United States
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 30m
Overall Rank = 2/9
Age Group = 18-99
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

Worked all day, then went straight to race from work. Changed in the car at the race.
Event warmup:

One loop around the course just before race start.
Bike
  • 30m
  • 6 miles
  • 12.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Got to the shoot first and stayed in the lead for the 1st 2 laps, then got passed by a gal. Just didn't have the legs to stay with her up that big hill on lap 3. I'm not very good on hills. Slid out on one turn due to bumps in the grass. Wish I would have tried to catch back up to her and stay with her. Once she passed me I slacked off a bit. Only 1 good straight section where you could get some speed. Otherwise quite a technical course.
What would you do differently?:

Tried to stay with the gal who passed me. I would have sighted ahead on the turns. I did a bad job of this during the race because i was so concerned about pine cones and bumps on the turns. I could have taken the turns better if I would not have been looking down right in front of me. I do this way too often and need to practice looking a head and remember to look ahead of the turn. Grr....
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a slice of watermelon and downed a bottle of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills. Needed a few more gears like a mtb. This course would have been much easier on a mtb.

Event comments:

This course was beautiful to watch. You could see nearly the entire race from standing in 1 spot. Best race to spectate. Really hard course with that hill, but it's great to be pushed and get to test new skills.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-10-15 12:00 AM
Biking
00:30:00 | 06 miles | 12.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 9/9
Performance:
Don't actually know if the race was 6 miles or not. Just a guess. Usually each lap is around 1 to 1.5 miles in length.
Wind:
Course: Big hill. Great big hill. Huge hill. Did I mention there was this really big hill? And lots of off camber turns. This was quite a difficult race due to both of those. And bumpy. Really bumpy. Bucking Bronco bumpy in sections. Good think I was clipped into the pedals or I might have been bucked off a few times.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-10-15 10:10 AM

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
Subject: Star City CX at Tanker Hill
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Star City CX at Tanker Hill Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Star City CX Revenge of Captain Seacrest

Started by crissy_jo
Views: 794 Posts: 3

2013-10-06 7:17 PM crissy_jo

Star City CX Seacrest Park

Started by crissy_jo
Views: 501 Posts: 1

2013-10-05 3:05 PM crissy_jo

Star City Half Marathon

Started by tlr
Views: 914 Posts: 1

2011-11-20 6:13 AM tlr

City of Laguna Hills Memorial Day Half Marathon

Started by sjc64
Views: 969 Posts: 2

2008-05-27 6:33 PM ladavidson

Star City Half Marathon

Started by jasoncaptain
Views: 679 Posts: 3

2006-11-19 2:26 PM LSU2003
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 20, 2007
comments : 0
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?

date : April 2, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on muscular endurance training, transitioning between distances, big hill training and bricks.
date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
I’m terrified of biking hills and the triathlon I am registered for has several hills…on AND off road!! I’m willing to do whatever it takes to finish this triathlon. Any guidance?

date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?
date : January 24, 2005
author : Don Magie
A better bike is not the answer to meeting your performance goals. I mean if you gave Nike running shoes to a tortoise would he move any faster?

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle