RAM Racing
24F / -4C
Overcast
Total Time = 17m 24s
Overall Rank = 11/2330
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/91
Pre-race routine:

Colombian empanadas are so good....and so bad. I normally eat a bland dinner before all races big and small (white/brown rice with black beans seasoned only with salt). I also only drink water (except for one cup of coffee pre-race) for 24 hours before all races. I had been doing well with my vegetarian efforts this past week and it had been 4 days since I last had meat, and that was a bit of chicken. I was doing good...and then my girlfriend invited me to eat with her family for dinner. They had Colombian empanadas stuffed with beef and potato. Holy Moses...I ate 3 and washed it down with an adult beverage. Then they brought out the pastries. My pre-race routine was ruined in a sea of delicious, greasy, sweet foods. After getting home, I tried to make up for it by putting down some oatmeal fortified with chia, nutritional yeast, and flax. It led to a night full of tossing and turning with many hours when I thought everything I ate was going to come shooting back out. I made it through...after going to the bathroom 3 times in the morning. I was only able to put down one piece of bread (usual 2) with just honey and unsweetened hot tea instead of coffee. I had already adjusted expectations for this race from a previous goal of 18:30 to sub 19:30. I wasn't feeling well. If only I knew then about the magic that Colombian empanadas bring to runners...
Event warmup:

Cold. I went into this with the intention of racing this hard. I decided to get into it and see how I felt. Due to the cold temperatures, I decided to wait for awhile to start my warm-up. About 4 minutes of light jogging and 3-4 strides later, I was finding my way into the corral.
Run
  • 17m 24s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 05m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to start in the 2nd row, but got into the corral too late as I was trying to stay warm outside of the corral. My stomach wasn't feeling too good anyway, so I figured I'd just start and see how it goes. The horn went off and I quickly started to pick my way around the people who start quick. I was weaving for a few hundred meters and then found open road on the left side. I fell into a stride that felt quick and tight. I've found this works best for me when I try to go fast as opposed to trying to stretch my stride. I was consistently passing people. Turned the first corner very well. Right as I was passing two guys running together, I looked to my left and there was a doe not 10 feet from us. Just watching. Neat experience during a race. I kept up the pace and started to settle into this rhythm to see what the 1 mile split was. The clock said 5:40. I was a little surprised but felt good, so I decided to keep it up.

The second mile was setting my sights on people ahead of me and catching them. It got progressively harder to catch people as I went on. I set my sights on a guy in a red shirt about 100 m ahead. There were a few people on the way to him. I saw a tight turn coming up and a younger racer going into it. He didn't take it well and I used the opportunity. I hit the corner fast and went through it without slowing down a bit. I passed him no problem. Came through mile 2 split at 10:46. I'm not sure I believe that I did ile 2 in 5:05, but I'll take it.

Mile 3 was the least exciting as I didn't pass many people and just tried to catch the guy ahead of me. I was getting close and thought I had enough left to get him. We turned the last corner into the 1/4 straight into the finish and I decided to go after him. I turned the kick on and started closing. When I was about 10 m away, he turned his kick on and he had more left than I did. I knew I had a good time in the bag and was pretty sure I was top 5, so I let him go. I didn't have enough left. I crossed in 17:24. Way better than my hope of around 18:00 on a good day and sub 19:00 given my conditions. Not only that, it was cold (22) with a very cold wind. Bad conditions and not feeling good, 17:24 is GREAT!! I decided to check results later. I knew I wasn't top 3, but certainly 17:24 had to be good enough for top 10, my actual, big time goal for the race.

I went on with my day. Had great Thanksgiving lunch with friends and family. Took a nap and ate pie. Two long car rides later I got home.

Then I checked official results. 11th overall. I was shocked. My honest goal was top 10 and I figured that 17:24 was for sure top 10, probably top 5. 11th. I should be very happy. Afterall, my time at this race last year in better conditions was 19:49, so I dropped almost 2:30 from my 5k time in a year. But 11th. The top 3 were all under 16. Last year, a 17:24 would have been 3rd OA. I got unlucky with a fast group this year, but I really wanted that top 10 OA. This is important to me because part of the reason I race is for a healthy outlet to my competitive side. If I don't race, it spills into other parts of my life and it isn't always pretty. I'll be back at this race next year with a goal of under 17:00 for a definite top 5 spot.

I learned that I need to start racing more aggressively. I need to go out with the leaders and stick with them. I think I'm a good enough runner to do that and I need to start pushing myself. At the end of this race, I felt like I had some gas left, so running with the leaders would help push that.
What would you do differently?:

- Get to the front of the corral and go with the leaders (I need to believe that I'm a good enough runner to do that)

- Don't eat Colombian empanadas and pastries the night before

That's it. I ran a good race, just would have liked to have finished with a higher placing.
Post race
Warm down:

Got Apple Pie, drank Chocolate Milk, waited for the girlfriend to finish (who also got a huge PR!! AWESOME!). Went home and went to Thanksgiving.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not going out with the front pack.

Event comments:

I like this race. It's fun and a good way to start Thanksgiving. I'd do it each year.

Last updated: 2013-11-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:24 | 03.1 miles | 05m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/91
Overall: 11/2330
Performance: Good
Course: Several turns through a typical North Shore neighborhood of Chicago suburb.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-11-29 9:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Subject: North Shore Turkey Trot - 5k

2013-11-29 10:32 PM
in reply to: #4906052

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: North Shore Turkey Trot - 5k

Nice running! This race definitely does draw a decent crowd and has been getting a bit bigger & faster. Think a slight downhill at the start tends to throw a lot of people off for pacing too.

2013-11-30 8:49 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Subject: RE: North Shore Turkey Trot - 5k
Thanks!

That downhill definitely leads people to go out too fast. It got me last year.

I'll have to start with and stick with the leaders next time instead of starting a few rows back and hunting people down.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North Shore Turkey Trot - 5k Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

North Shore Turkey Trot - 5k

Started by The Chupacabra
Views: 984 Posts: 1

2012-11-23 8:22 AM The Chupacabra

North Texas Turkey Trot

Started by thedallasceliac
Views: 892 Posts: 1

2011-11-27 10:14 AM thedallasceliac

North Texas Turkey Trot

Started by kussmaul
Views: 791 Posts: 2

2011-11-24 10:41 PM ashort33

North Texas Turkey Trot

Started by ashort33
Views: 1292 Posts: 7

2011-11-28 3:27 PM RoniS

Jamba Juice North Shore Challenge - North Shore Swim Series Event #4

Started by swussow
Views: 1542 Posts: 1

2011-08-13 6:52 PM swussow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Some athletes call it runners' trots; others call it diarrhea. Whatever the name, few athletes openly discuss the topic yet many secretly suffer. Here’s some information about this stinky topic that m

date : September 10, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
An estimated 30 to 50% of distance runners experience exercise-related intestinal problems, with women experiencing more problems than do men. Learn how to minimize them in this article.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.
date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.