General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clermont bike gearing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-24 1:59 PM

Subject: Clermont bike gearing
Just curious what chainrings and cassettes everybody uses for the hills of Clermont, particularly sugarloaf. I have 53t and 42t chainrings and a 12-24 ultegra cassette. Worked ok for the great Clermont sprint a few years ago but that didn't tackle the big hills. Looking at doing the Florida challenge half iron and wondering if I will need a 39t chainring for the big hills or if anybody has ever done sugarloaf with a 42t. Honestly here in palm beach county the little chainring never comes into play so I hardly ever use it.

2013-10-25 8:56 AM
in reply to: jmscsa

User image

Melbourne, Florida
Subject: RE: Clermont bike gearing

Sugarloaf, while steep, is not too long to require a smaller front ring. 42/24 might even be too low of a gear to maintain a straight line. Mountain gearing is only necessary if you can't see the top of the hill or are riding multiple switchbacks. Sugarloaf s a straight line up. Clearmont, in general, is a sequence of rolling hills. Best tip: don't coast on the down hills and you'll glide half way up most of the climbs.

2013-10-25 1:26 PM
in reply to: vertseven

How heavy are you?

I run a compact double up front, so I cannot tell you how well a 42x24 will climb, but I've climbed it without getting into any super-low gears. The only time I've used my reallllly low gears were on some 300-400K rides where I carried a good bit of supplies and I was on my third and fourth climbs up Sugarloaf. It was late at night and I was pretty tired, so in that case they came in handy.

On a tri, using a light bike and having to only go up it once, you're probably OK. Won't be a cakewalk but you should be fine.

...unless you're a Clydesdale, then it's another story.
2013-10-25 3:30 PM
in reply to: danimal123

Thanks. I'm 5-8, up to about 170 right now because I haven't been doing as much distance endurance stuff lately but planning on shedding back down under 165 again by the spring. It's a Kestrel Talon Road SL. Down here I pretty much keep it in 53X18 or 53X17 and just go because even the bridges in PBC aren't long enough to bother shifting. Have Miami Man next month which is dead flat but super windy. Actually the last time I can remember needing the small chainring at all in a race was the 2010 Great Clermont. Sounds like I'll be fine with the 42t ring on the big hills though. Always good when I can avoid having to buy more bike parts.
2013-10-25 3:35 PM
in reply to: jmscsa

User image

Melbourne, Florida

Yeah, it looks like you'll be great. And that 42 will always be there as a backup. Isn't it sad that the tallest hill is hardly a foothill in any other state? 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clermont bike gearing Rss Feed