General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Body Composition Testing - Dexa Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-11 9:18 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Body Composition Testing - Dexa
I'm really looking forward to cleaning up the diet in the off season and I'm re-working my nutrition and fueling strategy. I would like to get a body composition test to determine my body fat % so I can measure my progress. I've read some great articles on getting a body comp via Dexa testing. Anyone in Atlanta have experience with somebody local for Dexa testing? How much $$ should I expect to pay? If I can't find anyone here for the testing or it's way too expensive, I'll resort to the dunk tank but the Dexa testing results looks pretty cool.

2013-11-12 11:21 AM
in reply to: atlTri4Food

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: RE: Body Composition Testing - Dexa

Question that rises for me is... why? I'm all for data for the sake of data but for the majority of us this test doesn't really serve a purpose. So trying to figure out why you want this test and is it worth the $$?

I had it done at Georgia Tech as part of a cycling study I was lab rat for. Again, cool data, but after the initial look that data went in the trash. Just check yourself out in front of the mirror when you get out of the shower, throw in a few flexes, and base your current fitness on that. It'll save you a lot of money and it's what the majority of us do anyway ;-)

2013-11-13 5:08 AM
in reply to: atlTri4Food

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Body Composition Testing - Dexa
I'm starting the Matt Fitzgerald's racing weight quick start 8 week program. The first part of the program is determining your body fat percentage and then basing your plan off of that number. He recommends DEXA in his book his tool of choice for getting bodyfat testing. I found a few places in Atlanta that do it but it's way too expensive for what I need (north of $200). Getting the hydro-static testing done today which will give me what I need and is way cheaper.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Body Composition Testing - Dexa Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Place to get body fat tested?

Started by jonathan22
Views: 3254 Posts: 9

2010-01-13 1:12 PM phatknot

VO2 Max Testing at LTF

Started by bschulte
Views: 1799 Posts: 7

2009-11-23 2:42 PM brian

Body Fat testing: Immersed in water

Started by latrina
Views: 837 Posts: 3

2009-04-10 10:10 AM phatknot

I don't like cramming for tests

Started by phatknot
Views: 1453 Posts: 13

2009-02-06 1:03 PM Coldfire

Performance testing at KSU

Started by abbagej
Views: 1145 Posts: 10

2008-10-14 10:04 AM abbagej
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 17, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
The purpose of the annual exam is to identify predisposing medical concerns that potentially can distract or diminish the training effectiveness of the triathlete.

date : March 4, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Have you been thinking about getting a lab test done to determine your Lactate Threshold number for generating precise heart-rate zones? Follow AJ as he subjects himself to this grueling test.
date : August 17, 2007
author : mikericci
If you are just getting off the couch, chances are you aren’t in any shape for an all out 30 minute run or bike LT test. So, what should you do?

date : February 12, 2007
author : Rich Strauss
Pay attention to details! Little things like body composition, bike fit, powermeter use and swim technique become big on the Varsity Team
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Video on what body marking is all about during check-in.

date : May 1, 2006
author : mrakes1
Far too many people are looking for quick body composition fixes, easy exercise programs and anything to keep their eating habits (and waistlines) under control.
date : October 31, 2004
author : ewkfit
comments : 1
I may not have pre-pubescent hips or breasts and at 36 that would be ridiculous. I do not need to have an "airbrushed body" and why do I revere that?

date : October 10, 2004
author : FIN16
comments : 1
The human body can endure extreme physical hardships but a trained, confident mind can endure much more.