General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which Sprint/Olympic tri to do around New York city? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-09 10:12 PM

Subject: Which Sprint/Olympic tri to do around New York city?
Hello,

Trying to schedule my first full season and I'm looking to benefit from your collective knowledge!
Which tri are must do in and around NY city?
I don't want to go to far and ideally would like not to have to sleep there overnight.
Thank you all for your advices!
Cheers
Andre

2014-02-10 5:05 PM
in reply to: Dayday83

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: RE: Which Sprint/Olympic tri to do around New York city?
WWW.nytc.og schedules a bunch of tris/dus of sprint/Olympic distance in at least 4 boroughs (haven't seen queens yet) and some nice races in the Hudson valley. there is of course the NYC tri but that's pretty hard to get in to. If you have access to a car I would recommend heading out of NYC. Lotsof races within an hour+ drive and a few you can get to by train.
2014-02-10 5:08 PM
in reply to: #4946919

User image

There's a great race company here on Long Island. Eventpowerli.com. they have a race about every three weeks. Their races tend to be on the Eastern half of long island but are accessable by train. The Riverhead rocks oly is a great race and Montauk in September is fantastic. The tobay sprint in august has about 1200 racers with a challenging hill on both bike and run. Good luck planning your schedule. There's lots to do.
2014-02-26 10:11 PM
in reply to: djmtrier

Thank you both for your help!
Best,
2014-02-27 12:57 PM

The Westchester Tri in Rye, NY is a great Oly distance race. Simple train ride or easy drive from NYC. The Westchester fills up very quickly, so check out the registration date.

There's a good tri in Stamford (oly distance) and a sprint in Greenwich - both easily accessible by train. West Point hosts one too. Sleep Hollow sprint is also supposed to be good.

Good luck.
2014-03-04 5:01 PM

User image

Expert
New York

If you have transportation options, do the West Point Tri in August. I've done it twice, good energy, enjoyable course, close by, really nice people -- excellent pace booty.

http://www.usma.edu/triathlon/sitepages/west%20point%20triathlon.aspx

2014-03-11 10:00 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by Dayday83

Hello,

Trying to schedule my first full season and I'm looking to benefit from your collective knowledge!
Which tri are must do in and around NY city?
I don't want to go to far and ideally would like not to have to sleep there overnight.
Thank you all for your advices!
Cheers
Andre

I loved the Rev 3 in Quassy, in CT. There's no race-day check in, so you'd have to stay overnight, though.

Flat as a Pancake (Sprint) in Staten Island in June is a fun local race that attracts most of the local tri clubs. You can get there on mass transit-- take the ferry over to SI and ride your bike from the ferry terminal to the race.

If you're looking to start your multi-sport season early, there are a couple of good duathlons in Prospect Park in Brooklyn in April and May. Go to citytri.com.

I would STAY AWAY from the Long Island Gold Coast tri in Huntington. It's poorly run and overcrowded to the point of being irresponsible and dangerous.
2014-03-11 4:02 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

I would STAY AWAY from the Long Island Gold Coast tri in Huntington. It's poorly run and overcrowded to the point of being irresponsible and dangerous.

Just to clarify, the Long Island Gold Coast Triathlon is held in Port Washington (and it is called TriOneOn or something now). There is a race near Huntington but it is put on by a completely different group. In either case, I would agree that compared to many of the other races in the area that the race formerly know as the Long Island Gold Coast is a real dog.

It has been a couple of years since I actually did a race but I typically enjoyed the ones put on by NYTC and EventPowerLI (though they are, as you would expect, mostly on Long Island). When I started, I got the sense that the only true iconic race within the NYC area is the NYC Triathlon, but others may feel differently.
2014-03-12 1:09 PM
in reply to: Sulcus

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by Sulcus

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Just to clarify, the Long Island Gold Coast Triathlon is held in Port Washington (and it is called TriOneOn or something now). There is a race near Huntington but it is put on by a completely different group. In either case, I would agree that compared to many of the other races in the area that the race formerly know as the Long Island Gold Coast is a real dog.

It has been a couple of years since I actually did a race but I typically enjoyed the ones put on by NYTC and EventPowerLI (though they are, as you would expect, mostly on Long Island). When I started, I got the sense that the only true iconic race within the NYC area is the NYC Triathlon, but others may feel differently.

Sorry-- you're right-- got my LI geography mixed up. LI Gold Coast is indeed in Port Washington.

As far as "iconic" races go, you're probably right that the NYC Tri is the most nationally known race, but there are a bunch of local races that have very loyal followings. Some of them attract people from all over the country. MightyMan in Montauk (of EventPowerLI) is probably the best example. The NJ State Tri in Princeton is a great race with a big, loyal following, and Quassy is getting pretty well known nationally as one of the most challenging Oly/Halfs in the Northeast. I personally love Flat as a Pancake in Staten Island not because it's the most scenic course (it isn't) or the most challenging (nope), but it's really the only truly local tri within the 5 boros, at least until the Brooklyn Tri gets its act together. Not many people are going to get up early or drive very far for a local sprint where the ride is four loops of a three mile out-and-back in a residential neighborhood and the run is on a deserted boardwalk, so what you get is almost entirely New Yorkers. Pretty much every local tri club is out in force, and it definitely has a New York/Staten Island "flavor" to it. (There used to be and maybe still are contests for most pushups and best tattoos after the race, and the race t-shirt is usually a wife-beater. How YOU doin'?)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which Sprint/Olympic tri to do around New York city? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

ING New York City Marathon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by cobannero
Views: 7313 Posts: 34

2009-10-06 8:31 PM oceanannie

ING New York City Marathon Pages: 1 2

Started by dhyte
Views: 4944 Posts: 32

2009-03-27 10:44 AM sneakerchimp

Nautica New York City Triathlon

Started by condorman
Views: 3661 Posts: 13

2008-06-21 9:15 PM dexter

New to this and looking for people in New York City

Started by wags3671
Views: 1036 Posts: 10

2007-05-07 3:00 PM mburkhart

New York City Triathlon

Started by Jomwilli
Views: 3380 Posts: 15

2007-07-21 7:23 PM jmk-brooklyn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
comments : 0
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : July 31, 2006
author : Ontherun
This is NOT a diet book, but a weightloss book that has helped me change how I see food and the choices I make when I eat.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.