General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin pain and new running shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-22 9:54 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Shin pain and new running shoes
BACKGROUND:
I'm still a noobie runner, having become an "adult-onset runner" at the age of 44. I took a Good Form Running class, and run right around 180 strides/minute. Things have been going well, and I'm registered for my first half-marathon in late April.

ISSUE:
I recently replaced my Brooks Ghost 4 shoes with Brooks Ghost 5. Lately, my left shin has been hurting quite a bit after my long run (8 miles this morning). Today, I went back to my old shoes, and so far, no pain. Any thoughts as to why this might be?

2014-02-22 11:53 AM
in reply to: DannyII

User image

Subject: RE: Shin pain and new running shoes
I had a pair of Brooks Adrenaline that would give me terrible cramps in my calf. I would switch back to my old shoes and be fine. Thought it was really weird at the time to think that a shoe could case this but months later if I tried to wear those shoes I would cramp up. I have had a couple pair of differant shoes since with no problems. Could be that your shins do not like your new shoes?
2014-02-22 4:01 PM
in reply to: AkABuzz

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
I recently had/have this with trail shoes. I had never used trail shoes, but when I started using them I started getting both calve and foot cramps in both feet. It would last about 3 miles then go away. Used my non-trail shoes(same maker) for a few runs and the cramps went away. Wore the trail shoes, they came back. I finally have narrowed it down to I simply don't have the body weight to bend the rock plate while keeping my normal midfoot strike.

I finally accepted the trail shoes don't work for me.
2014-02-22 4:02 PM
in reply to: LittleCat

User image

Regular
I'm going to try alternating the shoes for a while, and see if I can't "break in" the newer ones.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin pain and new running shoes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Minimalist shoes --> 'Normal' running shoes and foot pain

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 2802 Posts: 10

2011-11-17 11:53 AM natethomas2000

Pain in my side, pain in my shins....

Started by SoberTriGuy
Views: 1344 Posts: 11

2012-01-08 10:08 PM bigpaps

Shin pain - would you run today?

Started by _Deb_
Views: 781 Posts: 8

2011-01-04 11:48 AM Artemis

New shoes - calf/shin pain normal?

Started by sdbryant
Views: 5301 Posts: 7

2008-05-20 3:02 PM Scout7

New shoes, new pain

Started by leila
Views: 1129 Posts: 9

2004-04-13 11:36 AM ccessex
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : March 23, 2011
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.
date : April 22, 2009
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.

date : September 17, 2008
I still have heel pain and shin pain, and now I've got a weird pain in the center of my foot. Do you think I should have an x-ray to make sure that I don't have a stress fracture in my foot?
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : November 6, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Tips for completing the run portion of your first triathlon plus exercises and stretches to possibly help your shins.
date : July 30, 2006
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
2004 Product reviews for stability shoes for neutral foot types