General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS training in Kemah Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-21 10:37 AM

Subject: OWS training in Kemah
Hello BT,
I am new to the Tri scene this year and will be doing the Kemah Tri in late April. I have started my training and know that the swim will be the hardest part for me. I have started one of the training schedules that was suggested to me on this site and will be pool training until the water is warm enough to swim in.
I have done some searching on the site and found that there is a common problem. Nobody has a good place to train for open water swims. Well, I would like to offer a place to train if we want to get a few people together or a group. It's in Kemah just about 3/4 of a mile down the shore from the Kemah Tri location. It will probably be at least late march before the water is warm enough to comfortably train in.
If you are interested please let me know.

2014-02-21 2:28 PM
in reply to: captnickm

User image

Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: OWS training in Kemah
I'd definitely be open to this. The Kemah tri in April will be my first tri, and I'm pretty worried about the swim.

I don't know if you know about them, but there are 2 lakes that you can practice in near Pearland. Lake 288 and Twin Lakes Scuba Park. I've not been to either but there are some members that have been. There is an older thread about them.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Keep me in mind when you think about going out there... I really need the practice
2014-02-28 11:04 AM
in reply to: captnickm

Veteran
TEXAS
hate to break the news but there is really nowhere to OWS in Kemah area.
If you try to swim off the pier you will likely be ticketed plus a lot of oyster beds in the area.
If doing the Olympic it is a straight line from the boat to swim out.

Be aware swim is in Galveston Bay and conditions can change literally hourly.
Smooth to chop to rollers etc.

Salt water swim , dark and murky water also
2014-03-01 10:22 PM
in reply to: #4953300

I guess I should be more clear. I live on the bay in Kemah and would be happy to host some training days if you want. There are no oyster beds and yes the water is salty and murky. I promise I won't write you a ticket for swimming of my property.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS training in Kemah Rss Feed