Charleston Running Club
30F / -1C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 2s
Overall Rank = 188/265
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Up around 6 for a shower and oatmeal for breakfast. I also had coffee, then brought some water to drink on the road to the race. I arrived at about 8 a.m. and found a good parking spot near the lighthouse.
Event warmup:

Jogged to the fire station. Otherwise, just found a sunny spot to stand in.
Run
  • 1h 32m 2s
  • 15 kms
  • 06m 08s  min/km
Comments:

It was a cold day for a race - at least for us southerners! Temps were 23 when I got in the car, but it warmed up a bit before the start. I had hand-warmers in my gloves, 2 layers of wool (undershirt and long underwear) under my L/S tech shirt, buff and wool hat. Overkill? I don't know, I didn't think so at the time. Started off right after 8:30 am and the first mile is crowded, since 5k and 15k all start together. I felt ok, and thought I would just work on getting warmed up for the first 5k, try not to look at my time.

The first 5k went well, though I did stop and get water at the first stop. After that point - that was only 2 miles in - I felt a little bit like - woah, I have 7 more miles to go! Why do I feel tired? I am definitely not used to running in colder weather though, and the hat bugged me, and the hand warmers were really too much, so I took them out around mile 3. I actually took a glove off, too, and my buff, and unzipped my collar. I just generally felt too hot on mile 4. If I had not pinned my race number to the outermost layer, I definitely would have taken off the tech shirt at that point.

I decided to take my gel at mile 5, where there was a water stop. I felt kind of tired, and keeping the pace below 10 min/miles felt hard. I took my gel, got water and a nice hug from Rachel at the water stop :-) That gave me some energy for the next 2 miles. For miles 8 and 9, I started to feel cold again, especially when we started to head back to Ft. Moultrie. The wind picked up and since I had sweated, I got a little chilly! At that point, I was super glad that I had not taken off a layer.

The last mile was tough and involved some counting exercises to keep my cadence going. I remember counting backwards from 100 three times in that last little bit. I just wanted to finish, and since I had been maintaining under 10 min. per mile, I had this idea that my time would be under 1:30. Well, imagine my surprise when I saw 1:31:40-something on the clock at the finish line. I forgot how much longer 15k is than 9 miles! It's like 9.3 miles! Still, I was happy with it, and even happier to get 3rd in my AG. It's a PR, too!
What would you do differently?:

No hand-warmers for the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Apple and water, hung around and talked to some people after the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well, I am pretty happy with it, but I felt like the effort level was a little high. Mentally, I really had to work to get through this race. I wonder why, if I need to put in fewer miles on the treadmill and more on the road? Or am I slacking off a little too much?

Event comments:

I really like this race. I like the course, and I enjoy the group of people who come out for it. Despite the cold, lots of people came. They also did a great raffle at the end, and I got a 25$ gift certificate for TrySports :-)

Last updated: 2014-01-21 12:00 AM
Running
01:32:02 | 15 kms | 06m 08s  min/km
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 188/265
Performance: Good
Course: Flat route through Sullivan's Island. First we head south from the fire station, right after the church and make the long loop through to those new pieces of property on the inland side of the island. After that turn-around, we head back up to the street we came in on but hang a right at Ft. Moultrie to start up some the streets toward the inlet. The turnaround near the inlet is at 5 miles. Once we head back, we make one more small loop after Ft. Moultrie, this time in the opposite direction so we turn left after the church to head back to the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-01-26 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Charlie Post Classic
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Charlie Post Classic Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Charlie Post Classic

Started by melanfi
Views: 722 Posts: 1

2013-01-26 2:24 PM melanfi

Charlie Post Classic

Started by melanfi
Views: 672 Posts: 1

2012-01-29 10:24 AM melanfi

Charlie Baker Weekly TT - 9.75 Miles

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 931 Posts: 1

2010-09-08 7:37 PM natethomas2000

Charlie Post Classic

Started by kwschutte
Views: 812 Posts: 1

2009-02-10 2:57 PM kwschutte

Charlie Post Classic

Started by charleston
Views: 1310 Posts: 1

2009-01-31 9:10 AM charleston
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?

date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.
date : August 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
I have a Specialized Allez Elite road bike with aero bars. It has the stock seatpost. I am interested in changing the seat post to one that is more forward. What would I look for?

date : June 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
By adequately fueling with protein and carbohydrates within 30-minutes post workout, consecutive workouts will be more successful.
date : December 17, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 2
The Monday after the race, I go to my health club for my first Pilates class in six years. I look like the fittest person here. Fortunately, I don’t mention to anyone that I’m a triathlete.

date : November 20, 2007
Depending on the length of your workout, there are several options to choose for a post-workout snack. Includes 3 smoothy recipes for workouts over 2-3 hours.
date : November 4, 2007
comments : 4
What you eat prior to your workout will determine your energy levels during a workout. What you eat after a workout will determine how quickly you recover.

date : February 8, 2007
author : AMSSM
I find this is occurring after almost every workout. The pattern is always the same: freezing 10 min after a workout and 2 hours to warm up again. I am not sick. My diet is healthy.