General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shin pain from cycling Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-03 4:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Subject: shin pain from cycling

Hello, since this summer I have been battling shin pain both legs.  I limited running because I assumed that was the cause.  I have been getting A.R.T treatments with ultrasound regularly with limited improvement in symptoms.  I have iced/rolled/calf and shinned stretched, etc. I have not run for 3 weeks but realized that I was still having generalized soreness in the area.  And one day after a trainer session, I noticed the pain again.  So, I googled shin pain from cycling and found out it is possible and probably common.  This summer, I also got a new tri bike including fit, and this is when the pain started happening.  So, I pulled out a large mirror the other day and watched my pedal stroke, and low and behold, I was dorsiflexing my ankles/ activating my shin muscles at the top part of my pedal stroke especially on harder intervals.  When I was running, I never felt the pain while running, I backed off for fear of them turning into something bad.

So with some effort, I will clean up my pedal technique, I even contacted my bike fitter to make sure things were still on par.  What felt like toe down to me was actually cleaner and I was no longer flexing my shins on the up stroke.

So, my question, are all shin pains equal?  When can I resume a slow run build again? Is this shin pain not as traumatic as the running type, fascia pulling away from bone etc, which could result in stress fractures while running? It is still an overuse injury?

I will also pay closer attention to not overstriding and preventing myself from dorsi flexing during running as well.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Edited by bgeyeguy 2013-12-03 4:06 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shin pain from cycling Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Shin pain from running resolved by cycling

Started by Guyute
Views: 1194 Posts: 6

2012-10-10 8:09 AM NickChasovskykh

Shin Splints/Calf Pain/Knee Pain ????

Started by clarkka7
Views: 3895 Posts: 6

2008-03-04 4:38 PM clarkka7

pain along side of shin from cycling

Started by vortmax
Views: 758 Posts: 2

2007-08-02 7:04 AM JoshKaptur

Shin pain - race coming up

Started by mtb-rider
Views: 1065 Posts: 5

2005-03-29 7:50 PM mtb-rider

Shin pain since high school

Started by IWanttoTri
Views: 1652 Posts: 19

2005-03-31 4:15 PM TRIBMAC
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : March 19, 2009
comments : 0
After riding my bike sometimes I will develop a very sharp intense pain in the first joint of my pointer finger. It seems to happen randomly and it lasts for anywhere from several minutes to an hour.
date : September 17, 2008
I still have heel pain and shin pain, and now I've got a weird pain in the center of my foot. Do you think I should have an x-ray to make sure that I don't have a stress fracture in my foot?

date : July 15, 2008
I get a very bad shoulder pain (left side only) when on the bike for over 45 minutes. The pain seems to be between my shoulder blades but only on the left side.
date : April 14, 2008
What you're describing sounds very much like chronic exertional compartment syndrome. This can cause pain and numbness like you're describing.

date : November 6, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Tips for completing the run portion of your first triathlon plus exercises and stretches to possibly help your shins.
date : May 1, 2006
This month I upped my bike time a lot but at relatively low intensity and I started experiencing pain on the outside lower part of my knee. It did not affect anything other than cycling.

date : November 14, 2004
author : trixie
A static stretching routine to aid in coordination, reducing muscle tension while serving to increase your range of motion.