.

Signed up for the Staten Island Half in 2 weeks :)

Last updated: 2013-10-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:19:26 | 10 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/6555
Performance: Good
Avg HR 177
Course: Essentially an out and back. Start in the 160s and go Up Grand Concourse, loop around Moshulu Park and then back. Mostly flat with some slight inclines.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-10-01 7:37 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Bronx 10-miler
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bronx 10-miler Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Perfect 10 - 10 Miler

Started by Queen K
Views: 1141 Posts: 1

2012-04-27 1:56 PM Queen K

Perfect 10 - 10 Miler

Started by javibeve
Views: 943 Posts: 1

2011-10-03 3:53 PM javibeve

CRIM 10 Miler

Started by velasqu7
Views: 1114 Posts: 1

2004-12-08 10:05 PM velasqu7

25th Annual Broad Street 10 miler

Started by jmc1888
Views: 1057 Posts: 1

2004-06-11 11:44 AM jmc1888

Frostbite 10 miler

Started by jaitermom
Views: 1597 Posts: 1

2004-01-25 10:37 AM jaitermom
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.
date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.

date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.