BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2014-01-12 8:29 PM
in reply to: jwthomas

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
Subject: RE: BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED

Well, I finished my first Olympic Distance race yesterday. I entered one in November but had to withdraw after the swim with mechanical problems.

I only finished mid pack, but I was stoked with my time. Swim was fast (for me), bike was OK, and the run was well under 50mins which was my aim. I could have gone a little quicker on the bike, and I certainly could have pushed harder on the run (I finished really strongly). But these are things I will learn with more race practice. I am just learning about pacing in a multisport event (I am a bit better when I am training in a single discipline).

The most important thing... I had an aweomse time!

Next up, my first HIM. Three weeks and counting...

2014-01-12 8:31 PM
in reply to: cadnams

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by cadnams Well, I finished my first Olympic Distance race yesterday. I entered one in November but had to withdraw after the swim with mechanical problems. I only finished mid pack, but I was stoked with my time. Swim was fast (for me), bike was OK, and the run was well under 50mins which was my aim. I could have gone a little quicker on the bike, and I certainly could have pushed harder on the run (I finished really strongly). But these are things I will learn with more race practice. I am just learning about pacing in a multisport event (I am a bit better when I am training in a single discipline). The most important thing... I had an aweomse time! Next up, my first HIM. Three weeks and counting...

That's AWESOME!  Congrats on the race - and it's a PR!

Pacing gets easier, but is always a challenge.

That's great that you enjoyed it so much - it's a total addiction.  

Matt

2014-01-12 8:32 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Awesome Job! Congrats!
2014-01-13 6:07 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Yang Min Shan, T'ai-pei
What is everyone riding? Do you have a tribike or a road bike? Does anyone use a power meter. At the beginning of last summer i bought a new Trek Madone 5.2. It is a nice ride. I plan to add some aerobars later in the spring.
2014-01-13 7:00 AM
in reply to: TK

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by TK What is everyone riding? Do you have a tribike or a road bike? Does anyone use a power meter. At the beginning of last summer i bought a new Trek Madone 5.2. It is a nice ride. I plan to add some aerobars later in the spring.

I got back into tri through riding, after a colleague at work convinced me to try a new bike.  I bought a road bike about 2 years ago, a Specialized Venge, and road a ton for 4 or 5 months.  Decided since I already ran some and occasionally would swim when down the cottage and such, I'd try a tri after a couple decades off, that fall (2012).

About halfway through an 8-week plan for two fall sprints, I put a power meter on the bike.  Now I use wattage pretty routinely for training and, at the end of last season, for racing, too.

Last spring I decided that 2013 would be a mostly tri year (although still did a bunch of running races late winter through spring) and bought a used 2009 Cervelo P2C.  Also bought a quiver of used Zipp wheels over the course of a couple months.  Wound up with, for me, a fast package at a fraction of the cost (used and tubular wheels - so it didn't have that new bike smell and flats could be an issue).

About half way through the summer, I bought another Quarg (also used) for the tri bike and put it on just before Timberman last August.  I now use power a lot, but still integrate HR (I think the picture is incomplete without HR and RPE, but many of my roadie friends disagree - oh well).

So, I now ride the tri bike WAY more than the road bike.  I just love the way it rides when I get in aero and start cranking along!  For group rides, I'm glad I have the road bike (which is, ironically, much "nicer" than my tri bike - but as engine is my limiter, my legs don't know that!), but I love the tri bike.

Matt

2014-01-13 7:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

DP

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2014-01-13 7:01 AM

2014-01-13 7:12 AM
in reply to: TK

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I'm riding a Fuji Team SL from 2006 that I have adjusted a bit and put aero bars on. It is quick enough for me for now, but a tri bike is in the future. I also am starting to build a fixie/single speed for training. A number of the guys I ride with swear by the gains they have seen using them, and since I am chasing those guys on Strava, I have to believe them. I figure it's simply a tool to help me improve my strength and to have fun on.

In so far as cadence is concerned, I think each of us is a bit different, some mash along just fine, while others prefer to spin. I think it is important to find your sweet spot, while continuing to improve. Also, keep in mind that there is an entire footrace to be had after you get off the bike, so you really need to find the spot where you can dismount and go. My only advice is to try anything and everything and see what works for you.

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Really, triple post????? ARGH

Edited by cdban66 2014-01-13 7:17 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Danged DP

Edited by cdban66 2014-01-13 7:13 AM
2014-01-13 7:15 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by cadnams Well, I finished my first Olympic Distance race yesterday. I entered one in November but had to withdraw after the swim with mechanical problems. I only finished mid pack, but I was stoked with my time. Swim was fast (for me), bike was OK, and the run was well under 50mins which was my aim. I could have gone a little quicker on the bike, and I certainly could have pushed harder on the run (I finished really strongly). But these are things I will learn with more race practice. I am just learning about pacing in a multisport event (I am a bit better when I am training in a single discipline). The most important thing... I had an aweomse time! Next up, my first HIM. Three weeks and counting...

Great job!!!! How cool that you had a great time doing it. So good to see, keep after it!

2014-01-13 7:20 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Matt - How cool to see the wildlife! This morning there was a hawk on a phone wire that was watching me. One of the trails I run on goes under an eagle nest. It is so cool that we can still see some of this, and in your area at that.

2014-01-13 9:09 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by cadnams

Well, I finished my first Olympic Distance race yesterday. I entered one in November but had to withdraw after the swim with mechanical problems.

I only finished mid pack, but I was stoked with my time. Swim was fast (for me), bike was OK, and the run was well under 50mins which was my aim. I could have gone a little quicker on the bike, and I certainly could have pushed harder on the run (I finished really strongly). But these are things I will learn with more race practice. I am just learning about pacing in a multisport event (I am a bit better when I am training in a single discipline).

The most important thing... I had an aweomse time!

Next up, my first HIM. Three weeks and counting...

Chris Congratulations!

Sounds like a awesome race and awesome time. Your 1st Olympic still sounds like your pacing was pretty good. Pacing will get better with more racing and training experience. You will be only looking to get faster, for sure.

Now a HIM in three week. We'll I am curious on how you approach your training from now until then. What is your thoughts on this? What kind of pacing are you looking at for the HIM?
2014-01-13 9:19 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by TK

What is everyone riding? Do you have a tribike or a road bike? Does anyone use a power meter. At the beginning of last summer i bought a new Trek Madone 5.2. It is a nice ride. I plan to add some aerobars later in the spring.

For training and racing I have two bikes. My first is a Specialized Secteur Triple that I bought about 4 years back when I got into triathlon. It is aluminum, has entry level components, and weighs around 25 lbs. (I use some thick 700x28 tires which really helps with the feel of the bike and keeps every bump or rut in the road from being telegraphed directly to my tailbone). Until last summer, I had it set up with a fast forward seat post and a set of aerobars. I've taken the aerobars off since then. I love to ride this bike and if I could only have one bike, this is the one I would keep.

In late April last year, I finally reached a sufficient level of pestering my wife and she gave me permission to get a tri bike. I originally was looking at a Blue Triad AL that I'd found online for a steal. After some back and forth with the shop, it turned out that the size they had left wasn't going to work for me. However, they did have a carbon frame Triad SP (2011) on sale. I wound up purchasing the bike and then getting it dialed in with a local fitter. It is a fun, fast, ride.

If I ride 3-4 times a week, I'll ride my road bike about 60-75% of the time. However, if I'm within about a month or so of a triathlon, I will ride the Tri Bike pretty much exclusively.

Last fall, I bought a single speed bike from Walmart for my birthday and spent a few weeks tearing it apart, sanding, painting, and upgrading parts and components on it (tires, pedals, brakes, chain, handlebars, stem). It was a great way to learn a bit of bike mechanics without having to worry about screwing up a nicer bike. I use it mostly for running errands or the occasional commute to work (only about 2 miles away).

Edited by tedjohn 2014-01-13 9:30 AM
2014-01-13 4:56 PM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

OK - just about 2 weeks in the books this year.  How is everyone's training going?

I just finished my "Base 1" (of 3 base) cycles and am on a "rest and test" week.  I can definitely feel the strain of the last 3 weeks in my legs - feels almost like a mid-season "build" block, but I think that's because I'm working in a bit more intensity in the run than is called for in the tri plan (I have a HM in about 9 or 10 weeks, so I'm doing a bit more there).

Running is coming along well - responding to last year's effort, I think, even after over a month of nothing serious.  Swimming is interesting, as I'm now doing workouts with sets rather than hopping in Walden pond and swimming across and back (my go to last year).  Biking?  Well, at least I'm spending time on it, but I'm a long way from my power of last season.

The bike is what I am a bit concerned about this season.  To improve my times, it's bike and run.  I'm on a run focus now, but I'm not sure I'll have the time to really build the bike to where I need it come June 8th (first HIM).  Almost certainly by AGN/Timberman, but only if I focus on it.

Juggling is fun!

So, how's it coming for you?  What is going well?  What's concerning?

Matt

2014-01-13 5:22 PM

User image

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

OK - just about 2 weeks in the books this year.  How is everyone's training going?

I just finished my "Base 1" (of 3 base) cycles and am on a "rest and test" week.  I can definitely feel the strain of the last 3 weeks in my legs - feels almost like a mid-season "build" block, but I think that's because I'm working in a bit more intensity in the run than is called for in the tri plan (I have a HM in about 9 or 10 weeks, so I'm doing a bit more there).

Running is coming along well - responding to last year's effort, I think, even after over a month of nothing serious.  Swimming is interesting, as I'm now doing workouts with sets rather than hopping in Walden pond and swimming across and back (my go to last year).  Biking?  Well, at least I'm spending time on it, but I'm a long way from my power of last season.

The bike is what I am a bit concerned about this season.  To improve my times, it's bike and run.  I'm on a run focus now, but I'm not sure I'll have the time to really build the bike to where I need it come June 8th (first HIM).  Almost certainly by AGN/Timberman, but only if I focus on it.

Juggling is fun!

So, how's it coming for you?  What is going well?  What's concerning?

Matt

Training going awesome glad to hear same for you! Running going well, first race in early may and swim is coming along. I'm not fast yet but endurance is good so I'm cautiously confident. Biking, however, I need to pay attention to. I spin 2\wk, and have a trainer, bit the road bike I want to use I think needs some real TLC. Its an old Panasonic I picked up last fall from a cyclist. Too old to put on the trainer so got my hybrid on there for now. I have no idea where my power, speed, etc are. The world of cycling is very new to me I need to spend some time with it. This weekend I have scheduled a 90 min ride, not sure yet how I'm gonna do it. I did put clips on the Panasonic but tires pretty smooth so not sure its best for winter riding tho I really want to get it out there. Igotta get it to a shop for a checkup...
2014-01-14 4:37 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Chris Congratulations!

Sounds like a awesome race and awesome time. Your 1st Olympic still sounds like your pacing was pretty good. Pacing will get better with more racing and training experience. You will be only looking to get faster, for sure.

Now a HIM in three week. We'll I am curious on how you approach your training from now until then. What is your thoughts on this? What kind of pacing are you looking at for the HIM?

Thanks James.

In terms of training, I planned to go flat out for the next two weeks and taper gradually for one week (maybe a couple of days longer). A couple of long hill sessions on the bike and one long run (around half marathon distance) is my plan. Although this week the temperatures are in the 40+ C range (110 F) which means I will be taking it easier than I'd hoped.

My pacing will be the same for the swim. Bike will be a little slower but not too much. Run will be slower and will depend a little on how hot it is. Would love to go sub 1:50 but that might be pushing it. Anything inside 2:00 would be great. I will be aiming to maintain a consistent pace, and maybe negative split the bike/run if I can.

2014-01-14 6:58 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Matt - I am settling into my running after fighting a pretty bad upper resp cold that put me out for 2 weeks. I am getting into a pretty good place between fatigue in the legs and desire to keep adding distance. It is supposed to cool down a bit at the end of the week, which is good because I have trail time on Saturday. We'll see how it goes. Another month or so of just running, then I'll start to add in the bike. Pool  time will come shortly after that, probably early March. I may start looking for a swim coach or masters or something to help me get better, as it is truly the anchor in my past races. I'll figure it out later though, for now I simply run.

In more fun news, my bike  is painted and I should be stopping by the LBS this week to order parts. 

Keep on keeping on everyone!

2014-01-14 1:16 PM

User image

My main goal for Jan and Feb is to increase the amount of daily exercise to a mean of 1h per day. In the second half of 2013 due to a combination of work pressure and natural laziness my training levels were quite low. So far, so good.

Other than that, I am looking around for a new road bike. I have a decent MTB but the road bike is a 1985 steel frame with a 6-speed shimano 105 groupset :-)
While the bike is still going strong and I love it, I am tempted to add a newer frame to the stable.
2014-01-15 7:14 AM
in reply to: ghyoc

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Off to get a tune up to my bike fit today.  Last time was earlier in the season last year, and I've changed it quite a bit over the course of the season as I got more fit/used to it (it was "new to me" last season and I dropped the cockpit about 1.5-2cm - one spacer at a time - over the season and moved the seat forward a bit, and up a bit, as well). 

So, I'm now a little more stretched forward than I'd like, but I can't figure how to get the arm rests back or my body forward enough to have a 90 degree bend in my arm.  We'll see what the local guru says...

If you haven't ever done so, and can afford the hundred plus or so bucks, getting a fit is a VERY good idea on the bike.  Have any of you all used fitters?

Matt

2014-01-15 8:28 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Off to get a tune up to my bike fit today.  Last time was earlier in the season last year, and I've changed it quite a bit over the course of the season as I got more fit/used to it (it was "new to me" last season and I dropped the cockpit about 1.5-2cm - one spacer at a time - over the season and moved the seat forward a bit, and up a bit, as well). 

So, I'm now a little more stretched forward than I'd like, but I can't figure how to get the arm rests back or my body forward enough to have a 90 degree bend in my arm.  We'll see what the local guru says...

If you haven't ever done so, and can afford the hundred plus or so bucks, getting a fit is a VERY good idea on the bike.  Have any of you all used fitters?

Matt

For my road bike and tri bike, I've gone to a fitter who used Specialized's fit system. On my road bike, he noticed some things right away that were leading to inefficiency and he also helped to install a forward seat post on my bike as well as a set of aero bars. I went back to him a while later when I had some issues with my left knee and he helped me to make a few adjustments. After that, the pain was gone again.

The third time I went was for my Tri bike and that was by far the best experience. By that point, I had done quite a bit more riding and understood the adjustments more. I also had a better sense of what was comfortable, and what wasn't.

In terms of cost, it was about $50-100 each time and probably a 90 minute to 2 hour investment of time. But I agree, it is well worth it in the long run..
2014-01-15 11:07 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Matt, I was fitted or positioned, on my road bike a while back. I have to find the measurements, now that I think about it. I have since added the clip on aero bars and changed seats and made a few minor adjustments. All have moved me in the direction of more comfort. Next is spacer removal to drop my front end a small bit. I have found that I can only change one thing at a time and give it a couple of rides before I make a decision for myself. I may try some fitting software when I get the Fixie built, just to fool with it and have some perspective before my next bike.

2014-01-16 1:36 AM

User image

I haven't used a professional fitter so far, maybe for the next bike. What aspect of your riding had the most improvement after the fitting ? Confort, speed, endurance ?

2014-01-16 7:30 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by ghyoc

I haven't used a professional fitter so far, maybe for the next bike. What aspect of your riding had the most improvement after the fitting ? Confort, speed, endurance ?

1st proper knee, hip and other joint alignment. This is essential not to cause unnecessary wear on joints and tendons. Which will also play into comfort.

2nd and the rest is; comfort, power (speed) and aerodynamics (endurance).

There is no real order in the 2nd group. The more cycling fitness you have will also play heavy into that group. For example many people will forgo a more aggressive aerodynamic fit for comfort on long cources. Really people who get refitted to their bikes are often dialing in the fit based on the fitness, comfort and aerodynamics.

Edited by BrotherTri 2014-01-16 7:33 AM
2014-01-16 12:41 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by BrotherTri
Originally posted by ghyoc I haven't used a professional fitter so far, maybe for the next bike. What aspect of your riding had the most improvement after the fitting ? Confort, speed, endurance ?
1st proper knee, hip and other joint alignment. This is essential not to cause unnecessary wear on joints and tendons. Which will also play into comfort. 2nd and the rest is; comfort, power (speed) and aerodynamics (endurance). There is no real order in the 2nd group. The more cycling fitness you have will also play heavy into that group. For example many people will forgo a more aggressive aerodynamic fit for comfort on long cources. Really people who get refitted to their bikes are often dialing in the fit based on the fitness, comfort and aerodynamics.

Totally agree with the above.  

This was a re-fit for me, after making the bike a bit more aggressive on my own over the season (dropped the cockpit incrementally over the season and couple other things).  

It was interesting, as I'm not in peak form at the moment (ahem… not even near it!), so I expected to make it a bit less aggressive.  What he did was keep the cockpit low (and recognize that I'm rounding my back more than before and I need to work on stretching my hammies a bit to be able to flatten out over the next couple months), move the seat forward (I was beginning to stretch onto my bars, which gave my lats and tris NO rest - brutal in a HIM) to match what I'd done dropping my bars and to move the pads slightly wider (this allowed better breathing, but still kept my arms inside the outer edges of my thighs - so no aero penalty).

In short - just dialed it in a bit, as the fit wasn't far off.  I'll tell you, it felt MUCH better riding it right afterward.  For a sprint, I might pull the pads in a little (less than an hour and I'll pinch my lungs for a little aero), but otherwise I'm hoping this is the fit for the season...

The first couple times I was fitted, though, saw MUCH bigger changes from the first to second fit as I got used to the aero position and a tri bike instead of my roadie.  So, the first fit is critical, but I'd recommend a re-fit a couple months later during your first season on the bike (as you're likely to be able to handle a bit more change than a re-fit after a year on the bike).

Matt

2014-01-17 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Another trail run in the books, this one was much better than last week. I think things are starting to come together, so I will celebrate with a trip to Disney World tomorrow. I may wear the GPS and see what a day of theme parking comes in as?

I hope the weekend is great for everyone!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 13

RELATED POSTS

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 98690 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15995 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29343 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
Views: 60528 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 0
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.

date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Team BT
The day of the triathlon was one of the best days of my life. I felt strong and healthy. Lots of friends and family came to cheer me on. The support was overwhelming.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : May 9, 2005
author : mikericci
Athletes should have completed at least one Olympic distance triathlon or swim 500 yards consecutively / bike 15 mile consecutively / run 3 miles consecutively.
date : May 9, 2005
author : mikericci
Sprint distance athletes should have completed 1-3 sprints and/or be able to swim 200 yards consecutively / bike 8 mile consecutively / run 1.5 miles consecutively.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Access to more articles, full training log features, an entire detailed training plan library and plan support - plus many additional perks.