General Discussion Race Reports! » 50 Miler Ultra - Antelope Island Buffalo Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

50 Miler Ultra - Antelope Island Buffalo Run - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Antelope Island, Utah
United States
Buffalo Run Adventures
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 44m 31s
Overall Rank = 26/150
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 4/19
Pre-race routine:

My first Ultra. In fact this is my first-ever stand alone running race. Not even so much as a 5K. Any running has been on the back side of a triathlon.
A brand new adventure to be had..... and it was.
Based on my test runs, none of which cleared the 30 mile mark, I'd hoped to do between 7:30 -8:30.
A 50 mile run turned out to be much harder than I ever gave it credit for.
Up at 3:45am, put down a large bowl of oatmeal, 2 slices of wheat toast, 1 banana & a can of Ensure Plus (approx. 1,000 cal).
In the car and off to Antelope Island, approx. an hour drive. An hour spent listening to the radio and trying not to think about the long day ahead. Was quite a nice drive.
By the time I arrived at the Island there was about 10 minutes to pre-race briefing and about 20 minutes to start. Not near as hectic as a triathlon so I ended up with time to spare.
Run
  • 8h 44m 31s
  • 50 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

The plan was to pace my self at about 10 MM for the first 19 miles, through the climbs and descents. I knew the rest of the race was fairly flat so I planned to crank it up over the last 30 miles and drop to a 9MM pace so I could finish at about a 9;30MM pace which would translate to a sub 8 hr day.
The first 19 went exactly as planned, and when I hit the East side I was at 9:58MM. The next 11 miles would be a tailwind, so I figured I better drop below the 9MM because I would be battling that same wind coming back.
I was doing okay until about mile 29-30. It was getting hard to hold that pace even with the tailwind.
I staggered into the mile 34 aid station (the turn around) in a very very dark place. All the volunteers were having a big ol party that looked a heck of lot funner than what I was doing.
I spent a little to long at the turn-around, and lost some serious time I would never make back up.
Pushing out of the turn -around, I still was in that dark space. I kinda resigned myself to the fact that that is probably where I would spend the rest of the run.
But something happened about mile 38 that I can't explain. My legs just seemed happier as long as they were turning over, so I didn't really spend any time walking from there to the end (except for a little 300 yd climb).
From mile 45-47 I had dropped to an 8:30MM, but then I hit the technical section that was so rocky it was impossible to keep that pace, even though I felt ok.
Out of the Rocky section and toward the finish I felt good. Crossed the line feeling very good about how the day ended (I was concerned at mile 33 that I was so miserable I would never want to do this again). Very happy to have pulled out of that black hole I seemed to have been in.
My nutrition seemed pretty good. By chance I bought two Almond Butter packets at striders during packet pick-up, and it was a nice change from the gu. The expresso almond butter was perfect.
At mile 42 I had a little encounter with a buffalo. From about 200 yds away I could see it meandering closer and closer to the trail. As I approached the buffalo I could see he was more interested in eating so I kept my eyes on the trail, while keeping him in my peripherals. As I passed by I came within 12-15 ft. As I passed by he wandered closer to the trail, until he was right there. I was in the clear, but I wondered about the runners who were back behind me.
The 50 Miler proved to be a lot more difficult than I had given in credit for. I've got that under my belt now, so I have the race and volunteer requirements to sign up for the Bear 100. Of course, the way I feel right now I'm not falling over myself to get signed up. I need to let the memory of the pain of this one fad a bit.

What would you do differently?:

Definitely do some longer training runs. I don't think I needed to a complete 50 in training, but I think a 38 miler could've prepared me a little better for that low spot.
Post race

Last updated: 2014-03-15 12:00 AM
Running
08:44:31 | 50 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/19
Overall: 26/150
Performance:
Course: Kind of a figure 8. The first 18 miles is on the West side of the Island that takes you through about 2600 ft of climbing and descending. Mile 19-21 is the cross over to the other side and then it's fairly flat for the rest of the race (except for a 1/4 mile section climbing back up to the Buffalo Corrals.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-03-23 10:41 PM

User image

Regular
Logan, Utah
Subject: 50 Miler Ultra - Antelope Island Buffalo Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 50 Miler Ultra - Antelope Island Buffalo Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Antelope Island 100k and 50k

Started by RoniS
Views: 1643 Posts: 5

2011-11-14 5:07 PM ashort33

OPSF Ultra 50/50

Started by jcash683
Views: 1135 Posts: 1

2010-02-15 10:40 PM jcash683

The North Face Endurance Challenge 50 KM (Run - Ultra Marathon)

Started by astro
Views: 1136 Posts: 1

2010-01-18 3:58 PM astro

OPSF Ultra 50/50

Started by getsome
Views: 2250 Posts: 2

2009-11-10 4:43 PM jcash683

Chicago 50/50 - 50 Miler

Started by chirunner134
Views: 1914 Posts: 2

2008-11-03 7:15 PM enginerd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 13, 2012
author : tesselate331
comments : 26
Doing triathlons will help you re-energize your optimism about life and feel 30 again. I promise!

date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.
date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Is gear overlap from the big to small ring a consideration? Will the ratio increment of the compact setup be very beneficial to my riding?
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.