General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Preparing for half ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-24 7:36 PM

User image

Subject: Preparing for half ironman
Hello everyone:

So I'm a new[er] endurance competitor, long time runner, and just scheduled my first half ironman for late summer. My fitness level doesn't concern me at all but the one this I can use a hand with is gear for my bike and possibly swim. Last season I invested in a Cervelo P2 and it's bare bones without any upgrades. I definitely need hydration recommendations along with storage for my fix-a-flat kit. Here is what I have so you have a better understanding:

-Triathlon Shoes
-Lazer helmet
-Shoe clips
-Sunglasses
-Garmin 910xt
-Goggles (swim)

I was looking at a hydro tail for my cervelo but wasn't sure if I needed a different attachment for my P2 Also, can someone recommend me something in line with nutrition to take with me on the bike. I usually take gels and a drink with electrolytes, I don't take them together so I don't overload my carbohydrates.

Thanks in advance!

2014-02-25 3:00 PM
in reply to: Jacket_runner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northbrook
Subject: RE: Preparing for half ironman
You might need some of the following:

- a transition bag, some use a big duffel bag others get a specific bag like the Rocket Science Rocket bag.
- bottle cages for hydtration
- ear plugs unless you are ok with water going into your ears
- good socks
- arm warmers or arm coolers, depending on the weather
- fuelbox for your bike to hold all your stuff in, unless you carry everything with you in your jersey pockets
- number belt

I'll post more if i think of it. Good luck!
2014-02-25 5:03 PM
in reply to: Maks Tri

User image

I like having a saddlebag under my seat for tubes, CO2 and any misc items I might need. I then like having an aerobag that I can keep my scaps in and a couple shot blocks, depending on the race I can depend on the course nutrition but I like to keep a couple items handy just in case and the aerobag is so handy you don't have to stop to get something. You can keep items in your bike jersey pockets too.

I didn't see you say you had a bike jersey that would be helpful the back pockets can come in handy.

I'd also recommend a frame pump even if you have CO2 because you never know when you might have trouble and its good to have a backup.
2014-02-25 5:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
N Carolina
You have the most important items (P2, Lazer helmet, 910xt, etc).

I, personally, do not wear socks for any distance.

Also, have you thought about aero wheels?

ETA: Will your race be wetsuit legal? If yes, do you have one or will you rent or borrow?

Edited by japarker24 2014-02-25 5:16 PM
2014-02-25 7:22 PM
in reply to: japarker24

User image

I forgot to mention my bike jerseys I have. I have been looking at purchasing sleeveless top jersey. Also, I don't wear socks - I'm one of those crazies that wear vibram five fingers. For my transition I have a bag or I take a laundry basket filled with my stuff in it.

As for aero wheels, I have checked into them but I'm not quite sure which kind to get or that are going to maximize my cost effectiveness. Do you have any recomendations?

Wetsuit, not sure. I haven't used it in the past and I didn't really plan to use one.
2014-02-27 10:59 AM

User image

Pro

most cost effective (new) aero wheels are probably the FLO's.

But you're still young.  Save some aero goodies for when you're older and presumably have more available cash.  

I'm thinking that a good tri-suit (find one on sale) might be your best 'aero' as well as comfort investment.  a baggy/wrinkled club-fit cycling shirt will cost you more aero points than those box rims of yours. and- believe if or not, a good tri-suit is more aerodynamic than that 'skin' you're sporting in your avatar.  (the Pearl Izumi Octane tri-suit has tested to be very aero)

2014-02-27 12:54 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Don't worry I don't believe I was running fast enough there to take advantage of aero dynamics ha ha. Thank you for the suggestion and I will look into the speed suit. I can definitely use the storage for some gels!

If I wanted I could afford to go Zipps. Being a finance/accounting guy, I usually research then make a determination based on costs benefit analysis of the products. It's a curse, but where I get lost at is the time saving differences between different wheel-sets.
2014-02-28 8:50 AM

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
i think looking into the next flo orderset or used zipp would be great.
DO you need a bike fit?
2014-02-28 10:25 AM
in reply to: cxk9758

User image

Yes, that was the most important part because I had been riding on a 2006 Trek 1000. Great bike but I could tell I was never fit properly on it. My P2 fits like a glove and is incredibly comfortable!

If I went used Zipps where is the best place to look for these? Also, I checked the 808s and 404s; I'm roughly 5'8" and weigh around 140. Would handling be of any concern since I am on the lighter side?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Preparing for half ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Preparing to sell Aluminum Cervelo P3

Started by Carlbach
Views: 2573 Posts: 7

2013-07-17 5:52 AM audiojan

Help me pick AeroBars: First Half-Ironman

Started by JG_GreenCoast
Views: 2726 Posts: 6

2010-11-20 6:43 PM JG_GreenCoast

gear for half ironman

Started by beaujacques
Views: 3212 Posts: 6

2010-04-19 3:27 PM GaryRM

Suggestions for tri suit/shorts for first Half Ironman

Started by kbunning
Views: 3690 Posts: 3

2010-03-21 2:07 PM KathyG

How to prepare Hed 3 clinchers

Started by mndiver
Views: 1042 Posts: 5

2007-07-02 5:11 PM ADollar79
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : January 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
Inclusion is the key, with elements of the ride fulfilling the training and social needs of 95% of the membership. We have found that course selection, leadership have been the keys.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.