General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chlorine and dry skin Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-15 7:53 AM

User image

Subject: Chlorine and dry skin
Hello all!

I'm "in training" for my first sprint tri this summer, and I've been swimming a lot - really enjoying it, but I'm finding that (I guess) the chlorine is thoroughly drying out the skin on my face.

I've tried moisturizing before I go in the pool, and of course constantly after I get out, but it doesn't seem to help.

I'm wondering if anyone has any miracle cures?

Thanks!

2014-01-15 8:06 AM
in reply to: sharonlb

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Chlorine and dry skin
I've been searching for a cure for a looooong time. I just embrace the smell and how it feels and tell my peers to get over it. Gone are the days of healthy hair and skin. Rock the CI.
2014-01-15 9:01 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by sharonlb
I've tried moisturizing before I go in the pool, and of course constantly after I get out, but it doesn't seem to help.

Try a different lotion. I've had this problem for years; you aren't alone.
2014-01-15 9:24 AM

User image

I have been using "Johnson's baby oil gel" to get rid of that dry feeling. It is a little thicker than just the baby oil. I put a dab in my hand about the size of a quarter, get it a little wet (because it spreads easier that way) and rub it on dry spots while still in the shower. Then when I get out of the shower I don’t dry off by rubbing the towel, I pat dry. (does that make sense?) The areas that feel especially dry after the pool are my legs, back, lats, and arms. The baby oil gel stays for about two days maybe three depending on the pool usage.

A friend of mine sells Mary Kay and gave me some products to try. But for the face I use Mary Kay face moisturizer with a SPF of 10 or 15. It goes on light.
2014-01-15 9:33 AM
in reply to: Dub_Z

User image

Thanks for the replies - I'll try the baby oil while in the shower and see if that helps....
2014-01-15 10:29 AM
in reply to: #4931903

User image

I use raw coconut oil that I buy at Sprouts health food stores. I slather it on my whole body and face after that post swim shower. Feels and smells wonderful!

2014-01-15 10:45 AM
in reply to: dace

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
I've been battling this for decades. The solution I found was the steam room. If you have one where you swim, go sit in it for about 5 minutes, or until you break a good sweat. gets all the crud out of your skin. My chlorine smell and dry skin went away as well.
2014-01-15 10:46 AM
in reply to: dace

User image

Regular
I recently discovered that sitting in the steam sauna for about 5-6 minutes after swimming, then showering right away really rids the skin of the chlorine feel and smell.

Weird, but it works for me.
2014-01-15 11:15 AM
in reply to: DannyII

User image

Excellent! I will try the steam room as well!
2014-01-15 12:21 PM

User image

Pro

I use TriSwim shampoo, conditioner and body lotion.

I use Oil Of Olay on my face - the Complete All Day Moisturizer with Sunscreen. The generic version of this isn't quite as nice, though.

2014-01-15 8:48 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

I normally work out (run or bike) after swimming but I shower after swimming and working out and I can feel my skin being dry as can be. For my face, I use Vaseline. Yup, Vaseline. I tried lotions and everything but my face gets so dry and flaky just moving my finger across it sends skin all over. I learned that vaseline seals it up nicely after my night shower. I bought a generic scented one from Walgreens or somewhere and it actually smells like lotion. Put a thin thin layer on face and rub on your skin. Don't massage into skin hard or else it will plug things up. I put a thin later, I look a slightly shinny for 5 minutes and then normal. Oh yeah....keep this tub separate from the one you use for you...umm... nether regions for running/biking.

2014-01-15 8:53 PM
in reply to: tjfry

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tjfry I've been battling this for decades. The solution I found was the steam room. If you have one where you swim, go sit in it for about 5 minutes, or until you break a good sweat. gets all the crud out of your skin. My chlorine smell and dry skin went away as well.

^^^ there you go!

I use the dry sauna instead of the steam room but I have found the same......a good sweat gets rid of the chlorine in your skin.

2014-01-15 11:46 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Welcome to BT :)

I'm another one who likes to do some time in the sauna after the swim.  Helps warm me up and get rid of some of the chlorine.

For face lotion I have had to go to "body butter".  When I'm swimming a lot nothing else keeps up.  I like the Body Shop hemp (super heavy duty) or olive oil (my favorite) butters.  Some of the others might work, but I've tried the lemon and aloe ones, and they were just not rich enough.   They're $20/ 6oz when not on sale, but they often have sales.  I just checked, and right now they're only $10.

2014-01-16 8:41 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Thanks for all the responses!

I tried the sauna last night, and will continue to use it, (although I could have done without the elderly, speedo wearing gentleman standing in front of the door - I'm somewhat claustrophobic so that was kind of anxiety provoking!)

I guess it's a matter of hit or miss with regard to what works for individuals. I can only wait until it warms up outside and then start lake swimming - which I'm sure will create a whole host of other issues!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chlorine and dry skin Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chlorine Rash, Dry Itchy Skin, Moisturisers

Started by ENP
Views: 5695 Posts: 11

2009-09-08 11:28 AM Livestrong191

Bad sensitive skin or allergic to chlorine?

Started by crea0029
Views: 7661 Posts: 14

2018-01-14 11:20 PM nehaskino

PSA: Cheap and Effective Way to Combat Winter/Pool Dry Skin

Started by lisazapato
Views: 977 Posts: 13

2007-12-03 1:54 PM Daremo

Chlorine, skin & hair

Started by robin314159
Views: 1738 Posts: 12

2006-02-03 10:54 AM Atlantia

Chlorine and Dry skin

Started by tractoral
Views: 1435 Posts: 14

2004-04-15 10:16 PM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2013
author : hoffsquared
comments : 3
I was a bit skeptical since regular body wash and shampoos don't really seem to do the trick. But it really works!

date : November 11, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
Does compression clothing really work? Coach AJ was able to try out a line of compression wear by Skins during the 2008 Annual Hawaii Ironman Triathlon.
date : November 3, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
While not the most pleasant topic, saddles sores are a common phenomenon within the cycling community. Learn what causes saddle sores and how to prevent them from occurring.

date : July 3, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 1
There are other risks that may not be perceived because of their long term nature. This article deals with one of those, the risk of developing skin cancer.
date : June 4, 2006
author : robinskj
You don't have to wait for lost pounds, a new bike, more time to train, etc. Work with what you've got right now, and go for it!

date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.