BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2014-05-10 8:27 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED

Nancy- have a great race!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

2014-05-10 11:59 AM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Group ride was cancelled today because of threatening rain, so instead I just went right out of my house instead. 50F and drizzle, ugh. Just did 20 miles but they were not a fun 20 at all. I did a new route that was all rollers, almost never a flat spot. Much different experience. Not sure how I liked it yet. Now that it's cleared up I might go for a 5 mile run while the kid is sleeping. Have a good one everyone.
2014-05-10 1:06 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Just finished unpacking from this morning's race. While it wasn't a breeze, it went much better than I anticipated.

Race report is already done: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

This morning's race is at the same venue where I did my first Olympic distance last year. Same swim, same bike, same run, same everything. I was a few minutes faster overall this year which I find promising, as my fitness level at last year's race was definitely superior since I was 3 weeks out from my first half iron distance race.

Much better transitions this year, bit better on the bike, and a bit slower on the swim and the run. I know what my homework is. Overall, while I finished in the BOP, I'm feeling positive about where I am fitness wise currently and where I need to be in 4 1/2 months.
2014-05-10 1:57 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
South Alabama

Well done Nancy! Always good to see improvement. Sounds like a scary situation with the spectators on the bike course......nice job with the bike handling. 

2014-05-10 2:32 PM

User image

Randy...for about 10 seconds (which felt like 10 minutes), I thought I was going to eat pavement and that little girl was going to be mowed over by me. It really was scary.

I do have a question regarding electrolytes. I made the switch to Ucan this year, mainly because I found out last season that sugary sweet stuff really doesn't cooperate with my stomach.

I've had positive results with the Ucan thus far. I raced today on 2 1/2 scoops an hour prior to start, and snacked on mini pretzels on the bike. I mainly eat the pretzels because as one of those really salty sweaters, I need the sodium. Alas, most electrolyte blends also contain potassium and other minerals.

Energy wise I felt okay during the 3 hours I was out there on the Ucan. I was pretty crusty, though, when it was all over.

I'd like to find something that's a little more scientifically proven, though, than chowing down on pretzels during the time on the bike. I like the idea of eating solid food, so may continue to eat my little pretzels (they seem to make my stomach happy) I want salty, NOT sweet with electrolytes thrown in. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking using SaltStick tablets might fit the bill. Just need to read up a little...
2014-05-10 5:02 PM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Nancy- Great job! Sounds like you're right on track. Thanks for the advice on the seat, I've seen a lot of negative comments on the stock seat on the internet. Unfortunately, after buying the bike and a brand new wetsuit two weeks ago I'm starting to get the "look" from the CFO. After 23 years of marriage I know that "look" and realize that I'm going to have to suffer with stock seat for a little while anyway. After about a month or so I'll be able to renegotiate. I'll start complaining about it in a couple weeks and before you know it.....

I had a good race today as well. I ran 1:44:40 8:00 min/mile. Good for a 4 minute PR over last fall. Different course but similar (hilly) profiles. My goal was to go sub 1:45 so I'm happy. Started off overcast and drizzling which turned into a heavy shower for the middle 4 miles. At a certain point all that went through my head was "embrace the suck". Tossed my cookies just past the finish line right in front of a crowd of older ladies. So embarrassing! Why can't they put a trash can close to the finish? Oh well, at least I didn't get anyone.

2014-05-10 5:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

Randy...for about 10 seconds (which felt like 10 minutes), I thought I was going to eat pavement and that little girl was going to be mowed over by me. It really was scary.

WTH is wrong with people? That sucks - but it sounds like you have awesome bike handling skills - and SHE's lucky you do.

Great job and great racin!

Kevin - congrats to you too on a great race! Just tell the old ladies you're making room for lunch :D

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2014-05-10 5:30 PM
2014-05-10 5:37 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Kevin-nice work on the PR!  Losing your cookies at the end should be worn like a badge of honor......shows you gave it your all!

2014-05-10 7:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Great race, Nancy! Sounds like you're right where you want to be as far as training goes this year.

Kevin, nice work PRing! Barfing after your race just seems you put it all out there, and if the people at the finish line don't like it, then they're at the wrong place!

My race went well this morning: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

This was the third time I've done this race, it was my first, and I'm still making steady gains-1:29:06 in 2012, 1:12:12 last year, and 1:10:23 this year. I did well, overall, with pretty consistent results in each leg. My run was the best, though. The last 1/3 mile, I got passed by a guy in my AG. He didn't blow by me, so I stuck with him. Right near the end, I tried to make a move on him, but he sped up too. We were side-by-side when he noticed I was there, and then it was a dead sprint. I finished about two steps ahead of him, and we both congratulated each other on the finish; it was pretty epic. My pace at the finish line was 4:24. The other guy finished with the exact same time as me, so I'm glad I emptied the tank. I got 9/21 in my AG, and it's a competitive race, so I'm really happy with that.

I also joined my first triathlon group, the Memphis Thunder, today, in preparation for my upcoming move. It's a large club and it'll be fun to have training/racing partners. Other than my buddy Nate, I've never had that before.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!
2014-05-11 6:51 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-nice job....way to finish strong. That's great improvement over the 3 races. The gains you will see this year will continue to move you further up in a tough age group. Great seeing the progress you have made. Always fun being part of a team/club for both training and at races. I do all my training alone and really look forward to the camraderie of being part of a team on race day.

Heade out for my long run. The heat and humidity have arrived and look to be here for the next 5-6 months or so. 78 and humid at 6:45am. Planning an early mothers day lunch with wife and kids then a quiet day at home with a bike ride this afternoon. Have a great day everyone!

2014-05-11 11:24 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Back home as of last night. We brought the nice weather back with us.

Nothing really structured for this weekend because of travel but I am going to try to get in a little bit of training.

Nice job from everyone on their races. Lots of inspiration from your performances. Hopefully after TTT next weekend I will have good stuff to report as well. Is it ok to admit that I am more than a little bit nervous? This format has me worried but I am also looking forward to seeing how I hold up over four races. The hardest part might be the five hour drive home after race number 4.

2014-05-11 8:03 PM
in reply to: #4915043

User image

One of my friends, who is actually the man behind the DC Rainmaker blog (he edits and polishes each post before it is published), has been playing with some new technology....a GoPro & hovercraft. He made a video of the swim and transition area of Saturday's race from up in the sky. It's a pretty cool view. The lake is where we do our weekly open water swims. We generally swim right in front of the dam. From shore to shore is 1.2 miles http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=fJn8SdTCazA
2014-05-12 8:00 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nancy-very cool....especially the swim. Looks like a great venue for a race. Someone was doing this at the last race I did but I have not seen the video. Going to have to check on it.

2014-05-12 10:09 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Welcome to Monday!!

So I signed up for a DU on Sunday - it's a repeat of my first multisport event ever (and it was just in 2013). Going back and looking at the gps data, it's hillier than I remember.

And this year I've got this fancy new bike. On my road bike, I'm a good climber (when compared to other women at least) so I've been able to power through hilly courses and do pretty well for a first timer.

On to my question: Who climbs in aero on their tri bike and who jumps up? I'm thinking based on my (lack of) experience with this bike I'll be more comfortable sitting up right - I hate to stand unless absolutely necessary. Will this help or hurt me?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
2014-05-12 10:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Welcome to Monday!!

So I signed up for a DU on Sunday - it's a repeat of my first multisport event ever (and it was just in 2013). Going back and looking at the gps data, it's hillier than I remember.

And this year I've got this fancy new bike. On my road bike, I'm a good climber (when compared to other women at least) so I've been able to power through hilly courses and do pretty well for a first timer.

On to my question: Who climbs in aero on their tri bike and who jumps up? I'm thinking based on my (lack of) experience with this bike I'll be more comfortable sitting up right - I hate to stand unless absolutely necessary. Will this help or hurt me?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

My general rule is to always stay aero, depending on a few factors: how long the race is, how steep/long the hill is. If it's a long race, then getting up isn't really worth it to me, and if the hill is long, I think it's better to just work through your gears and keep spinning up the hill. Basically, to me, I just decide if I have matches to burn, as the saying goes, and whether seconds matter.
2014-05-12 1:45 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Great racing everyone. How awesome is it that everyone is setting PRs all over the place. Should shape up to be a pretty good summer for the group.

Speaking of, it finally feels like summer here. 80's and sunny, perfect out. Spent yesterday building my son a sandbox for mothers day. That makes sense, right? Had to bring in half a yard of sand and he got a kick out of watching me shovel it all, so I think I got some upper body work in yesterday. Did an hour on the trainer last night and 30 minutes in the pool at lunch today. Tonight might be more trainer work as my knee has been a little funky lately, trying to give it a few days off from running.

2014-05-12 1:57 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Master
South Alabama

Randee-I try to stay aero throughout the bike leg. However, I don't think you lose much sitting up for a few seconds if you are on a long hill and your speed has dropped. That can also be a good time to stretch your back or take in some fluid.

Swim workout done. Weights and very short run this evening. Feel like I've been running on empty the last couple of days....time to recharge a bit.

2014-05-12 6:27 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by slornow

Randee-I try to stay aero throughout the bike leg. However, I don't think you lose much sitting up for a few seconds if you are on a long hill and your speed has dropped. That can also be a good time to stretch your back or take in some fluid.

Swim workout done. Weights and very short run this evening. Feel like I've been running on empty the last couple of days....time to recharge a bit.

I can't take this saddle anymore. One of the Dave's at ISM has been really helpful and emails me even though I think I drive him nuts. I'm hoping he can suggest another model.

urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

surprisingly, I can ride on it perfectly fine upright :D
2014-05-13 1:22 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I get up out of aero for any climb that makes me reduce my cadence significantly. I don't think it slows me down much and lets me stretch. I am not lightning fast on the bike so take my advice with a grain of salt. Last year at Tahoe I felt better than I had ever felt on the bike for 112 miles. When I thought about it, there was probably close to 1:30 of out of aero time with all of the climbing (1/4 of my overall bike time). I am not sure if that is why I felt so good or if it was a better fit and more bike fitness. I would like to think the latter but I am not so sure.

Big event this morning...... I weighed myself for the first time in a while and was at 147 pounds. That is down from the 154 that I reported a month or more ago. I have been feeling leaner so I am not that surprised. That puts me right in the vicinity of what I consider my ideal racing weight.

On other fronts, I feel great. Almost too good. Usually at this point, a few days before a race, I feel like garbage. Right now I feel fantastic. Hope it carries through the weekend.
2014-05-13 2:23 PM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Jason - Glad to hear you are feeling good going into the big weekend, hopefully the results will match the effort you have put in.

Great racing for everyone this weekend. It is awesome to see the PR's and improvement being put up by the whole group in each race so far. I am looking forward to living vicariously through everyone again this weekend.

The acceleration guys have allowed me some light and easy return to running bu not much yet and there is still some lingering concerns about some specific muscle recruitment that we want to make sure improves before I really get to get back to anything serious. It's making me a little crazy but I figured I started all of this for a a specific reason, no reason to end it all before it starts.
2014-05-13 6:13 PM
in reply to: #4994770

User image

Randee....is the nose too wide, you think? What's interesting is that I'm uncomfortable in mine when I'm upright and in heaven in aero. I had an hour of hills today, and just stayed in aero as much as possible because it's much cozier. Hope you get yours worked out.

Jason...have a great week. If you're going down Route 33 from Columbus to Portsmouth....shout loud going through Lancaster. Maybe my mom will hear you.

2014-05-14 5:50 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

Randee....is the nose too wide, you think? What's interesting is that I'm uncomfortable in mine when I'm upright and in heaven in aero. I had an hour of hills today, and just stayed in aero as much as possible because it's much cozier. Hope you get yours worked out.

possibly. my shop told me to zip tie the front but from what I read online that solution is to alleviate chaffing - I don't have that **thankgoodness**

I have a duathlon on Sunday and I'm not going to ride until then and hope my sit bones heal a little before then. I should be able to fake it through 16 miles!
2014-05-14 6:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Randee- do your sit bones hurt or is there chafing or saddle sores where they are?

I'm no fitter but the saddle shouldn't put any pressure anywhere on your bottom or arms if the bike is fit correctly. You should be equally balanced over the main contact parts of the bike so that the bike is one with your body.

I'm lucky in that my bike was fit by one of the best (IMO) in the country. When we were dialing in the final adjustments the other day we tried moving the tilt of the aero bars up and down. The fitter loosened the bars just enough so I could change the height while riding on trainer during the fit. I noticed that when they were tilted/moved up higher that I had to scoot back on the saddle and there was pressure on my saddle/butt. But when the bars were moved down the pressure left.

It might be something as easy as changing the tilt of your bars that could alleviate the pressure on your sit bones. I'll try to post a pic later of my fit. I would also highly recommend the Cobb JOF saddle.

Edited by Catwoman 2014-05-14 6:52 AM
2014-05-14 8:03 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by wannabefaster On other fronts, I feel great. Almost too good. Usually at this point, a few days before a race, I feel like garbage. Right now I feel fantastic. Hope it carries through the weekend.

OK Jason......4 races in 3 days. Super sprint friday evening. Olympic Saturday morning and afternoon and HIM on Sunday. I have to know your thoughts on pacing this thing. Do you bust it like a stand alone event for each race and hope you have something left for the last race/races or do you dial it back and treat it like one big race? It's hard not to go "hard" in a race but doing so may leave your tank empty come Saturday afternoon/Sunday. If I were doing it this would be my "plan"....execution would be the key. Super sprint: push pretty hard but not true sprint pacing...maybe more like I would shoot for in an oly. For the 2 olympic races I would probably shoot for just above HIM watts and somewhere between oly and HIM pace for the run. For the HIM I would probably back off power 5% or so from what I would usually shoot for on the bike, start the run at a pace maybe 30 sec/mile slower than usual HIM run pace and then see what I have left at 10 miles in. Still I would worry that may be too aggressive and the accumulated fatigue would catch up with me.  I'm sure all this analysis is making you feel more comfortable.  Another option would be to sandbag the first 3 races and try to blow everyone away in the HIM.

Spill the beans. Inquiring minds want to know! 

2014-05-14 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by slornow

Originally posted by wannabefaster On other fronts, I feel great. Almost too good. Usually at this point, a few days before a race, I feel like garbage. Right now I feel fantastic. Hope it carries through the weekend.

OK Jason......4 races in 3 days. Super sprint friday evening. Olympic Saturday morning and afternoon and HIM on Sunday. I have to know your thoughts on pacing this thing. Do you bust it like a stand alone event for each race and hope you have something left for the last race/races or do you dial it back and treat it like one big race? It's hard not to go "hard" in a race but doing so may leave your tank empty come Saturday afternoon/Sunday. If I were doing it this would be my "plan"....execution would be the key. Super sprint: push pretty hard but not true sprint pacing...maybe more like I would shoot for in an oly. For the 2 olympic races I would probably shoot for just above HIM watts and somewhere between oly and HIM pace for the run. For the HIM I would probably back off power 5% or so from what I would usually shoot for on the bike, start the run at a pace maybe 30 sec/mile slower than usual HIM run pace and then see what I have left at 10 miles in. Still I would worry that may be too aggressive and the accumulated fatigue would catch up with me.  I'm sure all this analysis is making you feel more comfortable.  Another option would be to sandbag the first 3 races and try to blow everyone away in the HIM.

Spill the beans. Inquiring minds want to know! 

4 races in 3 days...I'm tired just thinking about that! I have zero advice on how to do that, but you'll do great, I'm sure!

I've had an "off" couple days since the race last weekend, but I'm feeling stronger today. I have a weird-distance race this weekend in Knoxville: 1.2m swim, 40 mile bike, 9.8 mile run. I'm looking forward to it, but work is keeping me busy enough that I can't really focus on it that much. Also, getting ready for the move! I hope everyone is having a great week of training!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.