General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding Sugarloaf Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-30 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Subject: Riding Sugarloaf

If you are going to go out and ride in the Sugarloaf/Buckhill area where would you park? Or is there a short cut from the Lake out to that area? 

2013-12-30 3:39 PM
in reply to: tri/tbay

User image

Melbourne, Florida
Subject: RE: Riding Sugarloaf

I park at Waterfront Park on the south end of Lake Minneola. It's about 8 miles from the climb at Sugarloaf. The shortest route is to ride along the lake (counterclockwise) and get on US 27 north. Stay on US 27 until CR 561. This will go under the Turnpike and take you to Sugarloaf Road. It's about 2 miles from the Turnpike. It'll be a long road on your right .

2013-12-31 8:52 AM
in reply to: vertseven

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by vertseven

I park at Waterfront Park on the south end of Lake Minneola. It's about 8 miles from the climb at Sugarloaf. The shortest route is to ride along the lake (counterclockwise) and get on US 27 north. Stay on US 27 until CR 561. This will go under the Turnpike and take you to Sugarloaf Road. It's about 2 miles from the Turnpike. It'll be a long road on your right .

This is where I park too.

2014-01-02 2:54 PM
in reply to: tri/tbay

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

How far are you planning to ride?  I have some routes mapped here with the BT route manager from the town Montverde.  Here's a 30 miler that hits several of the thigh busters.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=128995 

2014-01-02 4:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
I ride Sugarloaf and Buckhill a lot - live on the way there from Lake Minneola. I would do my best to stay away from US 27. If you are going to park at the Lake, following the GFT route around the lake to Jalarmy/Cherry Lake road and up SR19 to left on Route 455. There is good shoulder and it is a little safer I think. The GFT route can be found via the Great Floridian website. Each loop is about 37-38 mile and includes lots of hills. You can see on the map where Buckhill is and it is easy to incorporate into the loop, adding 4 nice rolling hills and a few more miles.

In addition, if you continue on SR19 past 455 you will find Dewey Robbins road on the left - this is a great addition of rolling hills out and back if you are in need of further punishment. Follow till it dead ends on US 27 and then double back (usually into a headwind) to SR 19, then turn right and go back to pick up 455.

There is a "shortcut" that involves much less travelled roads that goes up via Grassy Lake Road, but is a little complicated to describe. You can then choose to go to the steeper climb or you can end up coming up the back side of Sugarloaf - less steep, but there are plenty of rollers before you get there.

If you decide just to punish yourself with hill repeats, I usually see cars parked on the grass at the bottom of Sugarloaf, as well as at the end of Sugarloaf Road where it hits 561A. Also, lots of folks seem to park in the grass at the South end of Buckhill where it hits Tunpike Road. Can't vouch for the legality or safety, but almost always cars there on Sat/Sun.

Hope that helps!

Edited by exnavydoc 2014-01-02 4:20 PM
2014-01-03 5:53 AM
in reply to: exnavydoc

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Originally posted by exnavydoc I ride Sugarloaf and Buckhill a lot - live on the way there from Lake Minneola. I would do my best to stay away from US 27. If you are going to park at the Lake, following the GFT route around the lake to Jalarmy/Cherry Lake road and up SR19 to left on Route 455. There is good shoulder and it is a little safer I think. The GFT route can be found via the Great Floridian website. Each loop is about 37-38 mile and includes lots of hills. You can see on the map where Buckhill is and it is easy to incorporate into the loop, adding 4 nice rolling hills and a few more miles. In addition, if you continue on SR19 past 455 you will find Dewey Robbins road on the left - this is a great addition of rolling hills out and back if you are in need of further punishment. Follow till it dead ends on US 27 and then double back (usually into a headwind) to SR 19, then turn right and go back to pick up 455. There is a "shortcut" that involves much less travelled roads that goes up via Grassy Lake Road, but is a little complicated to describe. You can then choose to go to the steeper climb or you can end up coming up the back side of Sugarloaf - less steep, but there are plenty of rollers before you get there. If you decide just to punish yourself with hill repeats, I usually see cars parked on the grass at the bottom of Sugarloaf, as well as at the end of Sugarloaf Road where it hits 561A. Also, lots of folks seem to park in the grass at the South end of Buckhill where it hits Tunpike Road. Can't vouch for the legality or safety, but almost always cars there on Sat/Sun. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the replies, staying off of 27 sounds good to me. I'm really wanting to take my daughter out to Sugarloaf and let her see it ride it or walk it I'm not sure what she will do. I don't really intend to do a long ride just want her to know what she'll have to do in March. And thanks for the headsup on safety if we decide to just go and park out in the Sugarloaf area, I've had a break in before that sucked.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding Sugarloaf Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wellington places to ride, Group rides, etc.

Started by The Cube
Views: 670 Posts: 3

2012-09-18 6:14 AM cpsdad

North Port swims and/or group rides or ride routes

Started by frm-fat-2<fat
Views: 1266 Posts: 3

2012-07-04 7:09 PM frm-fat-2<fat

Assault on Sugarloaf supported ride Sept. 13th

Started by D-Smoke
Views: 1598 Posts: 10

2009-09-18 10:28 PM betsy

'Assault on Sugarloaf' 30-56-112 mile rides, Sept 14th Pages: 1 2

Started by Donto
Views: 5123 Posts: 44

2008-09-19 4:07 PM Donto

FL HIM "SugarLoaf" Ride

Started by flyinfree
Views: 652 Posts: 1

2007-09-29 1:24 PM flyinfree
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : November 6, 2006
author : Terese Luikens
Over this next month I will be learning more about my bike each time I take it out to ride. I want to take full advantage of what it has to offer.

date : June 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
A few months back I wrote an article about buying your next bike. Well now I have done it and wish to share my experience and choice with you.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : AMSSM
I read an article that this type of pain comes from straining the neck, especially from riding a road bike. What can you tell me about this type of injury?