Other Resources The Political Joe » Want to know how polarized we are? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-01-14 4:14 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: Want to know how polarized we are?

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Originally posted by DanielG

Originally posted by DanielG I'm not sure how much more they could have covered it. Retired cop arrested in fatal Florida theater shooting Fox News-1 hour ago A retired police officer allegedly shot two people, one fatally, during a cell phone dispute inside a Florida movie theater Monday, authorities ... Deadly Movie Theater Shooting In Florida FOX News Radio-13 hours ago A man is dead and a woman wounded following a shooting inside a movie theater in the Tampa suburb of Wesley Chapel. It started because ... Sheriff's office: 2 people shot inside Tampa Bay area movie theater ... Fox News-15 hours ago The Pasco County Sheriff's Office reports that the shooting occurred Monday at The Grove 16 Theater in Wesley Chapel, north of Tampa. Authorities: 2 people shot, 1 fatally, at Fla. movie theater amid ... Fox News-14 hours ago Authorities say a man has been arrested on suspicion of shooting two ... fatally — after an argument over cell phone use at a Florida theater.

I'm sure they're on it now....my post was from last night and the story was the headline on CNN.com for hours before Foxnews.com had anything.  I've read enough of both sites to be used to it, which is why I read both sites, but this was pretty much a no brainer.

That very question is why I left the times in the pull down I got. 14-16 hours prior to my 6:00 AM post was 2:00-4:00 the previous afternoon. Fox had it on the site. May not have been in the front page or front news page and I hope it wasn't until the various sites got some details about it. I read as many English news sites as i can get my paws on just to see who carries what and where each cuts the story, what each leaves out from the story and it's amusing to see the various takes on the same story. Oh, here's a list of the news sites I have spiders for: http://ankylosaur.com/newspaperoutput.html

Maybe at midnight last night, while I was searching for it, foxnews.com was doing site maintenance.  

You know we're on the same page.....I just found it funny last night...and it still is.  CNN.com is still running it as their top story, it's pretty far down on foxnews.com

Yeah, I know we are. Thing is, it's on myfox Tampa Bay on front page along with the originally posted 1:51 PM yesterday tag on it. I believe they're leaving it as a local thing rather than pushing it nationally. I still say it'll die down within a day or so rather than being front page for a week or more if it were Joe Citizen. Cop busted for Murder II, that's a story, though.

Apparently that knucklehead was also the head of security at Busch's Garden for awhile too?   Geez......he lost his mind.

It wasn't even during the movie! The theatre was still showing previews. I get annoyed by people using their phone in movie theatres too, but I cut people a little slack if the actual movie hasn't started yet. As far as national news goes, you may be right that it dies down since it's not Joe Citzen, but, OTOH, it sort of flies in the face of the common pro-gun-rights claim that " the only people you have to worry about having guns are criminals." Here's a career law enforcement officer, and, presumably a legal gun owner, who flew off the handle for ten seconds over something trivial and an unarmed person is dead. It's obviously an isolated incident-- one guy who lost his mind, and shouldn't really be extrapolated out to the millions of other gun owners, but that doesn't mean it can't be spun that way.

Sometimes the only difference between a cop and a street thug is the badge. 

The real take away here is that you need to be armed yourself if you want to text in a movie theater, oh and you need to practice your quick draw.

Gratuitous smiley to prove my post is facetious

Which part?  Because, you know, sometimes the only difference between facetious and a thug are the words.

Oh I am definitely a thug, too many black scary... ahem... "items". Add that with being facetious and you best lock your doors at night cuz I be rollin hard.

2014-01-14 4:20 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Originally posted by DanielG I'm not sure how much more they could have covered it. Retired cop arrested in fatal Florida theater shooting Fox News-1 hour ago A retired police officer allegedly shot two people, one fatally, during a cell phone dispute inside a Florida movie theater Monday, authorities ... Deadly Movie Theater Shooting In Florida FOX News Radio-13 hours ago A man is dead and a woman wounded following a shooting inside a movie theater in the Tampa suburb of Wesley Chapel. It started because ... Sheriff's office: 2 people shot inside Tampa Bay area movie theater ... Fox News-15 hours ago The Pasco County Sheriff's Office reports that the shooting occurred Monday at The Grove 16 Theater in Wesley Chapel, north of Tampa. Authorities: 2 people shot, 1 fatally, at Fla. movie theater amid ... Fox News-14 hours ago Authorities say a man has been arrested on suspicion of shooting two ... fatally — after an argument over cell phone use at a Florida theater.

I'm sure they're on it now....my post was from last night and the story was the headline on CNN.com for hours before Foxnews.com had anything.  I've read enough of both sites to be used to it, which is why I read both sites, but this was pretty much a no brainer.

That very question is why I left the times in the pull down I got. 14-16 hours prior to my 6:00 AM post was 2:00-4:00 the previous afternoon. Fox had it on the site. May not have been in the front page or front news page and I hope it wasn't until the various sites got some details about it. I read as many English news sites as i can get my paws on just to see who carries what and where each cuts the story, what each leaves out from the story and it's amusing to see the various takes on the same story. Oh, here's a list of the news sites I have spiders for: http://ankylosaur.com/newspaperoutput.html

Maybe at midnight last night, while I was searching for it, foxnews.com was doing site maintenance.  

You know we're on the same page.....I just found it funny last night...and it still is.  CNN.com is still running it as their top story, it's pretty far down on foxnews.com

Yeah, I know we are. Thing is, it's on myfox Tampa Bay on front page along with the originally posted 1:51 PM yesterday tag on it. I believe they're leaving it as a local thing rather than pushing it nationally. I still say it'll die down within a day or so rather than being front page for a week or more if it were Joe Citizen. Cop busted for Murder II, that's a story, though.

Apparently that knucklehead was also the head of security at Busch's Garden for awhile too?   Geez......he lost his mind.

It wasn't even during the movie! The theatre was still showing previews. I get annoyed by people using their phone in movie theatres too, but I cut people a little slack if the actual movie hasn't started yet. As far as national news goes, you may be right that it dies down since it's not Joe Citzen, but, OTOH, it sort of flies in the face of the common pro-gun-rights claim that " the only people you have to worry about having guns are criminals." Here's a career law enforcement officer, and, presumably a legal gun owner, who flew off the handle for ten seconds over something trivial and an unarmed person is dead. It's obviously an isolated incident-- one guy who lost his mind, and shouldn't really be extrapolated out to the millions of other gun owners, but that doesn't mean it can't be spun that way.

Sometimes the only difference between a cop and a street thug is the badge. 

The real take away here is that you need to be armed yourself if you want to text in a movie theater, oh and you need to practice your quick draw.

Gratuitous smiley to prove my post is facetious

Which part?  Because, you know, sometimes the only difference between facetious and a thug are the words.

Oh I am definitely a thug, too many black scary... ahem... "items". Add that with being facetious and you best lock your doors at night cuz I be rollin hard.

You best check yourself......I've got popcorn.

2014-01-14 4:24 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I think you mean you have a deadly weapon.

I am deathly allergic to popcorn and will defend myself if need be.

Sides, these young whippersnappers and their fancy new fangled cell phones need to be taught a lesson. 

2014-01-14 4:32 PM

User image

Pro

Sides, these young whippersnappers and their fancy new fangled cell phones need to be taught a lesson. 

HA!!!  Can you imagine two adults escalating that to the point where someone gets shot?........much less throws popcorn at the other guy?  LIke Daniel said, we don't know the full story, but I bet no matter which version ends up coming out it's as least as stupid as any other version could be. 

2014-01-14 4:58 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

HA!!!  Can you imagine two adults escalating that to the point where someone gets shot?........much less throws popcorn at the other guy?  LIke Daniel said, we don't know the full story, but I bet no matter which version ends up coming out it's as least as stupid as any other version could be. 

About as crazy as spending $25 so you can sit in a dirty theater with a bunch of self entitled texters and armed thugs. 

I'll take my plasma and surround sound at home any day. 

Yeah, absolutely incredible that neither one of them could let it go. From the old guy actually bothering him about the texting to the "what, did you go tattle on me" when he got back. Would be interesting to see the transcript of that fight.

2014-01-14 5:09 PM

User image

Elite

About as crazy as spending $25 so you can sit in a dirty theater with a bunch of self entitled texters and armed thugs. 

Yeah, absolutely incredible that neither one of them could let it go. From the old guy actually bothering him about the texting to the "what, did you go tattle on me" when he got back. Would be interesting to see the transcript of that fight.

People will never cease to amaze me at how stupid they are capable of being. No possible story can explain a guy dying at the hands of a retired cop over texting in a theater before the movie started. Just none. Regardless of how belligerent or disrespectful the texter was... I can't comprehend shooting a guy that YOU are voluntarily in an argument with. 

As far as you OP LB, ya... turn on FOX news and it is Obama scandal after scandal and Obamacare.... and not a mention of it on any other station... same thing. We are most certainly divided, and the newsertainment industry gobbles up ad revenue playing to it. 

2014-01-14 5:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by powerman

People will never cease to amaze me at how stupid they are capable of being. No possible story can explain a guy dying at the hands of a retired cop over texting in a theater before the movie started. Just none. Regardless of how belligerent or disrespectful the texter was... I can't comprehend shooting a guy that YOU are voluntarily in an argument with. 

As far as you OP LB, ya... turn on FOX news and it is Obama scandal after scandal and Obamacare.... and not a mention of it on any other station... same thing. We are most certainly divided, and the newsertainment industry gobbles up ad revenue playing to it. 

On the way home tonight some lunatic starts honking, tailgating, and flashing his lights at me.......for the life of me I don't know what I did to make the person crazy (couldn't tell if it was a man or woman).  I guess they wanted me to pull over so we could have a showdown over whatever transgression I committed....LMAO.  This went on for about 5 miles......and the whole time I'm thinking to myself.....how nuts does this person have to be?  I'm in an unmarked and basically undercover police car.....I have a pistol, a shotgun, a bullet proof vest, and a cup of coffee and 2 pieces of beef jerky.....I could probably hole up and war with them for a few days. HAHAHAHA!!! 

They finally turned off a few miles from my home......close enough that I started thinking heading there wouldn't be a good idea.  I'm glad they got tired.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-01-14 5:59 PM
2014-01-14 8:04 PM

User image

Elite

On the way home tonight some lunatic starts honking, tailgating, and flashing his lights at me.......for the life of me I don't know what I did to make the person crazy (couldn't tell if it was a man or woman).  I guess they wanted me to pull over so we could have a showdown over whatever transgression I committed....LMAO.  This went on for about 5 miles......and the whole time I'm thinking to myself.....how nuts does this person have to be?  I'm in an unmarked and basically undercover police car.....I have a pistol, a shotgun, a bullet proof vest, and a cup of coffee and 2 pieces of beef jerky.....I could probably hole up and war with them for a few days. HAHAHAHA!!! 

They finally turned off a few miles from my home......close enough that I started thinking heading there wouldn't be a good idea.  I'm glad they got tired.

OK... so how did you not use that as a teachable moment... not throwing them in jail... "but maybe you might want to think about doing something stupid again"?

2014-01-14 8:13 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro

OK... so how did you not use that as a teachable moment... not throwing them in jail... "but maybe you might want to think about doing something stupid again"?

I had to get my kids to swim practice, I really didn't have time for stupid.  But, like I said, I wasn't going home with dumbarse still following me so they were actually pretty close to a learning moment.  I had pretty much already settled on a church parking lot about a mile down the road.  Like I said, I'm happy they got tired or hungry.

The problem with these things.....and I've been forced into them before, is that it would cost me my entire evening.  Sure, there are times you have no choice....but after 27 years I find I have more choices than I used to have......funny how that works. 

2014-01-14 8:34 PM

User image

Elite

I had to get my kids to swim practice, I really didn't have time for stupid.  But, like I said, I wasn't going home with dumbarse still following me so they were actually pretty close to a learning moment.  I had pretty much already settled on a church parking lot about a mile down the road.  Like I said, I'm happy they got tired or hungry.

The problem with these things.....and I've been forced into them before, is that it would cost me my entire evening.  Sure, there are times you have no choice....but after 27 years I find I have more choices than I used to have......funny how that works. 

I sort of figured that. Fixing stupid would be a full time job.

2014-01-14 9:36 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Is it bad that I'm reading this thread in the movie theater?

Hang on a sec, the guy behind me is yelling at me for some reason...

2014-01-14 9:39 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tuwood

Dude......you have at least one gun.

2014-01-14 9:41 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Elite

Originally posted by tuwood

SIR... Step away from the popcorn!!!

2014-01-15 8:54 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
Is it me or is society sliding down the food chain of reasons to shoot someone. Once upon a time it was war, then gang wars, then isolated violence, fast forward and here we are- bang, dead, that'll teach you don't text before I'm getting ready to watch a movie. Whats next ? I didn't like the way the guy looked at me or the color or their shirt or ________ (insert reason here).

Another not so good trend.
2014-01-15 9:11 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Originally posted by gr33n

Is it me or is society sliding down the food chain of reasons to shoot someone. Once upon a time it was war, then gang wars, then isolated violence, fast forward and here we are- bang, dead, that'll teach you don't text before I'm getting ready to watch a movie. Whats next ? I didn't like the way the guy looked at me or the color or their shirt or ________ (insert reason here).

Another not so good trend.

Somethings to mull over that may or may not tie into this.

Perhaps medicine today and recently is good enough that people who would have died previously did not. This throws Darwin out the window and creates an atmosphere where poor traits are passed on to more generations than would have been in the past.

Food allergies, severe anger issues, and other similar traits. They would have been weeded out before the person was of breeding age in previous generations but now with antibiotics, benadryl, and the state of surgery the people live to what we consider standard old age.

Dunno. The other thing that is worthy of two o'clock in the morning contemplation is we are so removed from basic survival that we find stupid stuff to take the place where that burning need was. In some it means dictating to others how to live, in some it's a withdrawal from society, in some it's a feeling of loss of place. We don't have to actually do anything to survive any more, it screws with a culture and that might be part of it.

As I said, dunno.
2014-01-15 9:30 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Regular
Madrid
I think you're right.

2014-01-15 9:32 AM

User image

Pro

I tend to think it's no worse then it has ever been.  The fact is, crime is down....but the reporting of it is off the charts.  People get bombarded with child kidnapping stories and start thinking their kids aren't safe to run the neighborhood.....of course they are.  A guy gets shot in a movie theater in Florida over texting.....I wouldn't have even heard about it 20 years ago.   There has always been a percentage of the population who basically can't live without turmoil in their lives.....they manufacture reasons to be offended, pizzed off, beat down, etc....not much different on that front.  I doubt they act out on those reasons any more than they ever have.  Whining seems to be up exponentially....but maybe I'm just old enough now to be tired of hearing it.

I agree, it's fun to contemplate.....but only to a degree, after that it just gets in the way of enjoying life.

2014-01-15 9:36 AM

User image

Yeah well, I've got a PET scan Friday to see if they got all the cancer when they removed my kidney so my choices are to mull stuff like this over where it doesn't really matter if I drop it mid sentence or obsess over the PET scan.

2014-01-15 9:38 AM

User image

I tend to think it's no worse then it has ever been.  The fact is, crime is down....but the reporting of it is off the charts.  People get bombarded with child kidnapping stories and start thinking their kids aren't safe to run the neighborhood.....of course they are.  A guy gets shot in a movie theater in Florida over texting.....I wouldn't have even heard about it 20 years ago.   There has always been a percentage of the population who basically can't live without turmoil in their lives.....they manufacture reasons to be offended, pizzed off, beat down, etc....not much different on that front.  I doubt they act out on those reasons any more than they ever have.  Whining seems to be up exponentially....but maybe I'm just old enough now to be tired of hearing it.

This is a very, VERY, legitimate point. Story at 10, film at 11. They had to decide what was worth developing and flying cross country to get on the news. Now everything's live all the time from every point on Earth.

2014-01-15 9:40 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DanielG Yeah well, I've got a PET scan Friday to see if they got all the cancer when they removed my kidney so my choices are to mull stuff like this over where it doesn't really matter if I drop it mid sentence or obsess over the PET scan.

Yep....good luck to you with the scan! 

My brother is on the mend from a really nasty colon cancer and resulting surgery.....but things are looking up for him.  From all the talking I did with him I can imagine a bit how you feel, but not totally I'm sure.

2014-01-15 9:43 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
Good luck with the scan Dan. Hoping for the best from here too.

2014-01-15 9:45 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Sorry, didn't mean to derail.

2014-01-15 10:11 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DanielG Sorry, didn't mean to derail.

Eh....give it a minute and someone somewhere will do something stupid and we can be back on track.

2014-01-15 10:12 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Anyone seen Anchorman 2 yet?

Yes it is supposed to be a comedy, but it really takes a good stab at the tabloid style news we have these days. Pretty good humorous look at how we went from actual news to sensationalism and the 24hr news cycle.

One story sticks in my mind about Newtown. They kept saying it was the worst school tragedy in the history of mankind, all made possible by the AR15. I read a story about some whacko in the late 1800's who blew up a school with a home made bomb and killed over 50 people. Makes you wonder if anything has really changed or if we just get to hear about everything now so it makes it seem worse.  

2014-01-15 10:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Anyone seen Anchorman 2 yet?

Yes it is supposed to be a comedy, but it really takes a good stab at the tabloid style news we have these days. Pretty good humorous look at how we went from actual news to sensationalism and the 24hr news cycle.

One story sticks in my mind about Newtown. They kept saying it was the worst school tragedy in the history of mankind, all made possible by the AR15. I read a story about some whacko in the late 1800's who blew up a school with a home made bomb and killed over 50 people. Makes you wonder if anything has really changed or if we just get to hear about everything now so it makes it seem worse.  

Like I have saidI've been a cop for nearly 3 decades and I haven't seen one single thing that makes me think life or society is more dangerous now then it was when I started, or when I was growing up.  In fact, I think it's safer by far.  Still, I've got neighbors who thought we were bad parent because we didn't know where our kids were every single minue, and then sometimes found out they had followed the creek to the  Mississippi River, or found a new path to the negihborhood behind ours where their friends were......or whatever.  But sure as hell, my neighbors thought they'd be picked up, or ran over, or who knows what.  That almost never happens......but you can get a daily dose of it if you're stupid enough to watch the news too much. 

School shootings.....horrific for sure....but you have a better chance of lightning hitting a school.  You know what I tell my kids to do if their school comes under attack?  Run in a serpentine pattern!!!!  We've had a ton of laughs over it.

I believe the crazy news people watch every day leads to crazy behavior......because you can easily start thinking the world is a really screwed up place.....when the truth is the world is a wonderful place, and life itslef is a wonder, and meant to be enjoyed,no matter what station yours happens to be at.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-01-15 10:26 AM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Want to know how polarized we are? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 0
Everything you want to know (and then some).