General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Richard B. Russell State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - Richard B. Russell State Park - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Elberton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
Total Time = 2h 41m 29s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed awake all night. I was staying in a hotel and occasionally I could sense through closed eyes a flash of some sort. At first I thought it was a car out in the parking lot, but I checked after a while and it was deserted. I also checked to make sure that there was no one else in the room sneaking up on me and taking flash photos. I finally decided that I had a brain tumor or some neurological disorder and had sat up to ponder that when the light bulb in the bedside lamp flashed. I pushed the button to turn it on, but apparently it was on so I left it off and it didn't bother me again. By then it was 4 a.m., so I figured it would be a perfect time to eat the mini bagel I had on hand for breakfast and washed it down with what was left of the Diet Dr. Pepper from the night before. Layed awake with hearburn until 5:20 and got up to get ready to race.
Event warmup:

Swam in the lake a little to check my turn radius.
Swim
  • 20m 59s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

I thought this was a decent swim. I kept it fairly straight and swam easily. I expected a 19 minute swim as I came out of the water, so I was somewhat disappointed, but I was not stressed at all so I was ready to ride.

I am wondering if the Tri the Parks measuring tools aren't defective. I don't know how they measure swim distances, but they always seam to take longer than they should. I know they were off on the bike course, so I have reason to wonder.

My time is not the official time and I've only included time in the water.
What would you do differently?:

I'm ok with this swim. I could do it a lot faster and I need to focus on form a little more in open water now that I have the navigation issues corrected.
Transition 1
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

This includes the walk to transition, which was maybe 100 yards, but steeply uphill.

I intentionally took it easy on the transitions on this race.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 32s
  • 22.72 miles
  • 20.80 mile/hr
Comments:

The official distance was 22 miles, but I measured it by car and bike and it was longer. I'm using my bike computer data.

In previous races, I have made the mistake of riding with groups of people that seemed to be going about the same speed and then failing to move on after they slowed down a bit. This time I found myself trading the lead with a young guy who looked like he could ride and and told myself that when he fell off the pace I would drop him. Every time I passed though, he would catch and pass me again. We eventually picked up a couple of other riders, a 69 yo man and a 34 yo woman on a P2C and if anyone fell off the pace a little someone else would kick it in. It was was a lot of fun riding that way and really helped me pace myself.

Top speed was 42.1 mph. That was fun.

I could have pushed it and maybe dropped a minute off my time, since I wasn't planning on saving anything for the run/limp, but I'm happy.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

I took my feet out too soon, thinking I was closer than I was to the finish. I don't think I lost much time.

I wasn't rushing. If I could run I could cut it down.
Run
  • 1h 09m 38s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 11m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I still walk up and run down, but even the downhills were hurting because the road was slanted more steeply than usual for runoff, I thought. I was having to the lift the injured left leg more than I wanted. I pushed it a little because I didn't want to finish DFL in my group (I missed that by about 90 minutes it turned out) and I saw Kelly coming out on the loop and was afraid she would catch me. Not that I would mind if she beat me, but she started 6 minutes later than I did and my ego can only stand so much abuse.

Considering how I ran/walked, this was actually a decent time and I don't think I did any additional damage to the hammy.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around in the hot sun for 2 hours awaiting the awards ceremony (Kelly won in her group). They really need to speed up that process.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My apparently never-ending hamstring injury.

Event comments:

Finishers of this race included a 12 year old boy and an 85 year old man. I passed one guy on the bike course about halfway through and an hour later, while I was halfway through the run, I saw him limping in on a flat tire. What a ride that must have been. The best part of this race, though, was watching Kelly come through the finish full throttle to win her division.

Last updated: 2006-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:59 | 1094 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:17
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:05:32 | 22.72 miles | 20.80 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Awesome course. One big hill at the start then full speed ahead to the finish. Never saw a car.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:09:38 | 06.2 miles | 11m 14s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Gravel at the start of the loop, then asphalt.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-07-30 5:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Tri the Parks - Richard B. Russell State Park

2006-07-30 7:22 PM
in reply to: #497590

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Richard B. Russell State Park
Nice! Congrats on a great race!
2006-07-30 10:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Congrats on the finish Don! Hope the hamstring heals before High Falls. I'm not racing but will be there since it's just down the road.
2006-07-30 11:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA

Great race babe!  We did it.  You are so sweet and supportive.  I appreciate you so much. 

St. Paulie Girl

2006-07-31 7:42 AM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Good job on the race! I hope your hamstring gets on board with the rest of you and you're able to make more progress on your running.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Richard B. Russell State Park Rss Feed