Other Resources The Political Joe » Unemployment and Participation Rate Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-02-12 9:05 AM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Regular
Madrid
Subject: RE: Unemployment and Participation Rate
Good points. Developmental economics 101- People have to have a stake in the system- No stake in making things work = don't care.

2014-02-12 11:00 PM
in reply to: velocomp

Park Ridge
Subject: RE: Unemployment and Participation Rate
Originally posted by velocomp

Originally posted by ried0428 pumpkin31, you are saying we need to suck less. How do we suck? I realize this country isn’t perfect, but can you explain how we suck? If you said, we’re good, but we could do better, I’d agree with you. But you ARE saying we suck somewhat, (not that we totally suck), but you’re saying it nonetheless. How so, and what can we do to suck less? As for those gov’t #’s:I sincerely doubt too many people are in a position to retire with the lifestyle you are used to (except maybe those people fortunate enough to have a government pension). Everything I’ve read says the great majority of Americans have not saved enough money for retirement, so I’d say those who are retiring are likely doing so due to the aforementioned weakness in the job market. In that old WHO study, the US is ranked 37th in HealthCare. I don’t know one person who has ever left the US to go to another country get major health care. I realize this is anecdotal, but I’m not leaving the US because of its healthcare shortcomings. I do agree though, that our Math and Reading scores are not what they should be. But on the other hand, I feel like a lot of the world’s innovation(s) come out of this country, and we’re still a world leader in a lot of areas, so we must be doing something right. This also, is anecdotal, fwiw.

Just to touch on a few points here.  Yes we have been sucking.  The number of people on food stamps, wellfare and other entitlements has risen dramatically.  That sucks.

A lot of advances come out of our country true, but when fewer people are working and so many people are unemployed that means that only the best and brightest are succeeding.  That sucks.

Healthcare, while you may not know people that leave this country for healthcare, there have been many articles and even 60 minutes stories on people going elsewhere for healthcare and dental work because of costs.  That sucks.

We need to teach these people to fish.  Teach them the drive to succeed. And stop pampering the "lazy".  Yes, I know people get upset when we use the term lazy, but it is early and I didn't want to think of an alternative.  Guess I'm lazy too.  But at least I work hard, have a good job and am accountable for myself.  Wish we all could be that way...

It is late and I don't feel like laying out all my thoughts on this subject but the above from velocomp pretty much sums things up for me. Entitlements, too much misguided government regulation, soaring public debt, on and on. In my last post I professed my belief in American Exceptionalism but it seems less so in the last few years. I think our banking system needs to suck less, as does our government(both republicans and democrats are responsible for this) these are just a couple of things that I think really suck. Some things that don't suck at all are the many American citizens that are innovative, smart, and hard working. I think if we don't get our crap together in the next few years I will be posting we suck, not we need to suck less. How many of you, if you were magically became a citizen of Spain or Argentina would argue the point that as a country(Spain/Argentina) we need to suck less? On our current trajectory in a few years, maybe 10 maybe 50 years, this is where we will find ourselves if we do not change. So again, IMO I think we need to, on the margins start sucking less. Good night everyone
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Unemployment and Participation Rate Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS EXTENSION SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT GO?

Started by strykergt
Views: 1590 Posts: 11

2014-01-14 8:41 PM bootygirl

Suicide Rate Rises as Economy Stresses Middle-Age America

Started by DanielG
Views: 1594 Posts: 14

2013-05-03 1:33 PM KateTri1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 31, 2011
author : Curt Chesney
comments : 0
Core temperature, hydration, liquid absorption and sweat rates: how they affect racing in the heat

date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.
date : April 10, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Most of us have gone up and down in weight so often that we have lost count. What we are looking for is a steady loss of weight which often is not found.

date : March 13, 2005
author : mikericci
Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.
date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 0
I started the process with clippers on my chest. Halfway through the process I realized that this shaving plan was probably not the brightest idea I have ever had in my life.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.