BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2014-01-04 7:19 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Open
My first help request: deciphering my swim workout!

It says 950 yds in 36 mins and then breaks it down as below, but I can't seem to make it add up and I'm not sure what I'm meant to do tomorrow!

Main Set:21m /550 yards

Set #1 400 yards
Drills
Practice these warmup drills first for 10 minute before starting your drills:
Bob, Kick and Breath, Kick, Breath and Stroke. Then proceed into these drills:
2x(50 Drill: Kick On Side, 50 Drill: Six Kick Change)
4x(25 Drill: Kick On Back, 25 Freestyle)

Set #2 100 yards
Endurance
Intervals: 2x50' on 5' rest
Pace: 04m 31s - 04m 10s /100 yards

Set #3 50 yards
Endurance

Cooldown: 150 yards

Pace: - 04m 32s /100 yards
Freestyle at recovery pace

2014-01-05 5:58 AM
in reply to: gojogojo

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay
Aloha everyone,

Just wondering what we all achieved this past week? I think it always good to celebrate the small steps along the way to our dreams and goals. A wee pat on the back is always good.

For me? Well I averaged 3 hours a day exercise. I don't log walking miles on here(seems a bit lame to do so some how), but most of my exercise is walking right know. For me coming from zero about 2 weeks ago and in the shape (I am not telling you what that shape is LOL) I think it deserves a pat.

I actually ran (Okay jogged slower than I walk but hey ) for nearly a mile with no ill effects on my back. Yay... happy dancing all around the room.

Stayed focused to my nutrition and nailed it again this week. I was 265 lbs in 28th Dec and aiming for 257 this Thursday weigh in.

Also did my first full week of core work.

Next week I am looking to start a run/walk program to take me up to 5k and apart from hitting my weight just looking to maintain what I have done this week.

I think I deserve a wee self satisfied celebration for these small steps on the long road to Ironman. After all I just made the road a little shorter.

What about you guys? Please share with me your victories this week. They will help to inspire me. - Thank you - Paul (The Kona Express)

P.S I will be adding you all to my friends list if that is okay so I can stalk you all in the nicest possible way.
2014-01-05 8:17 AM
in reply to: #4915342

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed at the Moment
Hey Paul,
Way to keep that motivation alive! This is my first season. Previously, I had never gone to the gym, worked out, played sports etc. I'm clearly not an expert but I would caution not to over do it and burn out or get injured.

This week I've done the workouts I've intended, no more and no less and have a smile on my face
2014-01-05 8:52 AM
in reply to: paul walker

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay
Okay fellow turtles,

So I am going to start a run/walk programme to get me to my 5k goal for The end of March. I was thinking about the " Aggressive Couch to 5K (3mile) Program - 4 Months " on the site here.

As the mathematicians amongst you will realise I only have 12 weeks and not the 14 required for the programme.

The first week is all walking, no running. So I will drop that week as I am walking plenty already. I need, therefore, to drop another 3 weeks. Bearing in mind I am intending to go easy, I thought dropping the 1st week to each month to drop the programme to a 12 week one instead of 16 weeks.

What do you guys think? Am I missing something or good to go? - Paul
2014-01-05 1:02 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by gojogojo My first help request: deciphering my swim workout! It says 950 yds in 36 mins and then breaks it down as below, but I can't seem to make it add up and I'm not sure what I'm meant to do tomorrow! Main Set:21m /550 yards Set #1 400 yards Drills Practice these warmup drills first for 10 minute before starting your drills: Bob, Kick and Breath, Kick, Breath and Stroke. Then proceed into these drills: 2x(50 Drill: Kick On Side, 50 Drill: Six Kick Change) 4x(25 Drill: Kick On Back, 25 Freestyle) Set #2 100 yards Endurance Intervals: 2x50' on 5' rest Pace: 04m 31s - 04m 10s /100 yards Set #3 50 yards Endurance Pace: 04m 31s - 04m 10s /100 yards Cooldown: 150 yards Pace: - 04m 32s /100 yards Freestyle at recovery pace

OK, I may be wrong, but maybe it's expecting you to do another 300 yards as a warm up? It seems overly complicated, laying out specified paces for the main set and the cool down. There's no way I'd remember all of that once I was in the pool (exercise makes my brain go fuzzy) let alone keep an eye on the clock and swim to a time.

2014-01-05 1:18 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by paul walker Okay fellow turtles, So I am going to start a run/walk programme to get me to my 5k goal for The end of March. I was thinking about the " Aggressive Couch to 5K (3mile) Program - 4 Months " on the site here. As the mathematicians amongst you will realise I only have 12 weeks and not the 14 required for the programme. The first week is all walking, no running. So I will drop that week as I am walking plenty already. I need, therefore, to drop another 3 weeks. Bearing in mind I am intending to go easy, I thought dropping the 1st week to each month to drop the programme to a 12 week one instead of 16 weeks. What do you guys think? Am I missing something or good to go? - Paul

Good on you for getting started and stuck in! Congratulations too on the weight loss and the core work, that sort of stuff has a wonderful cumulative effect and you'll be running free and easy in no time .

As for the programme, jumping forward a week out of four is probably as good as any other system. Just don't skimp on your rest weeks and rest days, they are vital to keeping you injury free, and aim for a smooth and steady increase in the time you spend running-the 10% rule is a great rule of thumb. If you have a look around the web you'll find plenty of other C25K programmes, maybe take a look at some of the 12 week ones and incorporate some of what they do into your plan? And the "running slower than I walk" part is perfect, keep it slow and steady and speed will come later. 

2014-01-05 4:26 PM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay
"Can't be arsed!"

Idiom:

To be seriously demotivated.
To be disinclined to get off one's arse.
To be unwilling to do something

Okay I know this is a very UK expression but it is how I am feeling. But it made me wonder. When you "can't be arsed" what gets you to take action?

Tonight I would like to get on the turbo and spin for an hour maybe more. I'm not ill, injured or overstrained, but... I can't be arsed. SO! I recalled why I am doing this. Imagined one day finishing down Ali'i Drive (okay it's going to be in the dark but it's my dream ), crowds cheering and "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC is on the PA system. Getting on the turbo will get me one more step along the road closer. I tell myself that even if I do just 5 minutes it will be something. If I still feel I can't be arsed I can stop. But I know I won't.

What gets you off your arse ( for USA friends) ? I'd love to hear.

Check my log to see if I did 5 mins or more
2014-01-05 4:36 PM
in reply to: #4924422

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed at the Moment
Might help you out with the mental game.
http://youtu.be/f-KUEF2TvcQ

Or look for Bobby Mcgee mental on YouTube if link doesn't work
2014-01-05 6:45 PM
in reply to: Just_Kelly

User image

Subject: RE: Just for Fun
Kelly!
We live pretty close to each other!! I live down in Richlands by Jacksonville. I love your new ride! Very snazzy! I love to ride my bike and wish I had someone to ride with besides my husband LOL If you ever come down this way let me know! They have a really cool Tri in September JUST for Women called *Dash for Divas* it is held at White Lake and I bet you would love it!! I am a horrible swimmer.... I have never been taught how to do any sort of stroke so I just kinda dog paddle and side stroke my way around in the water :-) Anyway just wanted to say hello and hopefully our paths will cross since we are so close! Enjoy your new ride!!

Darcie
2014-01-06 8:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by gojogojo

It says 950 yds in 36 mins and then breaks it down as below, but I can't seem to make it add up and I'm not sure what I'm meant to do tomorrow!

Set #1 400 yards
Drills

Set #2 100 yards
Endurance

Set #3 50 yards
Endurance

Jo, I like Taringa believe that the warm up they speak of is additional yardage. Most workouts have a set training distance and the warm up and cool down is extra yardage. I'm not sure what plan you are using, but most will break down each drill (how it should be done or what it is), how you should use the plan, and answer general questions. Each plan is written a little different and in my opinion unless you grew up a competitive swimmer they all seem a little Greek.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2014-01-06 8:05 AM
2014-01-06 8:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by paul walker

Aloha everyone,

Just wondering what we all achieved this past week? I think it always good to celebrate the small steps along the way to our dreams and goals. A wee pat on the back is always good.

For me? Well I averaged 3 hours a day exercise. I don't log walking miles on here(seems a bit lame to do so some how), but most of my exercise is walking right know. For me coming from zero about 2 weeks ago and in the shape (I am not telling you what that shape is LOL) I think it deserves a pat.

I actually ran (Okay jogged slower than I walk but hey ) for nearly a mile with no ill effects on my back. Yay... happy dancing all around the room.

Stayed focused to my nutrition and nailed it again this week. I was 265 lbs in 28th Dec and aiming for 257 this Thursday weigh in.

Also did my first full week of core work.

Next week I am looking to start a run/walk program to take me up to 5k and apart from hitting my weight just looking to maintain what I have done this week.

I think I deserve a wee self satisfied celebration for these small steps on the long road to Ironman. After all I just made the road a little shorter.

What about you guys? Please share with me your victories this week. They will help to inspire me. - Thank you - Paul (The Kona Express)

P.S I will be adding you all to my friends list if that is okay so I can stalk you all in the nicest possible way.

Great job Paul and you should be proud and pat yourself on the back. As others have said be mindful of how much you are doing and how quick. Listen to your body, which I know you know but we some times get so into it and are enjoying ourselves that we don't notice things that we should. I like the Couch to 5K programs and think they are set up very well to get people safely to a 5k race. I would however say that you don't always have to over achieve. With what you are / have gone through I would suggest maybe just doing the standard plan unless you know the other can be done with no problems. The time difference on race day will not be huge and could possibly be better due to a fresher healthier you if the other plan is pushing it so to speak.

2014-01-06 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alright, Alright, Kick Off Time Is Here

First thing that everyone in the group needs to do is to add everyone in the group to your friends list. This is very simple to do, just start on the first page of this thread and go one name / intro at a time. You will click on the persons name, then a box will appear with several choices and you click on Add to Friends, which will put them in. Doing it this way will also give everyone a chance to see the intros again to kind of reacquaint themselves. (The friends list is very important as it makes it much easier to send inspires and also allows others to see your log if it's locked to the public)

Second, everyone needs to start logging there workouts on a daily bases or as close to daily a possible. (Life happens so there will be times that everyone is away for a few days) Speaking of being away, if you are going to be away for a lengthy period of time post letting us know that so we are not worried or thinking that you have fallen off the wagon so to speak.

I will try to work on putting everyone's User Name - Real name and there BT link into a group so that everyone can cut and past it into their log. This will also make it very easy to find everyone, look at their logs, and send inspires. I am not the most computer literate so this may take me a bit to do, so if anyone else is really good at this stuff and wants to do it I would greatly appreciate it.

Lastly, I will be sending out an inspire to everyone in the group to show you how it will appear and to make sure that everyone knows that we are starting today. (This will not work for some of you if your log is set to private because I will be unable to get to your inspire button)

It's Turtle Time

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2014-01-06 8:53 AM
2014-01-06 12:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I was able to figure it out and you all should be able to copy the information below into your log, which should provide a direct link to each Turtle's training log. I was not able to do Pixiedustlady, tweets 4611, or longrun26 because they were set to private but will do so when they change. I will also do and post the returning Turtles later for everyone to add.

Tried to past in from my log which did not work, I will keep trying.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2014-01-06 1:00 PM
2014-01-06 1:08 PM

User image

I set mine so you can add me now. I didn't know it was private lol sorry!!
2014-01-06 1:21 PM

User image

I got my Tri Bike shortly after my first Tri... wow what a difference!! I had never ridden with click in pedals and I have busted my butt many times falling over trying to get my feet unclicked!! My bike is named *The Cat in the Hat* aka CITH.... He is a Kestrel. all carbon fiber and weighs almost nothing :~)

(376767_3771453718141_1464090455_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
376767_3771453718141_1464090455_n.jpg (108KB - 5 downloads)
2014-01-06 5:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Pixiedustlady

I got my Tri Bike shortly after my first Tri... wow what a difference!! I had never ridden with click in pedals and I have busted my butt many times falling over trying to get my feet unclicked!! My bike is named *The Cat in the Hat* aka CITH.... He is a Kestrel. all carbon fiber and weighs almost nothing :~)

Darcie, that is one nice looking ride you got there.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2014-01-06 5:16 PM

2014-01-06 5:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Roll Call
I probably should have done this Friday before I left but was not thinking about it. I would like for everyone who intends to be a part of this group to say so in order for me to have an accurate count, and open it back up if there are some that have dropped out. I noticed today that some who posted there intent have not logged back onto BT in over a week. I am hoping that those subjects will be back today or tomorrow since I posted this would roughly be our start date, but sometimes some pop on and off just a quickly. I don't need anything fancy or elaborate, just a simple I'm In will do.
2014-01-06 5:17 PM
in reply to: #4915342

User image

Still in
- Graham
2014-01-06 5:29 PM

User image

New user

Winter Springs, Florida
Hello,

I'm in.

Dayra (dwilling)
2014-01-06 6:18 PM
in reply to: dwilling

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Still here.
2014-01-06 7:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by gojogojo

Set #1 400 yards
Drills

Set #2 100 yards
Endurance

Set #3 50 yards
Endurance

Hi there!! Sorry this is a bit late but hopfully this will help you read your future drills.

So are you asking how to do each drill? And don't worry to much about meeting the time goals they have listed. Some people like myself are just slow swimmers no matter how much pool time is put in. So here is how I'm reading how to do your drills.

Set #1 400 yards
Drills

The Bob, Kick, and breath is to get you comfortable with having your face and head underwater while moving. Take as much time on these as you need to, its a skill that some get quickly and some need a bit more time. What ever works for you is what you should go with.

I"m assuming your pool is a 25 yard per lane. So that will give you 50 yards for one lap which is shallow to deep and back.

So for the first drill you want to do two laps (shallow to deep and back twice) while lying on one side for one lap and the second lap kick on the other side. This drill will help you work on balance and core muscle control.

The second drill your are to do one lenght (shallow to deep) kicking on your back. I like to have my arms up over my head to make myself as long as possible in the water. Then on the way back (deep to shallow) you can swim free style which for most people is the front stroke. Here don't get to caught up in bilateral or unilateral breating. Just work on swimming and getting your stokes rights. Do this drill four times.

Set #2 100 yards
Endurance

Here to don't worrk about the time per yard they have listed. Go at a comfortable pace that does not break your form.

You are to do two laps (shallow to deep and back) and rest for 5 seconds between laps. The purpose of this one is to work on getting your muscles to work continously with little to no rest. That being said if you need more than 5 seconds to keep you from drowning and keep good form take it.

Set #3 50 yards
Endurance

Same thing here, do one lap (shallow to deep and back) at a slightly faster pace. Your working on muscle strength and endurance here.

Hope this helps you!!

Beth

2014-01-06 7:23 PM
in reply to: Hubbie

User image

Veteran
Subject: IM training
Hey group! Started my second week of IM training with a run stuck on the dreadmill. Its -50 with the wind going at almost 30 miles/hr. Even I don't have enough cloths in my closet to keep me warm in those temps and wind.

Did several bench mark tests last week. Found I can still swim one mile with not to much of a problem. Be it much slower than I was at six months ago but I can still do it. Also did my longest trainer ride of the winter of just under two hours. Found that even with the Spinervals DVD's and my personal music going bordom will be my biggest enemy to combat. On the running front keeping myself warm seems to be my biggest challange so far If I can get my fingers, toes, and head warms I'm ok. But at the same time my core can get over warm and I start to sweat causing the new problem of cooling down properly without getting myself to cool and then sick.

I transfered my pool membership to a different swim facility and noticed that my swim times improved. Its the same size pool but I'm thinking that since the water is about 5 degrees cooler than the gym pool I don't get as hot or winded so soon. Just my thoughts on that subject, don't know if its true or not.

Sounds like everyone is starting to come along in their training programs. Best of luck to everyone!!!

Beth
2014-01-06 7:25 PM

User image

, New Jersey
Still in!
2014-01-06 11:26 PM
in reply to: anttam11

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Nice going on the workouts, Beth! I don't know how you manage it in that kind of cold. We're just coming out of a heatwave at the moment (regular days of 35C/95F, and a recent spike to 42C/107F. Too bloody hot!) so keeping cool is much more of a problem here.

2014-01-07 1:58 AM
in reply to: #4925577

User image

I'm still in!
Just got back from 4 days of adventuring down south. Mountain biking, caving, kayaking and climbing...I'm a little stuffed right now
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 33

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24230 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16029 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29433 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18415 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.