BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2013-12-31 11:58 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Subject: RE: Just for Fun
This is Shelly, my new 2013 Specialized Dolce Elite. Her name is turtle themed too as I often analogize myself to going turtle speed.

Looking forward to taking her out for a New Year's Day ride tomorrow!

(2013-Specialized-Dolce-Elite-C2-EQ (1).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
2013-Specialized-Dolce-Elite-C2-EQ (1).jpg (1853KB - 5 downloads)

2013-12-31 12:26 PM

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Open
Hi Todd!

NAME: ckeener / Cindy

STORY: I'm a mid-thirties (just turned 36) momma who's excited to DO THIS! When I turned 30, I decided I wanted to do a spring triathlon. It didn't happen that year for various reasons. This past year, one of my besties trained for and successfully ran in the Philly marathon. Her determination and dedication inspired me. I decided it was time to fulfill that dream of doing a tri.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 13 years with two boys (Ben, age 12 and Drew, age 9) and one awesome Italian Mastiff (Stewart).

CURRENT TRAINING: Three to four runs per week. The 16-week training plan that I chose begins on Monday, January 27th. Hoping to get some swims in before that when the local college pool re-opens after the students come back from winter break.

2013 RACES: Several 5k's.

2014 RACES: I'm registered for the Mount Gretna "Got the Nerve?" triathlon on May 17th. And if I love it as much as I think I will, I'd like to do the sprint tri in Atlantic City

WEIGHTLOSS: I'd like to lose about 15-20 pounds throughout these next five months.

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: Encouragement and a sense of community. I love knowing that I'm not along on this journey!
2013-12-31 12:42 PM

Regular
Libertyville, IL
Todd (and everyone),

My name is Daniel. Would love to join. Not sure if there is room but am hoping there is.
If yes, I will complete the information…

Daniel
2013-12-31 1:02 PM

NAME: Kim

STORY: I have been considering trying to participate in a triathlon for a year now. 2014 will be my year! I have been on a healthier life style change for 3 years now and lost 50 pounds. The last two years I have found a love of Obstacle Races. I have also run 3 half marathons and a few 5Ks.

FAMILY STATUS: 41 year old, married mom to 4 kids (16,15,12 and 9).

CURRENT TRAINING: My newest love right now is Cross Fitting 4-5 days a week.

2013 RACES: Dirty Girl, Mud-stache, Warrior Dash, Indianapolis 500 Mini Marathon, Carmel Half Marathon

2014 RACES: My goal is to participate in the Go Girl Triathlon

WEIGHTLOSS: Hoping to drop about 20 pounds this year.

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: I need help with blending the three parts of triathlon training with my Cross Fit love. Also hoping to find some support and encouragement to carry out my plan.
2013-12-31 1:09 PM
in reply to: Just_Kelly

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Just_Kelly

This is Shelly, my new 2013 Specialized Dolce Elite. Her name is turtle themed too as I often analogize myself to going turtle speed.

Looking forward to taking her out for a New Year's Day ride tomorrow!

That is one sharp looking ride Kelly. I hope the second set of answers I gave you was more what you were looking for. Also if you have not already done so or set it up, I would suggest that you go for a bike fitting and have them adjust everything to fit you. A proper fit ensures you get the most out of your bike and minimizes injuries and wear on your body.
2013-12-31 1:12 PM
in reply to: ckeener

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ckeener

Hi Todd!

NAME: ckeener / Cindy

STORY: I'm a mid-thirties (just turned 36) momma who's excited to DO THIS! When I turned 30, I decided I wanted to do a spring triathlon. It didn't happen that year for various reasons. This past year, one of my besties trained for and successfully ran in the Philly marathon. Her determination and dedication inspired me. I decided it was time to fulfill that dream of doing a tri.

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: Encouragement and a sense of community. I love knowing that I'm not along on this journey!

Welcome to the Turtle Community Cindy. You know what it takes, how to get there, and now have a group to help you along the way.

2013-12-31 1:34 PM
in reply to: 0

Grand Junction, Colorado
NAME: Mark

STORY: 40 years old, started running in 2010 after a pretty sedentary lifestyle. Started with C25K and worked my way up to completing my first full marathon this year right after my 40th birthday. Using Jeff Galloway's run walk run method in my running. Very much enjoy running (never thought I'd say that 3 years ago) and looking to expand into a triathlon next. Have just joined a gym in the last few months that offers a small pool, so I can start focusing on the swim. While I'm certainly no swimmer, I can swim but expect this to be the biggest challenge. I'm just starting to look into Terry Laughlin's Total Immersion info to help. As for cycling, I'll likely be using my cheap Schwinn Hybrid bike for this first go round. Will look to upgrading once I know if it's something I'll stick with. Of course, much of my training this winter will be indoors since I'm in Colorado. Side note, I'm originally from Lake Charles, LA and lived in Deer Park, TX for 6 years before moving to GJ. Have lots of family around Austin, Houston, Lufkin, Lake Charles, so I'm certainly familiar with the area.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 18 years, 2 kids (13 yo daughter and 9 yo son). Wife has recently started going to the gym with me too (yay!). I do find it a challenge to balance my training and family so I try to do it when it won't affect them, but that often means I'm not getting enough sleep, etc.

CURRENT TRAINING: Pretty much only running so far with some short stationary bike rides at the gym. Will start swim training soon.

2013 RACES: First Full Marathon, no triathlons ever

2014 RACES: HITS Triathlon Grand Junction (http://www.hitstriathlonseries.com/grand-junction-co/). Would like to aim for Olympic distance for this one. Not registered yet but need to decide by 1/13 to beat the price hike. Also hope to do at least one half marathon.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm still down 40 lbs from when I started my journey 3 years ago, but have crept back up from my low. Would like to drop 20lbs.

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: Like minded and like goaled people to relate to. Also hope to get good input from other first timers and veterans about the basics (clothes, gear, training tips, etc). Thanks for hosting, Todd!

Edited by mbrassette 2013-12-31 1:34 PM
2013-12-31 1:38 PM
in reply to: longrun26

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by longrun26

Todd (and everyone),

My name is Daniel. Would love to join. Not sure if there is room but am hoping there is.
If yes, I will complete the information…

Daniel

Heck ya we got room for you Daniel. Come on in and grab a shell.
2013-12-31 1:41 PM
in reply to: IndyEinstein

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by IndyEinstein

NAME: Kim

STORY: I have been considering trying to participate in a triathlon for a year now. 2014 will be my year! I have been on a healthier life style change for 3 years now and lost 50 pounds. The last two years I have found a love of Obstacle Races. I have also run 3 half marathons and a few 5Ks.

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: I need help with blending the three parts of triathlon training with my Cross Fit love. Also hoping to find some support and encouragement to carry out my plan.

Welcome to the group Kim and congrats on the healthier lifestyle and serious weight lose. You sound like you should have a pretty good base so like you said you just need to blend everything.
2013-12-31 1:46 PM
in reply to: mbrassette

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mbrassette

NAME: Mark

STORY: 40 years old, started running in 2010 after a pretty sedentary lifestyle. Started with C25K and worked my way up to completing my first full marathon this year right after my 40th birthday. Using Jeff Galloway's run walk run method in my running. Very much enjoy running (never thought I'd say that 3 years ago) and looking to expand into a triathlon next. Have just joined a gym in the last few months that offers a small pool, so I can start focusing on the swim. While I'm certainly no swimmer, I can swim but expect this to be the biggest challenge. I'm just starting to look into Terry Laughlin's Total Immersion info to help. As for cycling, I'll likely be using my cheap Schwinn Hybrid bike for this first go round. Will look to upgrading once I know if it's something I'll stick with. Of course, much of my training this winter will be indoors since I'm in Colorado. Side note, I'm originally from Lake Charles, LA and lived in Deer Park, TX for 6 years before moving to GJ. Have lots of family around Austin, Houston, Lufkin, Lake Charles, so I'm certainly familiar with the area.

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: Like minded and like goaled people to relate to. Also hope to get good input from other first timers and veterans about the basics (clothes, gear, training tips, etc). Thanks for hosting, Todd!

Welcome to the group Mark and Triathlon. Galloway's run walk I think is a great way to get people into running safely and aids them greatly in accomplishing their goals. Don't worry about the bike issue you will be just fine with a Hybrid. My wife would not really let me spend money on a bike before she could see that this was not a fad for me. The other plus to using a Hybrid or Mountain bike is that when you get a road bike or Tri bike the difference is more noticeable.
2013-12-31 2:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maybe one or two more and then I have to close it up so the group does not get to big.

2013-12-31 4:00 PM

User image

Hi Todd

I'd like to join this group. My user name is Aussie Turtle so I think we'd be a good match.

NAME: Rod (Aussie Turtle)

STORY: I'm 56 years old, semi retired and looking to use some of the time I now have available to get fit. I've regularly worked 12 hour days sitting behind a desk for the last 20 years with little time for any exercise except a lunchtime walk. I've carried extra weight for over 20 years.

In 2013 I took up cycling and ride about 50 kms a week. I've become interested in trialthlon after watching half ironman and ironman events and want to complete a Beginner Triathlon some time this year. I really am starting out at base level as I can swim 35 metres and run 400 metres without stopping. I can however ride my bike all day if I want to and I am close to maintaining my age group race pace over 8 - 10 kms.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 30+ years with 2 adult sons who live at home (when they're not travelling around the world)

CURRENT TRAINING: My current training is best described as spasmodic. Sometimes life gets in the way of my training. Over the last month I walk/ jog/run for an hour 4-5 times a week, ride my bike 20-25 kms twice a week and swim for about 30 minutes a week although a lot of this time is spent catching my breath. I've started stretching too.

I'm planning to make traing my #1 priority this year and include some weight training also.

2013 RACES: Not a tri event but I did a 100km charity bike ride

2014 RACES: I'd like to enter a beginner event as soon as I can swim 200m - 300m confidently

WEIGHTLOSS: I need to loose 20 kg and I'm now watching what I eat and quantity sizes. Carrying the extra 20 kg around is like carrying a bag of cement everywhere. Try swimming or running while carrying a bag of cement!!!

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: I looking to share experiences a get some guidance and tips to help me become a triathlete. I think that by joining the group it will make me hold myself more accountable to train
2013-12-31 4:21 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Hi Todd

I'd like to join this group. My user name is Aussie Turtle so I think we'd be a good match.

NAME: Rod (Aussie Turtle)

STORY: I'm 56 years old, semi retired and looking to use some of the time I now have available to get fit. I've regularly worked 12 hour days sitting behind a desk for the last 20 years with little time for any exercise except a lunchtime walk. I've carried extra weight for over 20 years.

In 2013 I took up cycling and ride about 50 kms a week. I've become interested in trialthlon after watching half ironman and ironman events and want to complete a Beginner Triathlon some time this year. I really am starting out at base level as I can swim 35 metres and run 400 metres without stopping. I can however ride my bike all day if I want to and I am close to maintaining my age group race pace over 8 - 10 kms.

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: I looking to share experiences a get some guidance and tips to help me become a triathlete. I think that by joining the group it will make me hold myself more accountable to train

Welcome to the group Rod and your User name is tailor made for this group. The swim and run distance will come with practice, time, and your improved health as you go along. I have noticed over my four or so years of doing this that I still seem to pay at times for my years of smoking.
2013-12-31 4:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alright, I have closed the group at this time due to us having 21 signed up, plus some Turtles from the last group. If some drop out or decide to no longer participate (I CERTAINLY HOPE NOT) then I will reopen it for some others to get in and fill the vacated spots.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2013-12-31 4:30 PM
2013-12-31 5:34 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Wow, everyone, looks like there's a great group forming!

I was in Todd's group last season and loved it. Todd's guidance was always supportive and helpful, and seemed to attract members who all enjoyed helping each other and offering support. As the only Aussie I was a little out of the time loop (off/pre-season for me, and posting at odd times of day) but it all worked fine.  

My backstory is similar to a lot of you: staring down the barrel of encroaching middle age, deciding to do something about it, and discovering just how much fun it can be. Now I have  a sprint tri, a half marathon, and numerous enticer tris, 5k runs etc under my belt and looking for more. I have been working towards a 3/4 distance tri in Feb but sidelined myself a few days ago with a calf strain so I think that's off the calendar now. 

So hi to everyone in the group, special greetings to the Aussie members, and I'll be dropping in and out to chat soon. Oh! HAPPY NEW YEAR! 

Edited by Taringa 2013-12-31 5:35 PM
2013-12-31 6:24 PM

Regular
Libertyville, IL
Todd and Tri Turtles 2…
Daniel here, I am excited to be in the group.

NAME: Daniel - longrun26

STORY: I am a 54 year old male living 30 miles north of Chicago. I took an early retirement from my corporate career as Director of Leadership and Employee Development eight years ago and now teach 7th grade literature and language arts. I love my new career. Before my transition into education I had run 12 marathons (longrun26) and completed 8 sprint triathlons. Although I have kept active my weight has gone up about 5 pounds a year since my career change and I now weigh 255. Ouch! But now I have it out there.

This group looks wonderful. New bikes, cross fitters and very motivated new friends to hold us accountable. I am excited to be a part of the group. I have spent the past year simplifying my life and studying nutrition. As such, I lean toward the Paleo and Primal Blueprint lifestyles. No processed foods or sugar. I love to cook and plan the meals.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 30 years this June. My wife is fit and we have trained and run many marathons together. She was a half mile from the finish in Boston last April when the explosions went off and as a result had her first ever DNF in a race. She is returning this year to finish! My two sons are 26 & 22. The oldest is back home in graduate school (to become a 7th grade lit/la teacher!) and working as a 2nd grade aid in my school. He is into CrossFit big time and plays basketball regularly. My youngest son is a senior in college (IL State) in Anthropology - hence Paleo… He is ripped and works out daily with cardio and weights. I am going to get back to my very healthy 215 and join them in all activities.

CURRENT TRAINING: Open. Have let my CrossFit and gym membership expire and reevaluating what to do. I follow the Power 90 and P90X tapes - love them and do body weight exercises (squats, push-ups…) regularly. Nutrition is so important. Looking at this group to fine tune my workouts. Lots of snow here. No biking for a while but lots of snow activities (snow shoes, cross country skiing…)

2013 RACES: None

2014 RACES: March 8K

WEIGHTLOSS: Current weight is 255 - my heaviest ever. My blood work all just came back and most is in the excellent range! My doctor says I am the healthiest obese patient he has ever had. Time to change it up and drop the weight. My dream goal is to weigh 199.

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: Friendship. A kick in the . Accountability. New ideas for workouts, nutrition and race goals.

Edited by longrun26 2014-01-01 10:57 AM

2014-01-01 1:04 AM
in reply to: Missundaztood

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by Missundaztood NAME: Sarah STORY: I am 33, have never ridden a bike, don't swim, have done a few 5km fun runs and 2014 is my year to challenge myself and get into triathlons. FAMILY STATUS: I have been married for 11 years in jan 2014 CURRENT TRAINING: I am a PT so strength train regularly. My husband bought me a carbon specialized road bike and I am learning to ride. So I am trying to get about 10km in per day. I am starting to train with tri alliance here in Queensland in jan where I will learn to swim. 2013 RACES: nil 2014 RACES: first tri will be 8th feb at Bribie Tri WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: to be in a group of like minded people where I can ask all the questions and also be inspired by everyone's stories.

I just re-read the thread and must have missed your post. I caught the word "Bribie" this time round! I've done the Bribie event a couple of times now; an enticer last year and the short sprint earlier this season. I was hoping to make the 3/4 length course in Feb but pushed the training too hard, didn't listen to my body's warning signs, and now I'm out with a pulled calf. Might manage the short course or the swim though .

It's a lovely course and so friendly and relaxed. The swim is usually set to go with the tide and is current-assisted so most of the time you can just float along. Last time there were a few jellyfish about (I caught two, they sting a bit). If you're doing the enticer, the bike course usually runs straight along the foreshore with a turn at either end and a bit of a small rise in the middle. The run leg is mostly shady, flat, with a drinks station about halfway out. The fourth leg? There's oranges, bananas, water, and a pub across the road .

Welcome to the sport, fellow Queenslander! Enjoy the ride 

2014-01-01 6:51 AM

User image

New user

Hi Todd and everyone,
I have started!!! I went to the gym today and have stared the Beginner Triathlon Program which I found on this site. I also did a 4km brisk walk this evening. As I am on holidays I am going to hit the gym again tomorrow and Friday. I'll take Saturday as my rest day before I do three more gym workouts. The aim for the week is to complete a workout on 6 days with one rest day. I will also try and supplement this with a brisk walk each day I work out and increase the distance up to 5km. As the Beginner Triathlon Program is only 3 days per week I am going to do each day twice in the week to make the 6 days for the week. After that I will reassess leading into week 2.
At some time in the next week I am hoping my first road bike will be ready to pick up. Its a Cannondale Synapse 105 6. Once I have it I will mix up riding and alternate with my walk (which will lead to a walk/run program) after the first week.
The longest journey starts with a single step (or workout).
Happy training turtles.
Michael.
2014-01-01 2:43 PM

User image

New user

Winter Springs, Florida
Congratulations on your new bike..... Looks great !
2014-01-01 3:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: RE: Picking Up Bike Today
Originally posted by Just_Kelly

Any tips really!

What type of peddles should I start out with?

How do I meet bikers who are newbie friendly to teach me skills IRL?

What length rides are appropriate for a beginner?

What type of peddles should I start out with?
I used my standard pedals for the first few months. I was too scared to go clipless so I switched to COMBO pedals. Combo pedals on one side is platform (regular) pedals, the other side is clip less. You will need bike shoes with cleats to ride the clip less side. It gave me the option of wearing sneakers or bike shoes. Combo pedals fit SPD cleats so my bike shoes can also be used in spin class as the cleats clips into almost all spin bikes.

How do I meet bikers who are newbie friendly to teach me skills IRL?
Local bike club or bike shop. My bike shop have weekly supported rides every weekend.

What length rides are appropriate for a beginner?
Depends on you. I rode paved trails away from traffic for 5 miles at a time and got up to 20 miles. Take your time.

Just as an FYI, I never learned to ride a bike as a kid. I learned to ride in 2008 when a local bike club member gave me lessons after work.
2014-01-01 7:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Happy New Year and Kickoff is Close
I first wanted to wish all the Turtles and their loved ones a Happy New Year. Second, I just wanted to post a reminder that I will be away from the Computer at deer camp until Sunday Night. We will get everything Offically Kicked Off on Monday, so start cleaning your shells and getting your running / cycling shoes ready. We are going to have a great group and will work great together to encourage, support, and push one another.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2014-01-01 7:04 PM

(New year Turtle.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
New year Turtle.bmp (122KB - 3 downloads)

2014-01-02 12:26 PM
in reply to: dwilling

User image

Thanks!
2014-01-02 10:48 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed at the Moment
What activities has everyone got for the weekend? Any tri training?

I'm heading down south to go mountain biking and climbing (wishing the work day would hurry up so i can head off!).

Whatever you're up to I hope its fun, have a great weekend
2014-01-03 9:54 AM
in reply to: Mikey73

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay
Aloha and well done you!

Hope to be up there with you real soon.
2014-01-03 12:48 PM
in reply to: Grilledmonkey

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed at the Moment
Originally posted by Grilledmonkey

What activities has everyone got for the weekend? Any tri training?

I'm heading down south to go mountain biking and climbing (wishing the work day would hurry up so i can head off!).

Whatever you're up to I hope its fun, have a great weekend

Getting back to consistency in my swimming.

Sat - Swim at 6am, kid basketball at 9am, go to work, 2nd kid basketball at 3pm, cook dinner, winter lacrosse game at 7pm
Sun - Run at 6:30, home to make breakfast, church at 10:30, make dinner, clean and prep dinner for the week, 2nd kid winter lacrosse game at 7p.

Plus, I just signed up for Iron Girl Triathlon and need to find a training plan. The triathlon is two weeks after my duathlon.
Probably train on the duathlon course because it has a lot less traffic and more challenging.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 33

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24143 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15945 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29275 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18326 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.